Sign in with
Your question

Virginia Tech Tragedy: A Student's Response

Tags:
  • Video Games
  • Tom's Hardware
Last response: in Video Games
May 1, 2007 6:07:55 PM

As authorities continue to search for answers behind the tragic shooting, some in the media have pointed the finger at violent video games. One Virginia Tech student and Tom's Hardware Guide reader comments on his experiences during tragedy, the media speculation of the event, and the notion that games were responsible for deadly shooting.

More about : virginia tech tragedy student response

May 1, 2007 7:55:32 PM

Props to him. Media trying to indict video games... that's completely stupid. Games didn't make him shoot anyone! Like that guy said, he might not have done it had he actually played games, 'cuz he would've had more friends.
May 1, 2007 10:39:59 PM

yes i agree with you (shiriko) and David Carwile in the artical. Stop blaming on video games which you media or reporters have no evidence of backing it up. Plus like the guy said, he could have made more friends if he actually played games with other people.
Related resources
May 1, 2007 11:36:59 PM

I'm glad we got some insight into why this happened. Thank you for interviewing someone from the campus.
May 2, 2007 4:26:07 AM

If someone is out to hurt people they will do it with guns, knives, sticks, stones, pebbles, bow and arrow, throw books, create a bomb, car bomb. etc. The only way to take away every weapon is to lock down the entire country and dictate it (ie. dictatorship).

If responsible people had guns on campus (ie the staff) he would have been shot. If video games was promoted more perhaps he would have socialized more.

It's unfortunate we live in a lazy greedy society. Instead of truly thinking in a pragmatic way 'we' take the easy way and blame video games, blame guns, blame fricken chewing gum for any tragic situation. 'We' make up these crazy ridiculous ideas in order to sell a book or a movie. Of course ratings... in general money.

I honestly think that situation like these is simply a break down in society. Somewhere along the road the government, society, the people, citizens, his parents, himself of course - has failed to help this kid (help himself) and seek treatment. Who knows, maybe if someone just said "I love you" to his face maybe he would have calmed down a bit. Or, really beat the crap out of him and let him vent out his frustrations in a fight. Or vent out frustrations in a violent video game. God knows I have used doom to do that. Fragging everything in a video game is a lot safer than the real world.

Instead of blaming video games and movies, which is crazy, 'we' should be asking where along the road to this outburst has the system failed? That's the reality that 'we' don't want to think about in a pragmatic way.

There are so many things that could be wrong and should be investigated. I think 'we' need to understand situations like these better, treat the person, and be a responsible civilized society. (ooo that word!) pointing fingers and putting blame on things is irresponsible (ie the media).

However; 'we' will still blame video games because it is easier instead of taking responsibility. Situations like these will continue to happen because until you understand it history repeats itself.

I can go on forever but that is how I see it. Love you guys, take care @ VT, and God speed.

Note: 'we' refers to whoever you feel it refers to in context of the sentence.

PS: sorry its long been wanting to vent this out for awhile.
May 2, 2007 1:18:32 PM

Please change the summary on the front page, this part specifically:

reader comments on his experiences during tragedy, the media speculation of the event, and the notion that games were responsible for deadly shooting.

since it may give a false assumption that he has the notion that games were responsible.

Try to specify the notion is not his, since it's a front page news, make it clearer please.
May 2, 2007 5:21:15 PM

Hi all! I'm new to the TG Forumz.

I feel for all those who are suffering due to the tragedy at Virginia Tech, including David Carwile.

In the interview with TG's Rob Wright, Mr. Carwile ventures an intriguing hypothesis:

"The media companies more than likely are owned by the same people that own the major video game companies. They get publicity on both fronts and they keep ratings up on their media programs by presenting a controversial topic."

I decided to probe deeper and test the accuracy of David's statement. This is what I found: in Advertising Age magazine is a chart showing the ownership of the top 15 media companies in the world: adage.com/images/random/mediafamilytree06.pdf

The largest and most influential video game publishers are not owned by any of these media companies, including such companies as: Electronic Arts, Epic Games, id Software and Activision and Nintendo.

It is also instrumental to look at the links between media companies and video game publishers that do exist.

