Your question

BIOS FSB LOCKED!! JUMPERLESS MOBO!! HELP

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • BIOS
  • Hewlett Packard
Last response: in Motherboards
August 29, 2002 5:33:17 AM

I Have a p4s333 mobo asustek so hp tells me on the support line, but the mobo says p4s-la on the board itself. SiS650 chipset pen4 1.6, 390mb ddr, geforce4 64mb,
anyway, its a jumperless motherboard and hp has not put access to the FSB speed in the bios or they have locked it out. ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CHANGE MY FSB???? PLEASE!!!!

More about : bios fsb locked jumperless mobo

August 29, 2002 5:42:42 AM

I think with those motherboards, you can actually change the multiplier rather than the FSB speed.

Knowledge is the key to understanding
August 29, 2002 5:50:31 AM

im sorry but i dont think i know of anyone who can actually change the multiplier on intel chipsets for at least the last couple of years, the multiplier IS locked out, maybe if it was a Pentium 2 or something sure
Related resources
August 30, 2002 2:58:53 AM

That's just wrong. Even if you can change the multiplier in the BIOS, it won't matter. All Intel CPU's are multiplier locked (except engineering samples) and have been since socket 7 days. If you change the multiplier in the BIOS, it will be ignored and the locked multiplier of the CPU itself will be used.

AFAIK if there are no jumpers and no setting in the BIOS to change the FSB, then you're SOL. The board should ID the spec processor settings and run at that speed. If the board is mis-identifying a processor then you should return it to have it fixed. Other than that, you simple won't be able to OC the CPU.

That (upgrade) which does not destroy you(r system's stability), makes it stronger. Nietzche
August 30, 2002 3:48:37 AM

You obviously didn't bother to read what chipset he actually has. He has a SiS chipset. I have one and from what I've seen, you can change the multiplier (even though I've never experinmented).

a b V Motherboard
August 30, 2002 3:55:26 AM

Well, you most likely have one of the three board listed at the bottom of <A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/overview_p4.htm" target="_new">This Page</A> You could try flashing the Asus BIOS to the board using a program called Uniflash (a dangerous flashing utility, it allows you to flash ANY BIOS to ANY BOARD). I'll add Uniflash to my webpage in a few minutes. You'll want to make sure you have the exact same hardware, as HP often orders their boards with missing parts.

Otherwise, you can overclock it a little using a program called SoftFSB or CPU FSB, also available on <A HREF="http://www.crashman.dns2go.com" target="_new">My Site</A>. And if you really want to get extreme, you could try one of the hardware mods I mentioned on my site.

To use SoftFSB or CPUFSB, you'll have to know the model of you Clock Generator (PLL), which is a rectangular chip located near the socket.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
August 31, 2002 3:16:39 AM

It doesn't matter what chipset he has, unless the CPU is unlocked (which it isn't unless it's an engineering sample) the multiplier setting doesn't matter. You can set it to whatever you want, but it won't make any difference, because the CPU is locked. This isn't a function of the chipset, it's controled by the CPU. There's no way to make a locked Intel processor run at any other multiplier than that which it is locked at. The only way to OC an Intel processor is to increase the FSB.

That (upgrade) which does not destroy you(r system's stability), makes it stronger. Nietzche
August 31, 2002 5:42:36 AM

Have you ever used a SiS chipset?

!