backup

July 20, 2004 9:54:47 PM

I'm using windows xp home edition.The backup utility is
missing from my system tools. How can I restore it.

More about : backup

Anonymous
July 21, 2004 1:22:41 AM

Hi Richard,

It's not installed by default in WinXP Home, and some manufacturers have
chose not to include it at all. If you have a retail version, you can
install it from the ValueAdd folder on the disk, see:

HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Richard" <cormd@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm using windows xp home edition.The backup utility is
> missing from my system tools. How can I restore it.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 3:12:35 AM

check here http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup...
You should be made aware of the limitations on this program. It is not
intended for use with CD or DVD writers but a work around for basic backup
jobs can be found here
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/saving_files_to_cd.htm Even then it is
limited to not being able to split files or span multiple disks.

Another limitation is that the Home version of Backup does support the ASR
feature that the XP Pro version supports. For most people the purchase of a
decent third party backup program is money well spent.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Richard" <cormd@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm using windows xp home edition.The backup utility is
> missing from my system tools. How can I restore it.
Related resources
July 21, 2004 11:14:04 AM

The Windows backup program will only allow backups to a floppy diskette
unless you have a tape drive installed.. consider using CDR/CDRW software
and drive for saving important files..

"Richard" <cormd@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm using windows xp home edition.The backup utility is
> missing from my system tools. How can I restore it.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 9:03:03 PM

Richard, and all, :)

Here is good multi-page article that explains NTBACKUP.

AR for Home is Manual System Restore point, then NTBACKUP.
http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa020127a.htm

NTBACKUP PRO is on CD, install with MSI file
http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa020203a.htm

Recovery – Pro vs. Home

Pro – Boot with recovery disk and point to backup source (or last backup), System state is restored with backup.

Home – Boot, restore to Restore Point x, use NTBACKUP to recover file taken after Restore Point x. System State (I don’t know but it’s probably 98.6% ok In that I don’t know if SS is part of the backup for Home but would be in sync with the Restore Point)
Problem: Restore point x only in effect until next system change such as program install, windows updates, unsigned drive install, etc…so a system of Manual Restore Point and Backup would need to occur after any such changes.

SJ

!