1) Comcast - the 2nd largest media company in the world ($22-23 billion in net revenue for 2005) owns the G4TV channel. However, G4TV is highly positive of the so-called "violent games" such as Halo and Quake. It is clearly not a channel that spouts fear-mongering quotes as a way of attracting viewers.

2) Hasbro - In 2000, Hasbro became the master toy licensee for all of Disney's event films, in addition to some classic properties, and was named as the official toy and game company for Walt DisneyWorld, Disneyland and Euro Disney. Hasbro owns Wizards of the Coast, who produce Dungeons and Dragons and Magic: The Gathering games. However, except for some ignorant buffoons who compare D&D to "devil-worshipping", virtually nobody decries that the fantasy violence of Hasbro's games is "destroying our youth".

3) Twentieth Century Fox, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., distributed all of the Star Wars movies and games. These games were published by Lucasarts. However, Star Wars is generally not viewed as a negative influence on our culture (except for maybe the proliferation of digital effects and wooden dialogue in the Star Wars "prequels" vis-a-vis the original epic Star Wars movies like Empire Strikes Back).

4) Sony produces the Playstation 2 and 3 and publishes many "violent" video games. While Sony Entertainment produces many movies and Sony BMG produces much music, they don't own any newspapers, magazines, TV stations, cable or satellite companies.

5) And finally we come to Microsoft. They developed the Xbox and Xbox360, as well as Halo 1 and 2. Some might say, so what about MSNBC? I mean, it does have MICROSOFT in it's name and it is a MEDIA company after all! Well, looking at Advertising Age's chart again, one can see that Microsoft only has an 18% stake in MSNBC, and this share is only worth $46 million in net revenue for 2005. This is quite literally chump change for Microsoft. They have clearly not taken a major position as a "media" company.

Therefore, I believe that Mr. Carwile is incorrect in his notion that the "media companies more than likely are owned by the same people that own the major video game companies."

I postulate instead that these media companies are pandering to an audience that wants to find an easy scapegoats for society's ills. For example, a typical article looks like this:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/12/19/eveningnews/m...
One quote from this article stands out: "According to the video game industry, parents purchase 83 percent of all games." While this is in 2002, this is probably still accurate today. So, as was true before video games ever existed, parents are responsible for the media that their children consume. You don't like these games? Fine, don't buy them and the game industry will, in turn, adapt.
May 3, 2007 5:57:58 AM

"David Carwile: Yeah. Some people in our dorm were outspoken and tried to talk to Cho. When he didn't respond, they verbally abused him. I can't recount any specific incidents, but some of my friends are wishing they had done more than just verbally abuse him. One of my friends (who I won't name) stated that if he "kicked Cho's ass" back then that it might have caused him to break a lot early and in not such a calculatingly violent way. I may agree to some extent; if Cho was tortured by other students and members of the community without any real confrontation, then he may have never dealt with the issues and bottled it up."

wow, so you and your friends deal with quiet people by verbally abusing them, maybe the parents and families of these 32 kids should be looking to you for answers
May 3, 2007 7:20:00 AM

I'm from South Africa, and to be frank, I think anyone blaming gaming for violent behaviour, and more so someone with a psychology background such as dr Phil (i hope), should really get a life.

The fundamental problem here is the background and up bringing of certain individuals. By that I point towards circumstances in which the child grew up in, which plays a massive role, aswell as other more influencing media.

If I remember correctly, by the age of 7 a kids personality is already defined for how he perceives himself throughout his life. Certain elements may influence him, but ultimately the damage/foundation has been created way early in his life. For instance, a crude upbringing allows an individual to look down on himself in some aspects, so with some influence whether this be social, interpersonal, relationships, views on relegion, political etc; such a person is open for an abstract view on life, and his placement in society.

From this, it's clear that someone who goes out and does something like this (and I say this with the utmost respect for those whom have passed on under such action from someone deeply troubled), can not be influenced directly by games. Games MIGHT be blamed, but that's the tip of the ice berg. The upbringing created the problem, and the upbringing goes way back to the parents and all that influenced them. It's a chain of events, contained in a viscious circle, and to address the problem, the people blaming games (especially government bodies) should address the root, not the leaf.

Finally, I must also point out that the gaming industry, is generating ALOT of income and cash flow in most countries. By trying to make a fiasco of the situation, hurting the industry and achieving no long term resolve, you end up shooting the economy and yourself in the foot. If this isn't stupid, then I don't know anymore. Howcome the movie industry which has it's fair share of "photo realistic" violence isn't receiving the same level of attention? Why isn't the ubsurd music we get these days not targeted?

So, dr Phil, get a life. If it wasn't for Oprah, you'd still be doing real practitioning, maybe the right way... Who knows?
May 3, 2007 11:04:42 AM

Yup, Doctor Phil is a loser alright. But come on, have you ever seen someone who plays the sims set their house on fire? Clicking and pulling a trigger are two different things. Now PS and XBOX controllers, they are another story. XD.

Oh and the Narrow are better than Fokof. (you use an F at the beginning of Afrikaans words hence : Fiets(or so my teacher said).
May 3, 2007 11:43:09 AM

I have a real dount about USA's "gun topic"...

I know guns don't kill people, people kill people, but still; If the gun control in the USA were a little bit tougher (harder to get a gun, if any) these kind of problems would be really reduced... Maybe teaching how to handle and proper psychological guidance will help.

It may NOT be the big solution, but (i think) it would help reduce this kind of behavior (psychotic with bloody ends) a lot.

I'm not able to think a *big* solution when a whole country only cares on certain subjects when they happen and only think in terms of money and not in social health.

I'm sorry to say this, but, everybody gets what they deserve at some point. And USA will continue to see this kind of acting in an every day basis.

Politics care for personal reasons of sponsorship/marketing, big companies (gun-related and media in general) don't care, it's just more rating. Only individuals close to the events care and some people, but not a big part of them with no real influence over the process of preventing this kind of episode.

I'm sorry to say it, but I think it's true...

Yuka.
May 3, 2007 11:51:31 AM

Hey, I'm afraid of copyright infringement.... :lol:  :lol:  So I made it a V, instead of F....
May 3, 2007 11:55:47 AM

It can take up to two years to get a gun license in South Africa with recent legislation. That stops guns being bought quite quick, but then it boosts underground gun sales aswell. There's always a counter reaction to any action.

Throttle gun sales, and something else will take it's place.
May 3, 2007 1:17:01 PM

Ask your self this question:

Would this have happened if it were not so easy to get guns in the United States of America?

The answer is a resounding no, here in the UK you cannot simply go out and buy a gun then wait 2 days for the paperwork to come through or what ever you go through. We even have troubles buying air rifles now, with possible new legislation that will make it near impossible to sell them. The kid made videos of himself showing off guns and waving them about, you would be lucky to even see a real gun in this country.

The US is it’s own worst enemy, and it’s insistence with keeping laws which make it ridiculously easy to acquire guns just goes to prove this. I mean the government in the UK are the adverse to this and change laws when they feel like it, with law changes becoming routine with knee-jerk reactions to situations.
May 3, 2007 1:34:40 PM

Luckily the test you write beforehand is open book over here but it is a whole bunch of legal terms, a friend of mine wrote it the other day with his dad. Only 80 bucks though and if you pass the test (you cant miss even once but i don't think it is at such a long range) first time you don't tell them you did not take any training. I am not sure if you need to do double taps or anything. The funny thing is that they keep your targets as a kind of portfolio so he said the guys qualifying for shotgun licenses come back and hand in a page's four corners. The range for the shotgun is 3M WTF? Who wont pass? This is in PTA it might be different in other cities.

In reply to caffudled: Canada has just as many guns as the us(no you don't get capitals.) But Canadians are not total assholes. The united states of america land. Land of the brain-free home of the afraid.
May 3, 2007 1:35:59 PM

It's true what you say, but I still see that there is a bigger, underlying problem, some of which I'd mention and some not. But for now, my opinion stays my own.

I'm not a history buff, but how come we seldom see violent acts like these anywhere else in the world? Sure, there's other problems and acts occuring elsewhere, but on such level of brutality?
May 3, 2007 1:48:17 PM

I agree, in South Africa they only shoot you when they are robbing you so they can buy food (or have a nice new car with mags and a killer sound system). But still we don't just go crazy and start killing people (most of us, dont push me...). :)  There is something very wrong with america, i personally think it is the large amount of Irish DNA in you fat slobs, they spill your drink so you kill them with the glass shards... I know this guy was not genetically motivated but Phenotype = Genotype + Environment therefore you plonk a guy whith 1 set of genes in with another group displaying the idiocy genotype (see wiki G.W. Bush) and then Phenotype = Shy-asian + Idiocy and there we go... 32 dead Irish people.(See: Ireland/IRA for a nice argument defending mine.)

