serial id number

how do you contact microsoft to obtain my XP Pro ID #. I
lost it and need to reinstall XP. AT this point, my
machine will not boot up to locate the ID # from my
computer anymore.

IS there something I can do to get microsoft to send me my
ID #. I need to install it on the same computer.
7 answers Last reply
More about serial number

    If Windows XP is retail contact Microsoft:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326246

    If Windows XP is OEM contact the seller, Microsoft may not be able to
    help.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    ajc wrote:

    > how do you contact microsoft to obtain my XP Pro ID #. I
    > lost it and need to reinstall XP. AT this point, my
    > machine will not boot up to locate the ID # from my
    > computer anymore.
    >
    > IS there something I can do to get microsoft to send me my
    > ID #. I need to install it on the same computer.

    If this is an OEM PC, then the ID# is on a sticker on the PC.

    How do you know that? He didn't mention that in his message.

    Greetings --

    The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
    installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
    that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory
    installed) license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer
    affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

    To recover a lost Product Key:

    If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
    Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
    Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    of the drive image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product
    Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    be -- used for a re-installation.)

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, and someone has removed/destroyed the
    label, you should contact you the computer's manufacturer; although
    very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of the Product Keys
    they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a new license.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "ajc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how do you contact microsoft to obtain my XP Pro ID #. I
    > lost it and need to reinstall XP. AT this point, my
    > machine will not boot up to locate the ID # from my
    > computer anymore.
    >
    > IS there something I can do to get microsoft to send me my
    > ID #. I need to install it on the same computer.

    your best bet is to phone into microsoft support.

    "ajc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how do you contact microsoft to obtain my XP Pro ID #. I
    > lost it and need to reinstall XP. AT this point, my
    > machine will not boot up to locate the ID # from my
    > computer anymore.
    >
    > IS there something I can do to get microsoft to send me my
    > ID #. I need to install it on the same computer.

    Download this program to a floppy and run it from there:
    ViewKey
    http://www.paulsxp.com/downloads.html

    "ajc" wrote:

    > how do you contact microsoft to obtain my XP Pro ID #. I
    > lost it and need to reinstall XP. AT this point, my
    > machine will not boot up to locate the ID # from my
    > computer anymore.
    >
    > IS there something I can do to get microsoft to send me my
    > ID #. I need to install it on the same computer.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP