Access Point crashes my network...pls help

MD

Hello. I have a small network of about a dozen computers at work, All
wired. I wanted to add a wireless AP so I can use some laptops and a
handheld with 802.11b. So, I bought an Access Point. It is a TecNew
Wireless LAN Access Point. When I plug it in, and hook it with ethernet
into my hub, IT will work with my handheld, BUT after a little while, maybe
4-10 min, ALL MY OTHER computers lose connectivity to the Net. No email, no
websites. If I unhook the AP, after a few minutes, the connectivity comes
back to the other computers.

Any ideas? Why is the AP blocking my internet?

My system is configured with a partial T1 line coming into a router and then
from the router I hang about 25 ports on two hubs. The AP was going into
one of the ports thru the wiring in my offices. Should I hang the AP
directly off the router??? Or directly into the hub?

Any advice would be appreciated.

The TecNew comes with a useless CD. The setup program does not load
properly on my XP machine (it is supposed to work with XP) and the 28 page
manual in a pdf file has about 1/3 of the pages blank where there is
supposed to be information. Is there any place to find the Tecnew AP
software? their AP MAnager? One thing I want to do is set up security on he
AP, at least a WEP encryption, but I can't do it with the faulty software.

thanks in advance.

mark

info (at) kramden dott Net

Very interesting and any luck so far ? I am thinking of this Tecnew AP.

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:22:33 -0400, md spoketh

>4-10 min, ALL MY OTHER computers lose connectivity to the Net. No email, no
>websites. If I unhook the AP, after a few minutes, the connectivity comes
>back to the other computers.
>
>Any ideas? Why is the AP blocking my internet?

Perhaps the unit is damaged... A working AP should not knock out your
network...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:22:33 -0400, md spoketh
>

> >4-10 min, ALL MY OTHER computers lose connectivity to the Net. No email,
no
> >websites. If I unhook the AP, after a few minutes, the connectivity
comes
> >back to the other computers.
> >
> >Any ideas? Why is the AP blocking my internet?
> >

> Perhaps the unit is damaged... A working AP should not knock out your
> network...
>
> Lars M. Hansen
> http://www.hansenonline.net
> (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Agreed. A damaged Ethernet adapter on the AP could be jabbering.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

pat

Expert

Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem connecting
to the WAP. I would like to configure some security with it, but I
can't connect.

"md" <info@NOspamPLEASEkramden.net> wrote in message news:<cembat022j@enews1.newsguy.com>...
> Hello. I have a small network of about a dozen computers at work, All
> wired. I wanted to add a wireless AP so I can use some laptops and a
> handheld with 802.11b. So, I bought an Access Point. It is a TecNew
> Wireless LAN Access Point. When I plug it in, and hook it with ethernet
> into my hub, IT will work with my handheld, BUT after a little while, maybe
> 4-10 min, ALL MY OTHER computers lose connectivity to the Net. No email, no
> websites. If I unhook the AP, after a few minutes, the connectivity comes
> back to the other computers.
>
> Any ideas? Why is the AP blocking my internet?
>
> My system is configured with a partial T1 line coming into a router and then
> from the router I hang about 25 ports on two hubs. The AP was going into
> one of the ports thru the wiring in my offices. Should I hang the AP
> directly off the router??? Or directly into the hub?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> The TecNew comes with a useless CD. The setup program does not load
> properly on my XP machine (it is supposed to work with XP) and the 28 page
> manual in a pdf file has about 1/3 of the pages blank where there is
> supposed to be information. Is there any place to find the Tecnew AP
> software? their AP MAnager? One thing I want to do is set up security on he
> AP, at least a WEP encryption, but I can't do it with the faulty software.
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> mark
>
> info (at) kramden dott Net

On 13 Aug 2004 06:08:27 -0700, Pat spoketh

>Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem connecting
>to the WAP. I would like to configure some security with it, but I
>can't connect.

What exactly are your problems? The WAP54G works fine with Windows XP
(assuming you have the WPA patch or SP2) and Windows 2000 (using the
newest version of the software from Linksys with the (included) Odyssey
client from Funk Software).

What are you running and what are you doing when you try to make
encryption work for you?

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

pat

Expert

Just as a follow-up. I was able to figure out my problem. The TecNew
WL1002 came with a software that try to locate the WAP. I was trying
to connect the WAP directly to the router. I think the router was
causing my problem. When I connected one PC to a switch with the WAP,
the software was able to find the WAP, and I was able to configure it.
Once it was configured, I was able to connect it back to the router,
and the software was still able to find the WAP. It seems my problem
is solved, for now.

Thank you
Patrick