start menu after log on

How do I get the "My Recent Documents" folder not to show in the previw
menu when you go to the green start menu tab on the lower left corner?
is there a way to hide or delete this folder? I visit sites and have pictures
that I would like to keep private.
13 answers Last reply
More about start menu

    Hi

    Try here:

    Line 50 - right hand side

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups
    "gigster" <gigster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A379FB50-32E5-4621-8776-8CC15656183C@microsoft.com...
    > How do I get the "My Recent Documents" folder not to show in the previw
    > menu when you go to the green start menu tab on the lower left corner?
    > is there a way to hide or delete this folder? I visit sites and have pictures
    > that I would like to keep private.

    Thanks, no one else could help me...much appreciated!

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Try here:
    >
    > Line 50 - right hand side

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    > "gigster" <gigster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A379FB50-32E5-4621-8776-8CC15656183C@microsoft.com...
    > > How do I get the "My Recent Documents" folder not to show in the previw
    > > menu when you go to the green start menu tab on the lower left corner?
    > > is there a way to hide or delete this folder? I visit sites and have pictures
    > > that I would like to keep private.

    Can you help? After a re-format I can't activate the "Most recent documents" in Start: it's not there on the Advanced tab

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Some would have read help
    >
    > To show your most recently used documents on the Start menu
    >
    > 1.. Right-click the Start button, and then click Properties.
    > 2.. On the Start Menu tab, click Start menu, and then click Customize.
    > 3.. On the Advanced tab, select the List my most recently opened documents check box.
    > The next time you click Start, the My Recent Documents folder is on the Start menu. This folder contains the documents and files you opened recently.
    >
    > Note
    >
    > a.. On the Advanced tab, click Clear List to empty the My Recent Documents folder. This does not delete the documents from the computer.

    > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
    > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
    >
    > "gigster" <gigster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6878222-0A52-4174-8002-9151B07EFBFA@microsoft.com...
    > > Thanks, no one else could help me...much appreciated!
    > >
    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > Try here:
    > > >
    > > > Line 50 - right hand side
    > > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > Will Denny
    > > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > > > Please reply to the News Groups

    Are you on a domain network?

    "Freemount" <Freemount@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C2A634A-B7F4-4B64-9AAD-D0A4F7E59D3A@microsoft.com...
    > Can you help? After a re-format I can't activate the "Most recent documents" in Start: it's not there on the Advanced tab
    >

    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    > > Some would have read help
    > >
    > > To show your most recently used documents on the Start menu
    > >
    > > 1.. Right-click the Start button, and then click Properties.
    > > 2.. On the Start Menu tab, click Start menu, and then click Customize.
    > > 3.. On the Advanced tab, select the List my most recently opened documents check box.
    > > The next time you click Start, the My Recent Documents folder is on the Start menu. This folder contains the documents and files you opened recently.
    > >
    > > Note
    > >
    > > a.. On the Advanced tab, click Clear List to empty the My Recent Documents folder. This does not delete the documents from the computer.
    > >
    > > --
    > > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
    > > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
    > >
    > > "gigster" <gigster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6878222-0A52-4174-8002-9151B07EFBFA@microsoft.com...
    > > > Thanks, no one else could help me...much appreciated!

    Pro/home?

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "Freemount" <Freemount@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C2A634A-B7F4-4B64-9AAD-D0A4F7E59D3A@microsoft.com...
    > Can you help? After a re-format I can't activate the "Most recent documents" in Start: it's not there on the Advanced tab
    >

    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    > > Some would have read help
    > >
    > > To show your most recently used documents on the Start menu
    > >
    > > 1.. Right-click the Start button, and then click Properties.
    > > 2.. On the Start Menu tab, click Start menu, and then click Customize.
    > > 3.. On the Advanced tab, select the List my most recently opened documents check box.
    > > The next time you click Start, the My Recent Documents folder is on the Start menu. This folder contains the documents and files you opened recently.
    > >
    > > Note
    > >
    > > a.. On the Advanced tab, click Clear List to empty the My Recent Documents folder. This does not delete the documents from the computer.
    > >
    > > --
    > > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
    > > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
    > >
    > > "gigster" <gigster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6878222-0A52-4174-8002-9151B07EFBFA@microsoft.com...
    > > > Thanks, no one else could help me...much appreciated!

