Sign in with
Your question

Best FPS to hone skills?

Last response: in Video Games
May 3, 2007 6:18:07 PM

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get into some FPS mutliplayer games, but I definately need to improve my mouse + keyboard skills (darn you Halo on Xbox for ruining me!!!).

I would like some advice on good solo games (offline) that would translate well into online play. I know the bots are dumb, but I was thinking more of just improving the hand eye coordination and accuracy.

I was looking for a fun title that would keep me engaged, but also improve my skills. I know the physics and "feel" of the games vary, so I don't want to get a unique title that has gameplay that deviates too far from the norm.

Any advice? Some people mentioned FEAR as a good game. Any others?

Thanks!

More about : fps hone skills

May 3, 2007 7:13:59 PM

Do you have any FPS games currently? if so just play the campain or story line to them. You have to put up with the BS of the story line but you'd get the idea. That or just pickup a FPS and jump online. The only way to really get used to it is throw yourself to the wolves online. BF2142 is really fun and action packed. Some maps support 64 people and they are full alot of times. You die a tremendous amount of times but oh well it's fun. 99% of FPS's work the same with the "W"A"S"D" buttons to move around and Ctrl to run or crouch or something. Personally I found it easier to setup all the buttons on my mouse depending on the game. I hahave 2 side buttons and one is prone and other is crouch. and I usually set the 3rd button (push scroll wheel) to something as well. It makes it easly accessable during those heavy fire times.

Throw yourself to the wolves man, they will teach you. You will pick it up FASTER then a slow paced campain.

There are so many FPS games out there its hard to recommend. WHat do you like? futuristic? scary Doom type? WWII stuff?
May 4, 2007 1:07:40 PM

Quote:
Do you have any FPS games currently? if so just play the campain or story line to them. You have to put up with the BS of the story line but you'd get the idea. That or just pickup a FPS and jump online. The only way to really get used to it is throw yourself to the wolves online. BF2142 is really fun and action packed. Some maps support 64 people and they are full alot of times. You die a tremendous amount of times but oh well it's fun. 99% of FPS's work the same with the "W"A"S"D" buttons to move around and Ctrl to run or crouch or something. Personally I found it easier to setup all the buttons on my mouse depending on the game. I hahave 2 side buttons and one is prone and other is crouch. and I usually set the 3rd button (push scroll wheel) to something as well. It makes it easly accessable during those heavy fire times.

Throw yourself to the wolves man, they will teach you. You will pick it up FASTER then a slow paced campain.

There are so many FPS games out there its hard to recommend. WHat do you like? futuristic? scary Doom type? WWII stuff?

Well, I bought CS:Source... didn't care for it... die and then I have to sit and watch other people play - how does that help me get better???

I played CS: Day of Defeat last night... much more enjoyable.... but still not my bag.

I would like to get into the realistic games, but my keyboard and mouse need to be improved dramatically - it just is not enjoyable right now.

A ton of snipers and campers drag down the experience when you're just strarting out. I know that many of those players on CS have been doing it for years... so they know the levels inside and out.

Is battlefied a little more forgiving in terms of health? Call of Duty2 seems to be popular too... but I've heard mix reviews.

I just want to get my skills up to play on the next generation of games (Quake Team, Team Fortress, Crysis, etc.).

So I guess I'm looking for a fun and slightly forgiving game title for now.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 5, 2007 3:49:52 PM

Quote:
well, i like to harp on about red orchestra alot. hell, someone has to. it won't really prepare you for other games as it operates differently.

however, it doesn't have a single player mode only a practice one. the bots can be annoying but set to the right level and you can get severely owned. that is a good thing as it prepares you for online.

it is a realistic game as the bullets fire where the gun is pointing. sounds obvious but most just point to the centre of the screen and use preset "recoil". like valve's cone of fire.

still, it takes some getting used to but the results are satisfying. whilst camping is common due to the nature of the game it is not the same as in CS:S.

it is alot more like dod in that it is a WWII style shooter but without the arcade style. also, like dod you have to capture and hold points but unlike dod, you cannot always recapture lost ones.

there is also tanks if you like that sort of thing with some infactry, some tanks and some mixed.

i would advise that you go look at the trailers via steam. it is also downl;oadable via steam. seriously should give it a go. if you don't like CS:S then chances are you will love this.

Sounds good, I'll give the demo a try.
May 6, 2007 11:01:13 AM

Quote:
Well, I bought CS:Source... didn't care for it... die and then I have to sit and watch other people play - how does that help me get better???

when you die watch the person with the highest or near highest score to you, see what tactics they use how they aim there gun when they spray when they dont, theres a whole lot you can learn from watching.

CS:S is a great game it just takes a little while to get to a good level, start of in the public servers and that will give you an easy start, then move up to clan run servers and then theres some pro servers that are just all the best players from some really good clans(these servers are extremly hard for a beginer)
!