Quick someone sensor me for slamming the monkey behind the podium...

HOW DARE I. :twisted:

OH and on the XBOX and HD-TV end- The R600 will bring you back my son...

And one more thing, one of those stupid fucking cheese guzzlers said that he should have put more pressure on Cho so he would have snapped earlier : >>>WHAT?<<< HOW STUPID DO YOU HAVE TO BE. I would love to see that headline, 'Meat head tenderised after pissing off smaller asian'

SHY PEOPLE ARE SHY, and fat americans are terrified of things they dont understand (i wish there were more text books lying around that country). Thus they lash out at them so the meat head gives a shy dude crap, and most of the other merry cunts gave him shit to making him more shy and more unstable. until one day... boom. I dont want to be a dick(Filthy Lie), but you DESERVED THAT. flame me all you want i have a thick skin(much like the average american skull).

This idiot does not understand that he should have been kind to the guy, (Kindness is another foreign concept to merry cunts, therefore treat with contempt) Cho was likely terrified of even talking to most of these people. And this fat fuck says he should have been harder on him. *RETARD*

To David Carwile: if good people died i am sorry, but understand this: Comeuppance.

http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=62195

This kid deserves a medal.

By sending him to another school(and pissing him off for f*cking up his day) he just might turn out to be the next VT perpetrator, Your country is composed of stunted(You pick the defect) individuals. You punish creativity, you force your citizens into a mould, and if they dont fit you get surprised that they break the mould. Here's to mould breaking...
May 3, 2007 3:04:34 PM

Quote:
I agree, in South Africa they only shoot you when they are robbing you so they can buy food (or have a nice new car with mags and a killer sound system). But still we don't just go crazy and start killing people (most of us, dont push me...). There is something very wrong with america, i personally think it is the large amount of Irish DNA in you fat slobs, they spill your drink so you kill them with the glass shards... I know this guy was not genetically motivated but Phenotype = Genotype + Environment therefore you plonk a guy whith 1 set of genes in with another group displaying the idiocy genotype (see wiki G.W. Bush) and then Phenotype = Shy-asian + Idiocy and there we go... 32 dead Irish people.(See: Ireland/IRA for a nice argument defending mine.)

That was a bit harsh my friend.

I'm off the topic, my deepest respect and thoughts to the family and victims of the shootings.
May 3, 2007 3:52:40 PM

You should apologize, Rabidpeanut. Your comments are disgraceful and I hope that next time, before you go off on an anti-American rant, slander the Irish with ill-informed prejudices, or claim the victims of a tragic shooting "had it coming," you choose your words more carefully -- at least in this forum.
May 3, 2007 4:07:16 PM

I love the double standard that people outside the U.S. have.
May 3, 2007 4:37:59 PM

Have you ever been bullied? No, so go suck something. The ones who did not do anything to him don't deserve it obviously, but that penis hole who said he should have been harder on this tortured soul deserves one in the head, and then his parents deserve one in the guilty part of their anatomy. Maybe he will think twice before fucking up someone else's head again. I am sorry but AMERICA IS FASCIST, and as far as i know being horrible about NAZIS is perfectly okay. Do you like Hitler? cause effectively you just protected the new Reich. So i will apologize to those who's family members died because someone pushed a recluse over the edge. I will not apologize for speaking out against the nation ruining the planet, or their government, or their bloated lifestyle, if you are american i hope you are DEEPLY offended. If humans are a cancer america is acute leukemia. The only thing i will apologize for is toning my opinion down. The UK is no better, they are america's taiwan - not a real country just america's bitch. America is the fat kid on the playground who hit the foreign kid to get his icecream. These fat idiots dont seem to understand that they live on this planet too, so once they have fucked it up they die too, it will be like a beached shoal of whales, fat people gasping for breath on the ground. Meanwhile us little fish have all died because the whales all herded us toward the beach that they are now stuck on along with us.

