Sign in with
Your question
Closed

DirectX 10 for Windows XP!

Last response: in Video Games
April 24, 2007 11:53:27 PM

Unless of course Microsoft shuts them down, or buy them out and charge for the DX10 for XP.
One of these two options is going to happen, since other than DX10 what else is the reason that would make you switch to Vista?
April 25, 2007 1:03:35 PM

Implementing DX10 in XP is an impossible task, because in a capitalist society, it is impossible to do something for a loss. :p 

Well, when dx10 games come out, we shall see!
Related resources
April 26, 2007 1:48:24 AM

By the time this becomes official, Microsoft will probably not invest time and money trying to incorporate new technology into a older Operating System. They'll most likely stick it on Vista, and leave it as that. Maybe they'll have a smaller version for it on XP for some users. But other than that, I think otherwise.
April 29, 2007 2:13:32 AM

Don't get your hopes up... At least I got Vista for $12 so I'm all set! :wink: It might be nice even for me now because I like XP MCE's interface better than Vista's. Is it also saying DX9 cards can run on it? That would be awesome as I have a 7600 GT.
May 3, 2007 12:25:36 PM

I Want vista for $12 maybe I would try it then.
May 3, 2007 9:28:10 PM

Quote:
I Want vista for $12 maybe I would try it then.

Sorry I think the deal already ended. I got the express upgrade home premium version.
May 10, 2007 8:12:49 AM

Last I heard it didn't actually work.
May 10, 2007 10:40:16 PM

Quote:

Believe me, it did. And I have a copy of Vista home premium express upgrade to show for it.
May 11, 2007 8:47:24 AM

Oh god, why would you ever want DirectX 10 on windows XP if you are only going to use a DX9 graphics card. And if this does actually work you will then have the problem of games being designed for Vista having to be hacked if that is even possible to run with DirectX10 on windows XP, which because of the way the drivers work in Vista may not be at all possible unless specifically designed to do so by the game designer.

Stop being silly and stop being one of those people that stayed with Windows98 when XP was released because the games worked a tad faster and 98 booted up a hand full of seconds sooner.
May 11, 2007 5:24:12 PM

My objections to Vista are more than just the speed difference.
I am willing to pay attention and give these guys a chance to make it work because I have no reason at all to spend hundreds of dollars on an OS upgrade EXCEPT for DX10.

If they can make DX10 work good enough to play any DX10 games I am interested in then I would gladly send them $50 to keep up the good work. That is the same $50 I would gladly give Microsoft for a windows XP version of DX10. That is all I value that feature at, and to be honest, most of the other "features" of Vista detract from the value I put in it.
May 12, 2007 12:34:59 AM

why do ppl bash the idea of being able to play vista dedicated games on xp, to be honest i like the idea of not using vista, and getting some things to work on xp instead of vista, since i hate vista lol
May 13, 2007 1:45:15 AM

Quote:

Believe me, it did. And I have a copy of Vista home premium express upgrade to show for it.

Didn't read the article, so I probably missed something. Thought it was a rehash of how someone just ported files from Vista to XP to try and use DX10, but couldn't get it going in the end.
May 13, 2007 4:40:30 AM

Quote:

Didn't read the article, so I probably missed something. Thought it was a rehash of how someone just ported files from Vista to XP to try and use DX10, but couldn't get it going in the end.

Sorry I think were talking about different subjects. :oops:  Were you saying the XP port of DX 10 didn't work? I thought you were saying the Vista Express upgrade didn't work. My bad! Yes, I think you were right about DX10 on XP though.
May 13, 2007 12:12:08 PM

Quote:
Don't get your hopes up... At least I got Vista for $12 so I'm all set! :wink: It might be nice even for me now because I like XP MCE's interface better than Vista's. Is it also saying DX9 cards can run on it? That would be awesome as I have a 7600 GT.

