Computer Battery

I have an eMachine using Windows XP and I just noticed there's a warning in the back of the instruction book about changing the battery - but there's no other mention of it anywhere.

Does this desktop PC have a battery?
What's it for?
What happens if it runs out?
Where can I find more info? (eMachines support seems to have a problem.)

Thank you. As you can tell, I'm a really new user.
5 answers Last reply
More about computer battery

    "Bobby Jones" <BobbyJones@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in news:1D0D8717-0467-4C69-90E7-A226C589919B@microsoft.com:
    > I have an eMachine using Windows XP and I just noticed there's a
    > warning in the back of the instruction book about changing the
    > battery - but there's no other mention of it anywhere.
    >
    > Does this desktop PC have a battery?
    > What's it for?
    > What happens if it runs out?
    > Where can I find more info? (eMachines support seems to have a
    > problem.)
    >
    > Thank you. As you can tell, I'm a really new user.

    Your BIOS is recorded in EEPROM (electrically erasable programmable
    read-only memory). It will remember its values even if all power is
    removed from it. CMOS (complimentary metal-oxide semiconductor) must
    remained energized to retain the values stored in it. When you boot,
    the BIOS stored in CMOS gets used (unless it is corrupted which forces a
    reload of values from the EEPROM into the CMOS). The battery is used to
    keep the CMOS energized. It can be a fixed (i.e., soldered) black box
    on your motherboard (in old PCs), a wafer battery about the size of a
    nickel in a snap-in holder on the motherboard, or a small square box
    with leads going to your motherboard (usually a replacement battery for
    soldered-on batteries that went dead).

    The lithium wafer batteries have a shelf life 5 years. Due to
    manufacturing storage, shipping, more storage at the builder, storage
    for the computer it is in, and other delays before you actually get the
    computer with that battery, the battery could already be a year or two
    old. So replace them at 3-year intervals, or whenever you notice your
    system clock is getting off (presuming you don't run a time-sync program
    to connect out to a server to continually resync your clock which can
    mask the time sync problem with a low battery), or when your BIOS
    settings keep reverting back to their EEPROM defaults (because the CMOS
    gets no juice to keep it alive).

    http://www.computerhope.com/help/cmos.htm

    (E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

    Your e-machine will have a lithium battery, about the size of a small coin,
    that sits in a clip holder on the motherboard. Ensure the computer is
    powered off then remove the computer case cover and locate the battery. It
    is easy to replace the batter however doing so will often reset the BIOS
    settings back to factory default. It is often necessary after replacing a
    battery to enter the BIOS Setup and adjust the date as removal of the
    battery might well take the system back to it's original date. There are
    several programs that run off floppy that can save BIOS (CMOS) settings and
    restore them. It is handy to run such a program prior to swapping out
    batteries. You can then simply restore the BIOS settings after the new
    battery is installed.

    See here for instructions on changing batteries
    http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp

    Download a CMOS Settings saver http://www.highfiber.com/~raster/cmos.zip
    Read the included txt file. You can copy the file CMOS.COM to a bootable
    floppy. Start computer with the floppy. At the command prompt type CMOS.COM
    and press enter. Then type CMOS /SAVE and press enter. This will backup your
    BIOS settings to a file on the floppy called CMOS.SAV

    After you swap out the battery restart the computer with the floppy. This
    time run CMOS.COM again and then type CMOS /LOAD this will restore the BIOS
    settings and reboot the computer.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Bobby Jones" <BobbyJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have an eMachine using Windows XP and I just noticed there's a warning
    in the back of the instruction book about changing the battery - but there's
    no other mention of it anywhere.

    > Does this desktop PC have a battery?
    > What's it for?
    > What happens if it runs out?
    > Where can I find more info? (eMachines support seems to have a
    problem.)

    > Thank you. As you can tell, I'm a really new user.

    start up settings not quite sure how long batteries last
    (i think round about five years) but you willknow when it
    is time to replace it as the clock on youe pc will lose
    time, it is easy to replace and easy to find, it's looks
    like a large watch battery on your motherboard.

    All motherboards have a battery which is usually circular and around 20
    millimetre diameter.
    This holds the special bios settings if so arranged.
    It means that you would have to manually reset the bios every time you start
    the PC if the battery died.

    The modern computer with "ATX" system is always on if your mains power is
    left connected.
    If left connected, your internal battery has nothing to do.
    Hence it would last for many years.

    Wrong! The type of batteries used has a definate shelf life. It will die
    whether being used or not.,
    "Killer" <Devious@noplace.com> wrote in message
    > All motherboards have a battery which is usually circular and around 20
    > millimetre diameter.
    > This holds the special bios settings if so arranged.
    > It means that you would have to manually reset the bios every time you start
    > the PC if the battery died.
    >
    > The modern computer with "ATX" system is always on if your mains power is
    > left connected.
    > If left connected, your internal battery has nothing to do.
    > Hence it would last for many years.

Battery Computers eMachines Windows XP