Trouble with startup menu

I go to run>msconfig>startup and uncheck a lot of junk that is loading. I
apply and then restart.

When I restart, the system comes up with a page asking whether I want to run
in xp or restore mode then it starts in XP and runs all the programs I had
unchecked in startup. When I look at startup portion under system config
again, the programs have check marks back. I have to go into the General
tab and rechoose normal startup in the system config utility.

Computer's only a day old and haven't been on the net much. Several anti
spy and anti virus scans are negative.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Chet

You will also have to go into these programs configuration interfaces to uncheck any "start when windows starts options." Most of the problem programs will reinitiate themselves in the startup even after you ucheck them in msconfig\starup because you have them programmed to start when window starts in their configurations so they see the unchecking of them in msconfig\startup as an error and recheck the program for you. }:~)
--
There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.