HOW DARE I :twisted:

http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=62170

How fucked up do you have to be

That country need's to fix it's shit and with an ass so big you cannot wipe it, that will be difficult.

If you are stupid enough to elect a monkey twice you know your country is fucked.

I hope EVERY bully sees this and thinks twice about pushing the smaller kids around. Next time you use your size to gain an advantage over someone think about the nice chunk of copper or lead that will find it's way in between your undersized lobes.

I am going to go out and buy the biggest sack of weed i can find to support 'terr ists'

Gee whilikers G.dubbelya We's gonna shoot us some third worlders ta'day
and get their black gold i tells ya.

America is based on war. Do you think america was any good before the charged the allies for their help? Where did all your money come from? WAR. Live by the sword.

I want this planet to be here YOU don't seem to. The cool thing about cancer is that you get it, you die. Earth has cancer.

Push a tiger into a corner and no matter how calm it was a second ago, you are losing a leg in the NEXT few seconds.

This is not against all those good people in your country but those who fucked up deserve it.

BY NO MEANS AM I SAYING THAT CHO DID THE RIGHT THING. I AM NOT SAYING THAT KILLING ALL AMERICANS IS THE RIGHT COURSE OF ACTION.

If i knew Cho and what he was going to do i would have stopped him, but understand this : Comeuppance.
May 3, 2007 5:47:38 PM

Sorry for the double post but that one is getting full. Now imagine RobWright that some one insults you day in day out for about 2 years, and imagine yourself as an introvert. What would you do. You will eventually explode and then look like the bad guy when i actual fact you were just protecting yourself, killing the person who mentally abuses you is not right and neither is killing innocent bystanders (we don't know that they did not abuse him but for their families' sake lets say innocent) but in your tortured mind it is the only way out. So who fault is it that you killed them, YOURS... Who fault is it if a bully was killed by the person he bullies. HIS fault, so anyone of them who is dead for screwing up Cho's head DESERVED their fate, anyone who was shot for no reason was MURDERED by Cho.

Now on the subject of america, look at the statistics, they are killing my and your planet. We all are, but not nearly as effectively as they are. Capitalism is good in small doses, america is a whole tanker of capitalism concentrate. At Least greece has stopped spilling oil everywhere. And even Britain is trying to minimise their influence on the planet, but americans are TERRIFIED of losing thier lifestyle, and this planet cannot cope with their gluttony. you can delete my other posts, they are a bit extremist, but now you see my point of view.
May 3, 2007 5:47:53 PM

My bloody router is having a fit so sorry for any double posts apart from the top one.
May 3, 2007 6:02:15 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the double post but that one is getting full. Now imagine RobWright that some one insults you day in day out for about 2 years, and imagine yourself as an introvert. What would you do. You will eventually explode and then look like the bad guy when i actual fact you were just protecting yourself, killing the person who mentally abuses you is not right and neither is killing innocent bystanders (we don't know that they did not abuse him but for their families' sake lets say innocent) but in your tortured mind it is the only way out. So who fault is it that you killed them, YOURS... Who fault is it if a bully was killed by the person he bullies. HIS fault, so anyone of them who is dead for screwing up Cho's head DESERVED their fate, anyone who was shot for no reason was MURDERED by Cho.

Rabinpeanut, you presume to know me, when in fact you know nothing about me. At all. I don't have to imagine being insulted for two years, because I have in fact experienced it. In fact, I dealt with it for much longer than two years. I was an introvert, and I am still a geek, and I, like a lot of people on the Forumz, took a great deal of verbal, mental and physical abuse when I was younger. But i never picked up a weapon and hurt or killed innocent people or the people that I assumed were responsible for the bullying.

Quote:
Now on the subject of america, look at the statistics, they are killing my and your planet. We all are, but not nearly as effectively as they are. Capitalism is good in small doses, america is a whole tanker of capitalism concentrate. At Least greece has stopped spilling oil everywhere. And even Britain is trying to minimise their influence on the planet, but americans are TERRIFIED of losing thier lifestyle, and this planet cannot cope with their gluttony. you can delete my other posts, they are a bit extremist, but now you see my point of view.

I find it oddly amusing that you choose to criticize America, yet you just advocated the killing of bullies as self-defense. You complain about America's violent culture, but you go sa far as to justify someone going on a shooting rampage as "just protecting yourself." Please, that's just senseless.
May 3, 2007 7:23:08 PM

Ok RabidPenut, lets make a couple things clear here.

