Sign in with
Your question

Games that lived up to the hype or blew you away.

Last response: in Video Games
February 26, 2003 6:06:50 PM

Console or PC, either one doesn't matter.
For me it would be:

1. Deus Ex - I got a hold of this late but when I played it a year after it's release it still held it's value.
2. Planescape Torment - I expected a Baldurs Gate but was blown away by the storyline. Probably the best story In a game.
3. Resident Evil - I was actually a little scared to turn the corner in that game. I was playing at nighttime and when the dogs jumped through the window I actually jumped.
4. Everquest - I have a love/hate relationship but I still find myself playing it 2-3 times a week and this is after 3 years. How many people can say they haven't stopped playing a game for 3 years?
5. Gemstone - For me the text version of Everquest, it was equally addictive and in so many ways better. But once UO came out text based MuD's wer dead for me.
6. Halo - I didn't like it at first but after a couple of hours playing it I found myself loving everything about that game. (Controlling the Ghost and the Warthog in that game is more fun than any car game I've ever tried)
7. Day of Defeat - It's a Halflife mod but it's still the most fun I've had playing in a WWII war game.
8. Capcom Vs SNK2 - The one at the arcade, I've dumped endless amounts of quarters into that game. It's finally coming to the Xbox Live as well. Playing against the computer in fighting games sucks.
9. Star Control 2 I played it on the 3do(anyone remember that system?) it had a good storyline, fun combat and a huge world to explore.

I'm leaving the oldies out because that's someone elses thread. But feel free to include them if ya like. I'm sure I've left some out or could come up with more but I dont want to try and make a top 25 (I got work to do)

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

More about : games lived hype blew

February 26, 2003 8:03:01 PM

half life was really fun, great story line, great action, challenging problem solving. another is grand theft auto 3. that game was very addictive! exelent story line, wasnt very hard at all though. thing i found really stupid was money was never a problem. i always had plenty of cash for anything i needed. when i got to that guys army depot i dropped probly 100 grand on weapons, i barely needed more than what i could find on the street, the guns were fun though : )

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
February 26, 2003 9:19:15 PM

First game that comes to mind would be the original Civilization. I heard from my brother how much it kicked ass, and I wasn't disappointed

Then there's the first lan party I ever went to (like 5 guys at a buddy's house) where I played Starcraft played for the first time

It's all good ^_^
Related resources
February 27, 2003 12:29:07 AM

star craft is another one, it didnt really blow me away but it saved me and my friends from bordom most days in the summer.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
February 27, 2003 3:25:32 AM

Splinter Cell ( Just getting into this one, good so far, but can't reccomend it yet)
Soldier of Fortune Platinum (Excellent FPS)
Aliens vs Predator 2 with Primal Hunt Expansion Pack (Good Heartpounder)
Serious Sam the Second Encounter (Probably the Funnest FPS I've Played)

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
February 27, 2003 3:29:17 AM

I used to play mostly RPG games and avoided FPS because of this misconception I had formed that they were no more than glorified arcade games. ...That was until I played a demo of MOHAA. I was blown away by the whole experience. I bought the retail copy a few weeks later and have a new outlook on the whole FPS genre.
February 27, 2003 5:38:11 AM

Off the top of my head:

Really old stuff:

Pyramid of Peril
Art of war
Lode Runner
Guns and Butter
Super Mario Brothers
Ikari Warriors
Dig Dug
Rogue

More recent:

The civilization and call to power games
The forgotten realms games
Neverwinter Nights
Unreal
Unreal Tournament
Age of Empires
Max Payne
Dungeon Siege
Warcraft 1 and 2
Diablo
Diablo II
Black and White
Medal of Honor
Giants
Operation Flashpoint
Jedi Knight 2
Sim City
Stronghold
Grand Theft Auto
Tony Hawk 3
Serious Sam
Rainbow Six and company

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>
February 28, 2003 7:09:37 AM

Quake 2 (Because it's the first game I saw on my first Voodoo2 :smile: )

Quake 3

Baldur's Gate 2 (Call me sentimental, but I actually liked the romance stuff hehe)

RTCW (Although there weren't enough levels in the beginning.)

