Sign in with
Your question

The Best Games Never Published, Part 3

Last response: in Video Games
May 2, 2007 6:08:41 PM

It's time for another look at some of the promising and anticipated games that were cancelled before they saw the light of day. From the Atari age to the PlayStation 2 era, TwitchGuru profiles more lost souls condemned to development hell.

More about : games published part

May 2, 2007 11:11:49 PM

I'm torn....
part of me says that it is a travesty that they had almost completed a decent sounding Battletech MMO and then canceled it.

Another part of me says that I know I would never have paid a monthly fee to play a game back then, even for Battletech, and that I would be disappointed that it completely lacked any real RPG or PVE elements. It honestly sounds a little too simplistic to warrant a monthly fee.

I still hold out hope that one day a really good Battletech MMORPG will come out.

Dammit, now you got me hankering for a Mechwarrior 5 or a Mech Commander 3 when I know darn well neither is going to happen in the foreseeable future. Curse you!
Related resources
May 3, 2007 10:58:09 AM

You missed a BIG one in that article.

AMEN, by Cavedog.

Unfortunately Cavedog ran out of bones so they had to club Amen to death.

Could be a good thing cause the story line was a bit along the lines of heresy.

If you look you can still find the video for the game, it looks AWESOME compared to any of the other games round then.
The screenshots are very good looking too, just need a bit of AA and AF.

Well another tragedy is that we will likely not get a tribes 4.

Tribes 3 was GOOD. f'n pirates and vivendi.
May 3, 2007 11:03:35 AM

A game I would have liked to see published was Thrill Kill for Playstation. It was developed by Paradox and published by Virgin Interactive. Electronic Arts bought Virgin Interactive and canceled Thrill Kill for being to graphic and sexual. The game had one of the best 4-way fighting engines at the time. Good thing someone got mad at EA for cancalling it and release it to the wild.
May 3, 2007 1:28:15 PM

I played that, most of the load screens were black and white, and some maps were left out, it was bloody violent, you got 4 of each character with a different skin, one flaming guy (sometime the texture of the flames would invert and you would get a yellow square with a transparent flame shape in the middle.) you got a guy with a scalpel and these little dwarves on stilts and this big ape thing, the arena's were quite small ie a prison bathroom or a padded cell. Pretty messed up. Not a good moral game. The killing moves were horrible, not like mortal combat, just disturbing. The suffering is the kind of thing you will think about if you see this game. Not for me. I think you got a guy in a straight jacket too.... And a dude with metal jaw (I think he was the scalpel guy) The game needed a bit of lithium...
May 3, 2007 3:39:51 PM

I'm surprised that none of those three articles have featured Elite IV - or is that more vapourware? ;-)
May 3, 2007 4:00:59 PM

Crusader : No Mercy

Crusader is the most awesome game EVER. Half life was the next action game to be worth anything. I still play the game, better than any game so far. Best graphics, still looks good, too bad you cant run it through open gl or direct 3d else you could get rid of the jagged edges. I got pissed off when the brought out virtua fighter, cause 3d SUCKED ASS back then if you wanted a good looking game then crusader was it. I still prefer 2d over 3d you can get much better visuals with pre-rendering than you can with real time. (take the killzone 2 video for example HAHA XD)
May 3, 2007 4:13:23 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised that none of those three articles have featured Elite IV - or is that more vapourware?

I looked at Elite IV and discounted it for two reasons. First, when the game was first being developed back in the late 80s, Frontier apparently didn't get very far. Second, Frontier has hinted that it will actually release the game, possibly next year. Don't hold your breath.

Quote:
A game I would have liked to see published was Thrill Kill for Playstation.

Thrill Kill...ah, good call. How could I forget about that one! 4-way fighting and graphic fighting game violence that supposedly put Mortal Kombat to shame. That's a good game for the next article...

Quote:
You missed a BIG one in that article.

AMEN, by Cavedog.

I don't know if that's a big one, but it's a good suggestion. I vaguely recall Amen but don't remember if they got very far in the development before closing up shop. Still, it's a notable title, considering it was from Cavedog.
May 3, 2007 4:23:29 PM

this stuff is just sad

soo many good games that never made it.
May 3, 2007 4:59:13 PM

I'm just waiting for the Duke to stop taking forever.
May 3, 2007 5:17:21 PM

Team Fortress 2.... I wonder what part of hell that game is in now.
May 3, 2007 5:21:56 PM

Quote:

TF2 is actually coming in the fall, according to Valve. Seriously, I'm not making this up. It's supposedly a done deal. It's scheduled for release sometime around Sept. with HL2 Episode 2.
May 3, 2007 5:30:05 PM

What is this you say? Elite IV? What?
What happened to Elite III? Was there an Elite III?

I played so much Elite II Frontier back when I was a kid that I had the best ship in the game with the best engine I could find, and was practically unkillable. I also had enough money to, on a whim, piss off all three of the Earth orbiting space stations and fight off the entire police force retailiation until they were out of ships, eject in my escape pod, fly up to one of those space stations, pay my fine, land, and buy a new one, leaving my old ship to the crew that worked for me.