1. Cho was truly mentally disturbed regardless of torment. He was a powder keg and many of his teachers and acquaintances saw that.

2. I, and many others, were tortured similarly, and possibly far worse in grade school with no major incidents of retaliation. Torment is no excuse for a killing spree, nor is it the only cause.

3. Shootings are not THAT common in this country, and there have been similar incidents where psychopaths go on rampages in other countries as well. Before you point out the number of incidents that have been publicized in America in the last 10 years (like 3 I can think of) Imagine how many people we have in this friggin' country. Per capita, it is not that abnormal.

Now don't get me wrong, I too was offended by the sentiment that the kid should have been harder on Cho for being cold to make him snap earlier. That sentiment is just .. ugly. But also keep in mind, these people have just experienced this whole mess exceptionally close to home. Violent sentiments against the perpetrator are bound to be exacerbated.

If you would let go of that hatred a bit maybe you will see how blinded you are by it. Chill out man. Bullies are a fact of life no matter what country you live in, and while I agree that they deserve a good sound thrashing, they don't deserve death.
May 3, 2007 7:35:46 PM

Pretty much everything you noted in your rant has been with the human race since the dawn of time. Get used to it. As long as someone has something better, someone else will covet it. As long as there are strong, there will be weak. You make it look as though the U.S. people are all a bunch of gun toting lazy people. Nice. Way to generalize something you know nothing about other than what your media has fed you.

I own a handgun. Why? Because I can, that's why. I'm responsible enough to own one. I understand what it is and what it can do. I respect it for what it is. Believe what you want but the majority of gun owners in this country are the same way. How do I know this. Because I live here.

You don't hear me attacking where you live do you? You don't hear me telling you how to live do you? Stop pointing the finger at everyone else and start pointing it back at yourself and you'll soon realize just how much we all have in common.

What you're ranting about is a human problem, not a country problem. Ponder that while you go smoke your bag of weed.
May 3, 2007 7:50:02 PM

Wait, hold on....Anoobis, you own a hand gun but you hate NASCAR? I didn't think such a thing was possible!:wink:

I was hoping this discussion thread would be about video game violence and real world violence, but it appears to have broken off into the realm of gun control, anti-Americanism, and the decline of Western Civilization, just as other video game violence discussions have in the past. Oh well.

"Shake and bake."
--Ricky Bobby
May 3, 2007 8:13:54 PM

True.

I've only seen parts of Talladega Nights but from what I saw, it looked hilarious.
May 3, 2007 10:01:17 PM

Violence in video games goes hand in hand.. Anyone who ever owned an Atari 2600 or an NES can see that... :lol:  :wink:

RapidP has just gone overboard with illogical rants that to be honest don't deserve to be read or debated.

Just my two cents...

BTW Rob you and your team are doing a great job...
May 3, 2007 10:19:49 PM

I would just like to point out again that I don't discount a possible connection between violent media, be it games or movies, and anti-social or aggressive behavior in some people.

Quote:
BTW Rob you and your team are doing a great job...

Thanks dude. You just jinxed my team. Now Dice-K will probably blow out his elbow, Schilling's ankle will crack and Manny will go into the Green Monster to take a leak and never come back.

But, you get a free pass this time because you obviously recognize the genius that it "The Boondock Saints." Now that movie will make you violent :wink:

Ricky Bobby: It's a movie. It won the Academy Award.
Jean Girard: Oh for what?
Ricky Bobby: Best movie ever made.
May 3, 2007 10:20:30 PM

To Infornography : thanks for actually seeing what i am getting at. But some people are just such assholes that you have to kill someone for them to see what their bullying can do. The idiot who said he should have been harder on him is a good example of someone who won't change even after people died because of him.

To RobWright : Owning a pc does not make you an introvert (you went to a school in texas didn't you), this guy was pushed EVERY day likely every few minutes of every day. Thanks for REFUSING to see someone elses opinion,

You don't have to like what i say.

Okay, well lets see... America = bully. Now what would be better earth without cancer or earth with cancer. I am not saying it is right, but i would be nice... China and Russia, mark my words.