Vista for $12?!??, i got mine for 3 bucks.
May 13, 2007 1:54:28 PM

Quote:

Lol really?
May 13, 2007 2:30:22 PM

Quote:

Lol really?

yeah really, from the local pirate dealer, btw how much genuine Vista costs?
May 13, 2007 3:56:17 PM

Quote:

Lol really?

yeah really, from the local pirate dealer, btw how much genuine Vista costs?

lol actually vista costs $3 in China, lol no one wanted to buy it so m$ sells it for that price there, and so fat they sold not much more than 244 coppies of it since its lounch lol, thats hows how crappy it is lol ;) ....amongst other things ;) 
September 2, 2008 11:15:08 PM

DirectX10 RC2 Fix3-Pre for windows XP

Why DirectX 10?

DirectX 10 Games for Windows Titles (some examples):
Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures
Hellgate: London
BioShock
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Acceleration
Crysis
World in Conflict
Gears of War for Windows

Other articles
http://www.technospot.net/blogs/download-directx-10-for...

Torrent download
http://www.mininova.org/tor/1708716

Note DirectX 10 compatible video card is required to make it work

HOPE IT HELPS...
September 3, 2008 12:20:05 AM

Interesting that it does work, is it stable?
September 3, 2008 12:34:28 AM

Added article:

http://www.softwareheadlines.com/modules/planet/view.ar...

I installed it... whew! it works and fully integrated to my Windows XP Sp3

It really turns on the eye candies ^_^

According to ATI with DirectX 10 means highest efficiency and performance

DirectX 9 Architecture Pixel Shaders have little work and remain idle... So whats the use of that multi shader you got but stocked at DX9... ^_^

Other Download Link: RC2 version (almost final) DX 10 ver 4.10.0000.6000

http://rapidshare.com/files/142192824/DirectX.10.for.XP...
September 3, 2008 3:02:29 AM

Ah this is the Alky project. I lost track of it but I read about it way back when Vista was just coming out. I thought this was a DX10 game emulator, not a true DX10 hack for XP.

I am very skeptical of all DX10 vs DX9 screen shots. The Flight Simulator shot looks like DX9 on low and DX10 on very high. just to make a contrast.

Going off Crysis, I can tell no difference at all in the DX9 very high vs DX10 versions. Here is a site to help.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6182140/index.html
September 3, 2008 4:02:51 AM

SpinachEater said:
Ah this is the Alky project. I lost track of it but I read about it way back when Vista was just coming out. I thought this was a DX10 game emulator, not a true DX10 hack for XP.

I am very skeptical of all DX10 vs DX9 screen shots. The Flight Simulator shot looks like DX9 on low and DX10 on very high. just to make a contrast.

Going off Crysis, I can tell no difference at all in the DX9 very high vs DX10 versions. Here is a site to help.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6182140/index.html

and if done right, direct x 9 can do everything that dx10 can do visually the problem is that it will come at a much greater performance hit which will make the game unplayable no matter how fast the card as you will be pushing the limits of what dx9 can efficiently handle in a render engine

it is like how the nvidia grove demo which was made to test the geforce 2, was able to lag a geforce 8800GTX to single digits frame rates when many trees were rendered even though you will see 100 times more trees in crysis and with more detail

there have not been any of those test done using dx10 in xp

in the link you posted was done with dx 9

also as you can see at lower settings for both xp and vista, xp performs faster as on low settings the videocard is no longer a bottleneck thats when the resource hogging os shows it's face

thats why theres so much of a push for dx 10 on xp

I would test it out but i have a geforce 6800 which tops out at direct x 9

when I get a dx 10 card, then I will do a comparison of crysis for xp vs vista in dx10

September 3, 2008 11:46:23 AM

does using dx10 lower or increase performance if i install the dx10 thing for xp
September 3, 2008 1:00:03 PM

cafuddled said:
Oh god, why would you ever want DirectX 10 on windows XP if you are only going to use a DX9 graphics card. And if this does actually work you will then have the problem of games being designed for Vista having to be hacked if that is even possible to run with DirectX10 on windows XP, which because of the way the drivers work in Vista may not be at all possible unless specifically designed to do so by the game designer.

Stop being silly and stop being one of those people that stayed with Windows98 when XP was released because the games worked a tad faster and 98 booted up a hand full of seconds sooner.