And that would be a drop in the bucket.
May 3, 2007 5:30:06 PM

Are they throwing portal in with that too or is that just a rumor? Cause i would get that for portal alone. Also are they shipping HL2 + Ep1 + Ep2 + extras in one box cause i would go for that for pc. I know the ps3 gets them all in one.(sorry for going off topic)
May 3, 2007 5:37:00 PM

8O TF2 is actully coming out?!? I guess it's now in the frozen part of hell.
May 3, 2007 8:28:40 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised that none of those three articles have featured Elite IV - or is that more vapourware?

I looked at Elite IV and discounted it for two reasons. First, when the game was first being developed back in the late 80s, Frontier apparently didn't get very far. Second, Frontier has hinted that it will actually release the game, possibly next year. Don't hold your breath.

Next year? David Braben took the game off of the Frontier Developments website a couple of years ago :p  The reason I suggested it was vapourware is because it's a game that has supposedly been in production since Frontier First Encounters came out, and that was over 10 years ago!

Quote:
What is this you say? Elite IV? What?
What happened to Elite III? Was there an Elite III?

I played so much Elite II Frontier back when I was a kid that I had the best ship in the game with the best engine I could find, and was practically unkillable. I also had enough money to, on a whim, piss off all three of the Earth orbiting space stations and fight off the entire police force retailiation until they were out of ships, eject in my escape pod, fly up to one of those space stations, pay my fine, land, and buy a new one, leaving my old ship to the crew that worked for me.

And that would be a drop in the bucket.

It used to mention Elite IV on David Braben's website, which would make sense as Frontier First Encounters was the third Elite game.

I know FFE got a lot of bad press, but graphically the planets were much nicer than Frontier, and with things like the monthly newspapers you felt much more immersed in the future Elite world.

The modified shareware versions out there with MP3/OGG music support and editable screen resolutions (for example, on my now-dead HP laptop it run at native 1400x900 :D ) were for me the definitive versions of FFE and made it the game it always should of been. On the version I had on the lappy, I replaced the in-game music with Enigma and Jarre OGGs which suited the game much better than the original midis. In particular, having Eniga's "Goodbye Milky Way" as the opening theme tune at the start of the game (where the big Thargoid comes out and blasts up the Imperial Explorer, which looked like a dodgey star ship Enterprise rip off) seemed to really fit perfectly :D 
May 3, 2007 9:10:51 PM

Hmm... I had never heard of Frontier First Encounters....

And that wouldn't be the third game, it would be at least the fouth
I know of at least there being the following.
Elite
Elite II Plus ( I would assume there was just an Elite II at some point as well)
Elite II Frontier

I always wondered why Elite II Frontier was not Elite III Frontier... It was a dramatic graphical AND gameplay update from Elite II Plus.
May 3, 2007 9:57:43 PM

Quote:

TF2 is actually coming in the fall, according to Valve. Seriously, I'm not making this up. It's supposedly a done deal. It's scheduled for release sometime around Sept. with HL2 Episode 2.
True true. Just read an article on it in EGM. The characters look sweet too.
May 4, 2007 4:45:20 AM

I had an old Atari 800 computer, yes, computer at one point when I was growing up, and one of the games I had for it was The Last Starfighter. It had the same opening graphics as the arcade game, but not much else, and it was a pretty lame game when you actually played it.

As I remember it, all you had to do was sit back and wait until the codan motherships started boring holes in the "frontier." Once they made a hole large enough, if you could get there in time you could just fire missiles at them and kill them. Do that a few times, and then you could fly to the Codan homeworld and bomb their planet.

This was incredibly difficult...you would scroll the planet interface until you found a city, and then hit the bomb button. Wow. Exciting.

But, as I said, the opening graphics were great.
May 4, 2007 9:10:52 AM

If you are on steam you can download some previews to TF2, they look pretty good, apparently they push the source engine as far as it has ever gone.
May 8, 2007 1:27:01 PM

There is still another MPBT : 3025 project still out there. http://www.iswars.com . It is in open beta and pretty close to release.
May 8, 2007 9:14:52 PM

Rott, the real successor to MPBT3025 was Project Jenner, unfortunately that died due to changes in game engines and such, and is now being reborn as IS3028

Its bogged down of late (last 6 months have been slow, but hey, it is people doing stuff in their spare time so...)

I'm glad Tom's added it in their list, its probably the best mech based online game in a long time. yea its dated now, but when it came out, it was the *mutt's nuts* as they say.

I was lucky enough to be a Beta test on 3025, and can remember many nights logging on at around 9pm (gmt) and playing through till 2am on a Pentium3 800 with a lowly 56k connection.

Just goes to show that mega corporations don't always make intelligent decisions (just look at the size of the whole Mech based franchise over the last 6 years)
May 9, 2007 5:32:41 PM

The Last Starfighter... we must all be all getting old... over 20 years ago!!!
May 10, 2007 7:02:24 PM

I saw page one and said, "Where's Full Throttle?". Then with a relief came page 2...
May 14, 2007 7:09:17 PM

Joss Whedon was never forbidden, and in fact was encouraged to take Firefly to another network. Both UPN and Sci-Fi turned him down, you can find his posts on the subject on various firefly fan boards.

I think it has to do more with game companies being worried they'll look like idiots if the property actually succeeds somewhere else, and Sierra's Bab5 license has almost definately expired, and given that it's now far more expensive with the DVD sales success, unlikely to be renewed
!