Quote:
If you would let go of that hatred a bit maybe you will see how blinded you are by it.

I don't hate individual americans, just the collective.

Quote:
Pretty much everything you noted in your rant has been with the human race since the dawn of time. Get used to it. As long as someone has something better, someone else will covet it. As long as there are strong, there will be weak. You make it look as though the U.S. people are all a bunch of gun toting lazy people. Nice. Way to generalize something you know nothing about other than what your media has fed you.

Actually it was YOUR media that fed this to me, South African TV doesn't care about your stupid problems. Oh and do you see japan going around stealing other country's oil and killing their people, 9/11 my ass. Japan has THE BEST stuff out of everyone. The only greedy fat people in japan are warriors who force themselves to gain weight. Japan is the pinnacle of science, the kid with the glasses and the robot, america is the chocolate smeared kid with the fat fingers and the splitting shirt, and he just took the iraqi kid's bus fare and now everyone is pissed off with the iraqi kid for fighting back.

Quote:
You don't hear me attacking where you live do you? You don't hear me telling you how to live do you? Stop pointing the finger at everyone else and start pointing it back at yourself and you'll soon realize just how much we all have in common.

Uuuum Mandela, Desmond Tutu, PW Botha oh and versus who was it now.... oh, yes Geee Dubbelya. YEE HAW!

I know people are shit basically everywhere and i am no exception, but i don't live a lifestyle that strips the planet of it's oxygen, and pumps out more CO2 than most other nations combined(My power supply is 200W and i use a bicycle (that is one thing that america CAN do, make bicycles with STRONG frames, i guess it is due to all the fat people). You just went to war (=more CO2 from bombs) To murder people and their families for their oil (= More CO2 from 'pickup trucks'(or hick mobiles if you will.)) You are actively fucking up this planet.

Dude, this is South Africa, EVERYONE owns a gun.

I am not insulting you specifically, (unless you are fat, then i AM) i am saying your general culture is what is wrong, gluttony on a large scale. Your country is fucked up, not that mine is not, cause our government sucks , but yours is REALLY FUCKED up. You think if my government did the same thing i would not criticize them. HOW DARE YOU even be offended that i am telling your country is in the wrong. Your President does not imbezle like mine does, he steals whole countries only real assets.

Quote:
As long as there are strong, there will be weak

Yes but the strong don't have to hurt the weak now do they? Resounding No.

You went to war to protect yourselves from the scary muslims who were going to throw stones at you. Many of those muslims are very holy people, compared to your Utah friends.

Quote:
As long as someone has something better, someone else will covet it.

Wow afganistan is sooo much better than america, lets go and fuck them up. The oil is the only thing the countries have, afganistan has FUCK ALL of it anyway, but they are a nice staging ground arent they.

I don't want your stuff, i want it to stop existing if it hurts people to produce it.

I don't want you dead, i want all of you to fix your country's bullshit. Most of your fellow citizens would live under a dictatorship if it meant you could keep your current lifestyle. Enjoy your tapped phone line.

I will laugh my ass off if the FBI is reading this, go and investigate some real 'insurgents'.

Quote:
Japan has THE BEST stuff out of everyone.

Japan better watch out, cause if Iraq is worth it....

You are the new axis, believe it. I will take a photo if Germany and Japan are the ones to take your country down, i am not saying that killing all of you is good, but humor is tragedy at a distance.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of absolutely brilliant stuff that comes from america, but i don't want people dying so i can have a nice toy.

Ohhh noooooooes! 32 of usses dieds! Now how many Iraqi's is that so far, only 40 yesterday....

Enjoy your drive to mac donalds, i hope it was worth the dead you are driving on. Not saying you specifically, but you are looking a bit holy up there on my, 'your country is just as bad as mine' horse.

The finger is pointed at the crowd you are in, if you think it is pointed directly at you then you must be feeling a bit guilty.

Oh yes... HOW DARE I.
May 3, 2007 10:41:02 PM

Quote:
To RobWright : Owning a pc does not make you an introvert (you went to a school in texas didn't you), this guy was pushed EVERY day likely every few minutes of every day. Thanks for REFUSING to see someone elses opinion.
You don't have to like what i say.