The only reason DX9 couldn't be ported to XP is because M$ wrote a few Vista only funciton calls into the DLL's so you couldn't just copy/paste. I'm just surprised this took as long as it did.

BTW, does this come with an uninstaller in case things break?
September 3, 2008 1:19:43 PM

pogsnet said:

http://www.technospot.net/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/tn_dxd10.jpg

Why DirectX 10?

http://www.techmixer.com/pic/2008/06/directx9.jpg
http://www.techmixer.com/pic/2008/06/directx10.jpg

BioShock
Crysis
World in Conflict
Gears of War for Windows

Other articles
http://www.technospot.net/blogs/download-directx-10-for...

Torrent download
http://www.mininova.org/tor/1708716

Note DirectX 10 compatible video card is required to make it work

HOPE IT HELPS...

I really don't want to break your wind mate, but, those images are fake. Or lets put it this way, it is advertising getting too smart. Too smart to even be advertising. They are quite old now , and it generated quite a fuss, until DX10 and Dx10 were mainstream, and everybody start bashing them.

Quoting yourself once more:

pogsnet said:
BioShock
Crysis
World in Conflict
Gears of War for Windows

Age of Conan isn't still DX10. You can only play it (for now) in DX9
Hellgate London doesn't show any diference between DX10 and DX9
BioShock is wasnt aware this was done in DX10.
Crysis, no diference what so ever between the 2.

This are the ones i played myself, and no difference was found. In that list, you don't have a best seller, or a game that did .....well. And you got some flops also. In further posts, please write down your conclusions and if needed backup it up with links.

DX10, 10.1 in this case needs to be accepted yes, but it is taking it sweet time.
September 3, 2008 1:33:59 PM

I downloaded the rar file from rapidshare and installed it. It works in that the directx diagnosis tool says that it is DX10, 3dmark also says that it is DX10. However, Crysis still has the very high settings blocked out, so I can't turn them on. I tried to reinstall Crysis and it still won't let me run very high settings. BTW I have an HD3870. Any suggestions?
September 3, 2008 1:36:00 PM

Try adding either _-DX10 or _DX10 to the end of the shortcut
September 3, 2008 2:05:43 PM

There IS no directx10 for XP those are FAKE, end of **** story.
September 3, 2008 2:17:27 PM

ThreatDown said:
There IS no directx10 for XP those are FAKE, end of **** story.

It works (I used an earlier verison, BTW), but its really buggy. Hence, PRE-Release. I expected this to be done about a year earlier than it was though...
September 3, 2008 2:26:11 PM

Try this one. From other provider RC2 Fix 2.1

Fixed version as what they call it. And I see it has more latest files DX 10 ver 4.10.0000.5515

http://rapidshare.com/files/142244195/DirectX_10_RC2_Fi...

DX10 wont give much of speed but rather more on eye candies. Speed is up to the game developer on how much they work on DX10 enhancement to increase performance or increase visual effects or both

@ThreatDown
LOL, maybe you were born yesterday... DirectX10 is officially for vista only. This is not from microsoft or infact it is a rip from vista so we can use it in XP by genius people out there. DirectX also exist on Linux OS as emulated version which is officially should not have, only MAC OS I think has no DirectX.
September 3, 2008 4:19:26 PM

Quote:
Hence, PRE-Release.

Funny thing is that these things never seem to get past "pre-release", "alpha", "beta" or anything close to completed. They always seem to just kinda sorta maybe sometimes work but only in games X Y and Z but are buggy. Or in otherwords they don't work. The problem with DX10 in XP or DX in Linux is that it has to be done in one of two ways. Emulation is fine for older applications, but using it for anything current is counterproductive unless you simply can not get the real thing. The other method, used in these types of DX10 for XP "fixes", is to create some pieced together, patched up, modded work around to make something work where it shouldn't. The problem with these things is that it's always sketchy as to whether it will actually do everything or work in every instance. That pretty much defeats the purpose of an API.
September 3, 2008 5:12:42 PM

Your missing the point though. There is no reason why you can't have DX10 on XP. What M$ did, was put in some vista only code into the SDK, so you need to do a little bit of code modification to get it to work under XP.