    Windows XP Pro

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Pro/home?

    > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
    > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
    >
    > "Freemount" <Freemount@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C2A634A-B7F4-4B64-9AAD-D0A4F7E59D3A@microsoft.com...
    > > Can you help? After a re-format I can't activate the "Most recent documents" in Start: it's not there on the Advanced tab
    > >

    > > "David Candy" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Some would have read help
    > > >
    > > > To show your most recently used documents on the Start menu
    > > >
    > > > 1.. Right-click the Start button, and then click Properties.
    > > > 2.. On the Start Menu tab, click Start menu, and then click Customize.
    > > > 3.. On the Advanced tab, select the List my most recently opened documents check box.
    > > > The next time you click Start, the My Recent Documents folder is on the Start menu. This folder contains the documents and files you opened recently.
    > > >
    > > > Note
    > > >
    > > > a.. On the Advanced tab, click Clear List to empty the My Recent Documents folder. This does not delete the documents from the computer.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
    > > > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    Type gpedit.msc in Start Run and remove the policy that hides Run (User - Admin - Start Menu).

    But if the network admin has done it talk to them.

    "Freemount" <Freemount@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43F2EA20-4C7B-460C-A6A9-B25967AB2A20@microsoft.com...
    > Windows XP Pro
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    > > Pro/home?
    > >
    > > --
    > > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
    > > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
    > >
    > > "Freemount" <Freemount@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C2A634A-B7F4-4B64-9AAD-D0A4F7E59D3A@microsoft.com...
    > > > Can you help? After a re-format I can't activate the "Most recent documents" in Start: it's not there on the Advanced tab

    This is just my stand-alone PC (Sony Vaio Laptop) and my problem is I can't get the "My recent documents" to appear in Start. No problem with "Run". Can't see how to enable it in gpedit.msc.

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Type gpedit.msc in Start Run and remove the policy that hides Run (User - Admin - Start Menu).
    >
    > But if the network admin has done it talk to them.

    > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
    > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
    >
    > "Freemount" <Freemount@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43F2EA20-4C7B-460C-A6A9-B25967AB2A20@microsoft.com...
    > > Windows XP Pro
    > >
    > > "David Candy" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Pro/home?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
    > > > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    My problem is enabling the disappeared "My RECENT documents" in Start. No problem with "Run". Can't see how to enable it in gpedit.msc.

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Type gpedit.msc in Start Run and remove the policy that hides Run (User - Admin - Start Menu).
    >
    > But if the network admin has done it talk to them.

    > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
    > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
    >
    > "Freemount" <Freemount@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43F2EA20-4C7B-460C-A6A9-B25967AB2A20@microsoft.com...
    > > Windows XP Pro
    > >
    > > "David Candy" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Pro/home?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
    > > > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    It's called Do Not Keep History Of Recent Documents.

    "Freemount" <Freemount@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47EB5D09-A400-472D-97EC-9BAAF7D68BB1@microsoft.com...
    > My problem is enabling the disappeared "My RECENT documents" in Start. No problem with "Run". Can't see how to enable it in gpedit.msc.
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    > > Type gpedit.msc in Start Run and remove the policy that hides Run (User - Admin - Start Menu).
    > >
    > > But if the network admin has done it talk to them.
    > >
    > > --
    > > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
    > > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
    > >
    > > "Freemount" <Freemount@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43F2EA20-4C7B-460C-A6A9-B25967AB2A20@microsoft.com...
    > > > Windows XP Pro

    Thanks very much David CAndy - solved

    John247 wrote:

    > "gigster" wrote:
    >
    >> How do I get the "My Recent Documents" folder not to show in the
    >> previw menu when you go to the green start menu tab on the lower left
    >> corner? is there a way to hide or delete this folder? I visit sites
    >> and have pictures that I would like to keep private.

    John, the reason you are having difficulties posting (and no, you
    shouldn't hijack someone else's post) is because you are using the
    dreadful web interface. Use a newsreader instead.

    Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize that this is
    really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you
    learn to use a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows,
    but you can use Outlook Express since you already have it. Here are
    some links to information about newsgroups:

    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
    explanation of newsgroups
    http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
    working properly
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
    http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
    crossposting

    After you've set up OE to read news and have gone over at least one of
    the links about making good posts, come back and make a new post about
    your issue. Include all pertinent details and someone will help you.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com