Are you kidding? I don't even know where to begin. Sir, you've never met me, and you are making giant and incorrect presumptions about me and my past based on nothing more than a few foru posts and articles I've written. Who are you to judge what makes me an introvert? I honestly can't believe you would even attempt to write such a thing. It's absolutely ridiculous. And just for the record, no, I'm not from Texas. I'm not even sure what that has to do with anything.

And furthermore, what could you possibly know about Cho's experiences? You don't know he was picked on every day. In fact, all you may know is that, according to David Carwile, someone who actually DID know Cho, his classmates and dorm mates did make attempts to include him and talk to him.

You don't know much of anything about this case. I'm criticizing your opinion and what you have to say because 1) you're hurling assumptions around about me and Cho when you don't have any factual information to support, and 2) you're anti-American rants are nothing but poorly constructed insults. If you want to criticize the U.S., be my guest -- there's plenty of fodder for it. But try doing it in an intelligent, informed and mature manner.

Please, I beg you: come back tomorrow when you've have a chance to collect yourself. In the meantime, if you want to know more about my own experiences and feelings, I suggest you do some homework:

http://www.twitchguru.com/2006/12/18/mmr/

http://www.twitchguru.com/2006/10/23/mmr/
May 3, 2007 11:24:25 PM

I am going to stop arguing, i read your articles and they are mostly good and thank you for that.

Actually I made *1* assumption about you. it is hard to hurl one thing around, as once it is thrown you need to go and fetch it again.

You inadvertently defended a fascist state, you were against it in the top article, but over here you defended it, whether on purpose or not.

Point made.

I am sorry that i sound like a total wanker about this but it just goes to show you what happens.

Since we will likely never agree on this point there is no reason to pursue this.

Comeuppance...

Death solves all problems, no man, no problem - Joseph Stalin (EVIL man)

*IF* a bully was killed in this case then this was a good thing in my eyes.

Cho was evil for his actions, the bullies were evil for theirs -1*-1 = 1.

If all 32 of them were bullies then we have a 32 net gain.
May 4, 2007 11:22:42 AM

Does life have no worth anymore, anyone that can take a life in cold blood is a soulless being. There is such a thing as humanity and people who shove that aside saying that someone… anyone deserved death is verging on either stupid or inhuman.

I have to agree North America is a very immature country in the sense of their gluttony, waste and morality. But then I believe any country that murders living people for the state under a death penalty is to be held as immature. It seems as if America has grown up too fast for it’s own good, like a 12-year-old boy with the body of a 25-year-old man. It does not quite know how to treat its populace or how to change the way they live and laws they abide with in the accordance of the age they live in.

A country that is ran in this day and age does not need every citizen in its populous to bare arms, especially one as secure as America. It just seems that the whole country is scared of everyone, and fear brings with it violence and suffering. A scared nation is also a very unpleasant one to be in but is an easily directed nation for the one who is in power. I don’t think anything will change in North America till someone in power realises this fact and makes some real changes in to the way the country is ran and the way people are encouraged to think.

Rob I understand what you mean, the man who done this terrible thing in North America no matter how much he was bullied or what he went through in life should in no way have the urge or the willingness to go through with such a terrible thing. I my self was bullied in Scotland, if you want to have a hard time try moving from England to Scotland (the most racist country in Europe). I was bullied from the age of 8 years old till the age I left school at 16, I had an emotional break down at the age of 15 due to the death of my step father and the terrible way the fellow students treated me knowing full well that this had happened “ha ha your dads dead, you English bastard” (I was born in Scotland). But even with all this I never once got the compulsion to go in there and kill people.

On top of all that happened to me I have been a heavy gamer from the age of 13, starting on such games as Counter Strike a game that I played for many hours on end back in those days. I used those games as a form of stress relief and enjoyment, a hobby I could share with others online and have a laugh with like-minded people. In no way did it make me violent (apart from telling my mum to fuck off out my room but at that age, who doesn’t.)

Now I am 22 and I’m still in to games. I have a very nice job as a sales account manager, the most beautiful and best girlfriend I could ever want, a super bike, a nice car and have a flat with just my girlfriend and me. What has gaming done to my life, has it made it bad in any way? If anything it has made me a better person, I am more open and friendly and when ever I am going through a bad time I know where I can go to feel much better.

Gaming cannot do this to someone, only the way in which they live can.
!