Hell, I already figured out how to get games to recognize DX10 ages ago, even if its not installed (hell, you can get windows to believe DX20 is installed quite easily). After that, all you need is the DLL's with the Vista-only code removed.

Thats one reason why Windows 7 is only an update to Vista: M$ will have the same issues porting DX10 over to a new OS, because they went so far to make it not run on XP.

Its still .dll and .exe. Nothing new here.
September 3, 2008 5:21:35 PM

gamerk316 said:
Your missing the point though. There is no reason why you can't have DX10 on XP. What M$ did, was put in some vista only code into the SDK, so you need to do a little bit of code modification to get it to work under XP.

Hell, I already figured out how to get games to recognize DX10 ages ago, even if its not installed (hell, you can get windows to believe DX20 is installed quite easily). After that, all you need is the DLL's with the Vista-only code removed.

Thats one reason why Windows 7 is only an update to Vista: M$ will have the same issues porting DX10 over to a new OS, because they went so far to make it not run on XP.

Its still .dll and .exe. Nothing new here.

Yes, on that i can agree. Microsfot is known for their "junkyard techniques" in several OS's just to force people upgrade or buy more software. Multi GPU is one of them, several useres on the SAME BOX simultaneous is still hidden in Windows XP code.

They never activated it. Two persons using one license ? Heretics !! M$ likes maney. Good thing god invented Piracy and Google.
September 3, 2008 5:29:52 PM

Quote:
Your missing the point though...

...get games to recognize DX10 ages ago, even if its not installed (hell, you can get windows to believe DX20 is installed quite easily)...

You're right, I don't see the point in pretending you have DX10 when you're actually running DX9. It's kind of like the idiots who put Apple stickers over the Dell logo on their laptops.
September 3, 2008 5:46:24 PM

Thats why they are offering the modified DX10 .dll's to get the programs to run.

The DirectX version is determined from one location in the System Registry, hacking that is no issue. The issue was getting the DX10 .dll's XP complient. Essentially, a conversion of function calls to something XP can understand.

The issues i'm seeing is that games won't recognise DX10 unless told explicitly to look for it, but run in DX10 fine afterward (5 more hours till I can test myself). Assuming the .dlls are put in the right location (System32 :D ), and the registry value is updated (which seems to be the case), one of two things can be happening:

At least one .dll (or even function in a .dll) is causing the entire library to be ignored, unless the game in question is specifically told to look for the files

OR

Another resistry value in the registry is not getting updated, so even though DX10 is given as the DX version, its not read as "installed", causing games to think DX9 is still the last installed DX (which doesn't make much senese, as for some reason BF2 broke...which shouldnt happen just because of a few extra .dll's it doesn't even look at...).

I'll take a look at the dll's when I get home. I've only WORKED with the SDK for the past 3 years, and it shouldn't take me too long to figure out whats going on here...
September 3, 2008 5:47:40 PM

purplerat said:

You're right, I don't see the point in pretending you have DX10 when you're actually running DX9. It's kind of like the idiots who put Apple stickers over the Dell logo on their laptops.

I am astonished with that......sentence. There are really people like that ?
September 3, 2008 6:14:48 PM

I assume you are talking about people with Apple stickers on their Dells, HPs, Acers etc? I see them all the time. I'm not sure if they really think they are fooling anybody or if they are trying to make some sort of a statement.
September 3, 2008 10:35:37 PM

The only reason no DX10 in XP is marketing... DX10 can run on windows XP. This is Alky project which eventually shutdown due to pressures from microsoft and now other groups with no name takes over the job. If you dont like this then live with your DX9 or lousy Vista wit DX10 because soon we will have DX11 on XP as soon as it is ready =P
September 3, 2008 11:03:38 PM

Those Flight simulator pictures were are actually concept art and were used as "target renders". For Bioshock, Direct X10 basically just adds soft particles, and the shadows are both slightly improved even though neither feature truly requires Direct X10. I believe Crysis' only Direct X10 feature is object based motion blur, but from what I've seen it's completely unnoticeable.
September 4, 2008 3:29:39 AM

dx10 can be done in xp and done properly, it will just take some more time
September 4, 2008 3:47:24 AM

According to Alky

These libraries will allow the use of DirectX 10 games on platforms other than Windows Vista, and increase hardware compatibility even on Vista, by compiling Geometry Shaders down to native machine code for execution where hardware isn't capable of running it. No longer will users have to upgrade their OS and video card(s) to play the latest games.

The current preview allows you to run a number of examples from the DirectX SDK on Windows XP. They're not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but we want to whet your appetite. We hope to release builds in the coming months progressing from demos to fully functional games.

September 4, 2008 1:54:23 PM

You guys appear to be missing the point: The long cancelled Alky project wrote some libraries and a bridge to do software translation of DX10 calls to DX9 so that an XP box can run DX10 content. Couple problems with this:

(1) The entire point of Direct X is that the game can 'speak' directly to the hardware for best possible performance. Adding in the overhead of a software translation layer defeats the purpose.

(2) There is functionality in DX10, such as unified vertex and pixel shaders, which does not exist in DX9. The visual effects can often be replicated, but again there is significant overhead in reading what the DX10 command is, parsing it out into the various params needed for the set of DX9 calls needed to perform the effect, and then coordinating and sending those calls so the effect can be rendered. So, more performance loss in the software layer.

(3) There are only a couple DX10 games on the market anyhow.

- - And NO, "DX10 mode" on current DX9 games isn't the same: There are certain calls which aren't incompatible and can be added to a DX9 game. Now, when running a DX9 games, Vista uses 9Ex and not DX10. This is an API set that uses the WDDM and allows Direct3D 9 applications to access some of the features available in Windows Vista. (Cross-process shared surfaces, managed graphics memory, prioritization of resources, text anti-aliasing, some advanced gamma functions) What these "DX10 Modes" do is make these few extra calls available in an otherwise DX9 game. Programmers then may, or may not, take advantage to add a little extra functionality. Usually it amounts to something on the order of teh water looking a little shinier, or whatever.

In plain English: If you can take the same CD and install it on a DX9 XP box, and a Vista box, then it is NOT DX10. It is 9 with (the potential for) added 10 calls from the 9Ex subset of the spec. If it were really DX10, it would not run on an XP box at all. Now, how many games are out there now which don't run on XP at all?? yeah...

In short - It's much ado about a dead project that doesn't actually bring any added performance to the table in the first place.
September 4, 2008 2:09:30 PM

razor512 said:
dx10 can be done in xp and done properly, it will just take some more time

No it can't. Period. Directx 10 is designed for the completely new driver model in vista, directx 10 for xp is not happening.
September 4, 2008 5:26:00 PM

ThreatDown said:
No it can't. Period. Directx 10 is designed for the completely new driver model in vista, directx 10 for xp is not happening.

The kernel layers and the DX10 API are not that closed connected. See DX10 like another API. Like DX9 or ODBC. As for more discussion look at scotteq.

He did /thread.
September 4, 2008 8:27:26 PM

xp is not as locked down as vista is, almost any part of windows can be edited

microsoft could have done dx 10 for xp but then there wouldn't be any reason for anyone to get vista.
September 5, 2008 6:46:17 PM

There are links on the net which you can research yourself which I'm so lazy now to give which they tested on DX10 games in XP where they found significant changes but they noted below Crysis was not affected by this patch.
September 5, 2008 8:43:36 PM

*sigh*

Whatever... Believe what you want...
September 5, 2008 9:27:38 PM

I would think that if anything was really happening with this there might be better search results for
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dx10+for+xp&aq=3&oq=dx10
Scanning through the first 3 pages of results I can't find anything of any relevance. I won't go as far as to say it's impossible but I love how people keep saying it's simple and Microsoft is just blocking it to increase Vista sales. If that were true it would have been done 2 years ago. Think about this, Microsoft goes to great lengths with OS activation to ensure people are paying for their OS and how easily that has been cracked. If DX10 was simply Vista exclusive to increase sales, wouldn't it reason that it would have been cracked just as easily?
!