slang15

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
First here is my setup:

ASUS A7V
T-Bird 1400
512 RAM
300W PS

I keep the thing running 24/7 and I came home from work and noticed the monitor was blinking like it does when the comp is off, the lights on the case were flashing also. I turned the power off, waited a few and pushed the button to turn it back on and got zip.

I opened it up a noticed my HS was hanging by only one clip, the other tab on the mobo was broken off (think kids knocked it over and won't fess up). Also noticed there was some light burn marks on top of the chip. Uplugged power cord, removed the chip checking for any cracks or chips but didn't find any and put it back in. I layed the comp on its side and just set the HS on top of the chip, plugged power cord back in and immediately got the green light on the mobo, pushed the power button and the fan on the HS spun for a split second, the lights on the front of the comp came on and went out.

Can get the same results each time I unplug the power cord and let it set for a few seconds. I pulled the T-Bird 1400 and replaced it with a T-Bird 850 I know is good but got the same results. Any ideas?

Kevluke

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
It is very likely that you may have burned out the socket itself. Remember, it only takes 2 - 3 seconds of running to destroy a processor without a HS (Learned this handy fact through personal experience). I imagine that if it gets hot enough, it can do some major damage to the socket.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try clearing the CMOS. On the A7V there are two solderpads that you can short with a screwdriver, with the power disconnected of course. I don't know where the connection point are but I've heard many people talk about them. Alternately to clear the CMOS you can disconnect the power and remove the battery for about 10 minutes.

Be careful, without being able to solidly attach a heatsink you can easily burn out another processor. Burn marks mean it dead absolutely.

If you can figure out if the motherboard is still good, there are heatsinks that use all six tabs on the CPU socket and there are also heatsinks that mount via the four holes that surround the socket.

If you are in the USA <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com/29/248.htm?695" target="_new">here is a dirt cheap heatsink</A> ($4) that will solve your problem. It uses six tabs and will cool well enough. Email support@nexfan.com to make sure it will fit your motherboard. The heatsink is 80mm x 60mm x 35mm tall without the fan, so it is kind of big. Don't be put off by the cheap price. I've used it on a 1.0 Tbird overclocked at 1.5 Ghz and I know it can cool faster processors (as long as those are stock speed). It will easily handle another 1.4.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>