Empire Earth (There was no hype but it's a great game! Too bad it suffers from Sierra servers.)

Battlefield 1942

Half-life (First game I played where NPC's seemed interactive. Other than trying to kill you, that is. And the it was the first game I played that seemed to have a progressive A.I.)

Warcraft II

Starcraft

Diablo (Great story-line)

Red Faction (No hype, but the 3D engine is awesome. You can blow up EVERYTHING in Red Faction. If you've never played it, you can buy it for $29.99 and it's a blast, guaranteed! Nothing like using your rocket launcher to tunnel a hole through a mountain to get to the other side hehehe.)

Unreal

Unreal 2 (NOT!)

I want to move to space, so I can overclock processors cooled to absolute zero.
March 2, 2003 6:58:43 PM

quake 2, half-life, thief and no one lives forever. a game without much hype that ive been playing for years over and over is serious sam.

....the crows seemed to be calling him, thought caw....
March 3, 2003 1:48:27 AM

Quote:
a game without much hype that ive been playing for years over and over is serious sam.

I totally agree, there was just something really fun, and addictive about that game.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
March 3, 2003 4:07:43 AM

1. Medal of Honour : Allied Assault (my all-time favourite).
2. Clive Barker's Undying (thrill and horror).
3. Serious Sam SE (fun, fun, fun) and Max Payne.
March 3, 2003 11:05:44 PM

I like 3 of the 4 you listed.

Here's my order

1) Max Payne
2) Both MOHHAA and Clive Barker's Undying

Haven't played Serious Sam

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>
March 4, 2003 5:52:32 PM

Another vote for Starcraft and Everquest, but most of the games that blew me away weren't for PC. I loved Super Mario Kart, Metal Gear Solid, the original Zelda, and the original Phantasy Star. The first game to blow me away? Defender.

Call me Caine.
March 4, 2003 5:54:24 PM

Ahh, Defender! I remember actually breaking a sweat playing that game in the Arcade.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
March 5, 2003 3:54:26 PM

Medal of Honor AA and Warcraft II for me (Haven't played WC-III yet)

War Eagle
March 7, 2003 12:45:57 PM

Some of my favorite remakes:

Warcraft II AND III (I really like the 3d one best).
DOOM II
Counterstrike beta 3 (does that count?)
FallOut II
March 7, 2003 1:23:40 PM

Jet Pack Willy on my Sinclair Spectrum.

:eek:  I want to eat your face :eek: 
March 21, 2003 5:20:26 AM

probably the best is Splinter Cell! and a few others are
Schizm
Syberia
Myst
Riven
Myst 3
Command and Conquer Generals
Cossacks!

are some of my favourites

<font color=blue> When is a pile of sand a pile of sand? one grain . . . two grains?</font color=blue>
March 21, 2003 7:11:24 AM

Legacy of Time. My friend got it for me and it was 4 CD's back in the day, so I was already like whoah. Then it included all of these long cut scenes which were cool. It was the first real cinematic game. Just too cool. If only they had continued the series...

<Brendini>
March 22, 2003 2:48:06 AM

No one has mentioned Operation Flashpoint - it's definitely one of my favorite games of all time. I barely touch any of my other hundred or so games. There are always people in Gamespy up for a real fine war sim.

Then there's Max Payne - even on my shitty old computer, the graphics on that were amazing. When my new system is put together, I'm going to go out buy the game and crank up every single feature on my computer, and THEN I will have a blast.

One last one is Whiplash. I got the demo with my first computer (about 8 or 9 years ago), and I loved it. It wasn't until about three years ago I was able to find the game, and that was on the discount shelf at Staples. I picked it up, and kept on loving it. It's just a great game, plain and simple. The physics suck, there's no body damage, but as you hit more and more stuff, your car's physics get harder and harder, your engine spouts more and more flames, until BOOM!!! you explode. The greatest thrill was to put on god mode and drive the wrong way down the straightaway, smashing into cars at full blast and watching them erupt in flames while your own car barely loses any momentum. It was just so much fun. Plus, for the age, the sound track wasn't too bad either. I strongly suggest you try to find it. It's worth the money. It's more arcade/humorous than meant to be a real racing sim.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
ATI 9700 Pro
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio
March 25, 2003 6:39:30 AM

lol.. i must throw another vote for Everquest.. aka Everqurack and aptly named so. been playin for over 2 years and i still love it. havent played many games since then or even looked. but i will throw a vote for Unreal, and both Serious Sams...
March 26, 2003 1:19:45 PM

Deus EX
All Half Lifes
Splinter Cell
Syfen Filter
Metal Gear
Unreal Tournament
Unreal Tournament 2003 (after they started to get the bugs worked out)
Myst
All Wing Commanders
Duke Nukem
Halo
Falcon 4.0
Grand Turismo
Gotham Racing
Abes Oddesey

I am shure there is more.. let me think on it.
Take care all.

Hang in there. It can only get better!
April 8, 2003 5:04:19 PM

For my computer Deus Ex, Quake 3, Riven completely blew me away. I would spend hours at a time playing each game, couldn't get enough of them either.

For Consoles:
Super NES. The legend of Zelda: a link to the past. Super Metroid (play that one still today), street fighter II and super street fighter II, Killer Instinct.

For Nintendo 64, legend of zelda ocarina of time, super mario kart.

3do: Road Rash, Shockwave, return fire

<i><font color=red>What you need and everything you'll feel is just a question of the deal In the eye of storm just think of the lonely dove the experience of survival is the key to the gravity of love</font color=red></i>
April 10, 2003 7:02:10 AM

My all time favorite game...

Defender of the Crown..Yup...I'm an old fart...

Followed by The Bard's Tale Trilogy..
Followed by AutoDuel..
Followed by Ultima 1 through 189378993898493984..
Followed by Full Throttle
Followed byGrim Fandango

But since the advent of 3D rendering...

RTCW (I'm pissed they cancelled the Expansion)
Hitman and Hitman 2
Max Payne (Kung Fu Mod rules!!)
Ghost Recon
Mechwarrior (All of them)
AvP 1 (AvP 2 was mediocre)
Deus Ex
Blade of Darkness (If you had enough ummph in your PC to make it run, this thing was a resource HAWG)

Aliu

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
--Albert Einstein
April 11, 2003 1:16:41 AM

MOHAA, the Baldurs Gate series, and Diablo all owe me several lost weekends.
April 11, 2003 8:47:21 PM

I'm a big RPG nut, so I was blown away by Morrowind.
The open-ended style of gameplay and realism of the world left me very impressed. Mostly because of the 'freedom of choices' open-ended game design. That is what really impressed me (more-so than other RPG's). So did Daggerfall during its own time...(do I sound biased or impartial??? heheh )

And most definetely The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of time. Definetely one of the most fun game's ive ever played (too bad the replay-ability isn't so hot).

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by othernate on 04/11/03 04:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 19, 2003 6:14:58 PM

Riven
Unreal
Starcraft
Shogun Total War

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a descision for myself.</b>
April 22, 2003 6:16:45 AM

I give another vote for roadrash that game was so sweet back in the day.

==Is a Processor supposed to Smoke Like THAT?===
December 5, 2009 7:58:45 PM

I can't believe noone has mentioned Wizardry : proving grounds of the mad overlord for the original nes ( I still have it and is now worth some good money) and how about Crystalis? oh and the original super mario bros.. actually recorded myself with a vcr beating it in 20 minutes without skipping lol
December 6, 2009 7:19:22 AM

Elite. On old Amiga. :) 
December 6, 2009 3:27:29 PM

Stop bumping a thread from 2003...
!