installed dual os in a pc.

Hope anybody could help me, before this i had a win xp pro installed in my new pc, then i just bought a new hard disk to be added in the system. The hard disk is unformatted, so i decided to use the xp cd to create a partition on that hard disk and later on format it. But i accidentally choose to install a windows xp (try to stop it but i believe it is irreversible), so that makes my system a dual os system which requires me to choose one of the windows xp's everytime when i turn on the pc. so i decided to use the windows xp cd again to delete the partition of the second windows xp installed on my new hdd, but still there is the option of choosing the os's. hope anybody could tell me a way to restore the system back to the initial condition, thanks

P4 2.8e, 865 mobo, 512mb ram,
3 answers Last reply
More about installed dual

    Click Start/Control panel/system/startup and recovery
    Click edit and edit your boot.ini by removing the
    unwanted OS.... Carefull make sure you delete the right
    one !

    Hi,

    Start/run msconfig

    Go to the boot.ini tab, click on the listing you want to keep and then on
    "set as default" is it is available (if not, then it already is the default
    and you can skip this step). Then click on "check all boot paths" and you
    should be offered to remove the entry that is no longer valid.

    Next time you add a drive, just physically install it, make sure the BIOS
    see it, then load WinXP and start/run diskmgmt.msc and use this tool to
    partition and format the drive for use.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "tydell" <tydell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hope anybody could help me, before this i had a win xp pro installed in my
    new pc, then i just bought a new hard disk to be added in the system. The
    hard disk is unformatted, so i decided to use the xp cd to create a
    partition on that hard disk and later on format it. But i accidentally
    choose to install a windows xp (try to stop it but i believe it is
    irreversible), so that makes my system a dual os system which requires me to
    choose one of the windows xp's everytime when i turn on the pc. so i decided
    to use the windows xp cd again to delete the partition of the second windows
    xp installed on my new hdd, but still there is the option of choosing the
    os's. hope anybody could tell me a way to restore the system back to the
    initial condition, thanks

    > P4 2.8e, 865 mobo, 512mb ram,

    Hi,
    Thanks a lot Rick. That really helps. Thanks again.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Start/run msconfig
    >
    > Go to the boot.ini tab, click on the listing you want to keep and then on
    > "set as default" is it is available (if not, then it already is the default
    > and you can skip this step). Then click on "check all boot paths" and you
    > should be offered to remove the entry that is no longer valid.
    >
    > Next time you add a drive, just physically install it, make sure the BIOS
    > see it, then load WinXP and start/run diskmgmt.msc and use this tool to
    > partition and format the drive for use.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/