K7S5A: 2 short then 8 steady beeps

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Does anyone know where I can find information on beep codes for the k7s5a? I am building a system from salvaged parts that all may or may not be good. So far I am getting 2 short then 8 steady beeps, then later 2 short and then 1 beep. All help appreciated.

Dev

Just because people are following me does not mean I'm paranoid!

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Great :(

Could it be the controller? I tested it with another chip that was good, but still got the same beeps.

Dev

llewelyn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
this board is probably the least suitable for building a system out of salvaged parts. on the ECS website you'll find a list of compatible hardware. you can find the beep codes on the relevant bios homepage.

wishing you lots of luck, you'll need it!

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
-wishing you lots of luck, you'll need it!

You don't even know the half of it. This box is going to be a dual boot netware server and Solaris 8 server. Getting it to pass the POST is only the beginning. I guess I'm just in a masochistic mood :p

Anyways, could this be a problem with the processor? It's not dead (i still get beeps) but perhaps some small non fatal problem. BTW the 2-8 beep is non-fatal so it keeps going. I think the 2-1 is video or kb, but both have been certified good. I'm gonna try with a geforce that I have somewhere and hope that will solve the problem. I'm really stuck on the 2-8 though. None of these beeps are listed at AMI or ECS websites.

Dev

lpenix

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
hi, go to ocworkbench.com, they have a section on this board, and alot of info.

Before i put my ATHLON XP on prozac, it thought it was a PENTIUM 4

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
The problem is that the board does not like my POS trident video card. This card works on my other boards, but the k7s5a just won't take it. I've tried changing from agp to pci as primary display adapter in CMOS Setup, but still no luck. Any ideas?

Dev

Poor windows was not a brave soul. Threatened by the force of General Protection and Major Problem the little OS committed suicide by hanging.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
well if thats the prob. than obviously u gotta use a diff. video card..................

if ur just sayign ur video adapter sux.....it soudns to me like ur BIOS is [-peep-]...i had a PC Chips M830LR b4 i got the actual K7S5A (both r the same board) and i updated the ios but when i did the thing rebooted itself and did the 2 beeps and a few constant ones like urs is doing............

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
>well if thats the prob. than obviously u gotta use a diff. >video card..................

Sure, will you give me yours? :p

>if ur just sayign ur video adapter sux.....it soudns to me >like ur BIOS is [-peep-]...

HMMMM....Okay???

Seriously, this is a computer of all salvaged parts that I wanted to make into a Solaris server. I never thought it would be easy, but I hoped someone in this forum would have had the same problem and tried to solve it, not just give up because of a little self-test problem. Seems, I'm out of luck, but will keep trying on my own.

Dev

Poor windows was not a brave soul. Threatened by the force of General Protection and Major Problem the little OS committed suicide by hanging.