system registry

im new to backing up and want to back up my registry how do you back-up the whole registry?
3 answers Last reply
More about system registry

    Start/Run/type REGEDIT and click OK
    Click File/Export and send it to a place wherever you please on your harddrive,
    very like to My Documents so you'll know where to find it later if needed.

    "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Start/Run/type REGEDIT and click OK
    | Click File/Export and send it to a place wherever you please on your
    harddrive,
    | very like to My Documents so you'll know where to find it later if needed.
    |
    | "tudrussell" wrote:
    |
    | > im new to backing up and want to back up my registry how do you back-up
    the whole registry?

    No offense intended but this is a poor way to backup the registry.

    The purpose of a backup is to replace the working copy in the event that it
    becomes unusable. The above described method would have to be imported back
    into and merged with the current working copy with potentially undesirable
    results.

    One way to make a backup of the registry is with a restore point. (which
    Windows XP does daily with no user intervention)

    A good secondary backup plan would be to use ERUNT a free utility available
    here.
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    "tudrussell" <tudrussell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >im new to backing up and want to back up my registry how do you back-up the whole registry?

    If you use System Restore and create a new restore point then the
    System Restore data will include a regsitry backup

    If you use the Backup utility in Windows XP and choose the Backup
    Wizard then the "backup system state" option will include a registry
    backup.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --