Windows Backup Utility

I have never used the Backup Utility included with WINXP, I don't know why,
habit I suppose. I have always used an Imaging Program, Ghost, DI and now
True Image. They all have served me well. However, as the WIN XPprgram is
there I am wonderting why I don't use it. My question is , is what is the
downside to the Win Backup Program? I assume in the event of being unable
to boot into WINXP, you can restart using the CD then restore the system
using the backup, is this how it works? Thinking aloud, I guess you need to
restore from outside of Windows so would need a boot CD, similar to True
Image. Anyway, is there any reason why I should not use the WINXP backup in
preference to a third party imaging program?
4 answers Last reply
More about windows backup utility

    You can't do an ASR (Automated System Recovery) with the Backup program that
    ships with XP Home.
    If you have XP Pro the Backup utility will enable you to complete an ASR
    however you will need a second hard drive or a tape drive to take advantage
    of it because the utility doesn't split large files and it won't burn
    directly to CD or DVD.
    There is no valid reason to use it if you have better imaging software like
    those you mentioned.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >I have never used the Backup Utility included with WINXP, I don't know why,
    > habit I suppose. I have always used an Imaging Program, Ghost, DI and now
    > True Image. They all have served me well. However, as the WIN XPprgram is
    > there I am wonderting why I don't use it. My question is , is what is the
    > downside to the Win Backup Program? I assume in the event of being unable
    > to boot into WINXP, you can restart using the CD then restore the system
    > using the backup, is this how it works? Thinking aloud, I guess you need
    > restore from outside of Windows so would need a boot CD, similar to True
    > Image. Anyway, is there any reason why I should not use the WINXP backup
    > in
    > preference to a third party imaging program?

    Win backup gives the option for data backup or a full system restore
    including a recovery boot disk. I've never had to use it so I cannot
    vouch for it's success, but if you're happy using another program I
    should stick to that. Incidentally, it's interesting to note that
    backup isn't included with XP Home version & it's not easily
    installable - doesn't say much for Microsoft's faith in it, or do they
    assume the average home user isn't worried about saving data?

    --
    tallyman

    It is not that Microsoft isn't interested in the average user saving data
    after all they did integrate CD Burning capabilities into XP. However the
    NTBackup program is not designed for home use. It is designed more for the
    professional user who uses a tape backup system and has a need to schedule
    backups.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "tallyman" <tallyman.19swc4@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

    > Win backup gives the option for data backup or a full system restore
    > including a recovery boot disk. I've never had to use it so I cannot
    > vouch for it's success, but if you're happy using another program I
    > should stick to that. Incidentally, it's interesting to note that
    > backup isn't included with XP Home version & it's not easily
    > installable - doesn't say much for Microsoft's faith in it, or do they
    > assume the average home user isn't worried about saving data?
    >

    > --
    > tallyman

    Thanks to both for your response. It seems that the third party imaging
    software is the best bet.

    > You can't do an ASR (Automated System Recovery) with the Backup program
    that
    > ships with XP Home.
    > If you have XP Pro the Backup utility will enable you to complete an ASR
    > however you will need a second hard drive or a tape drive to take
    advantage
    > of it because the utility doesn't split large files and it won't burn
    > directly to CD or DVD.
    > There is no valid reason to use it if you have better imaging software
    like
    > those you mentioned.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > >I have never used the Backup Utility included with WINXP, I don't know
    why,
    > > habit I suppose. I have always used an Imaging Program, Ghost, DI and
    now
    > > True Image. They all have served me well. However, as the WIN XPprgram
    is
    > > there I am wonderting why I don't use it. My question is , is what is
    the
    > > downside to the Win Backup Program? I assume in the event of being
    unable
    > > to boot into WINXP, you can restart using the CD then restore the
    system
    > > using the backup, is this how it works? Thinking aloud, I guess you
    need
    > > restore from outside of Windows so would need a boot CD, similar to True
    > > Image. Anyway, is there any reason why I should not use the WINXP
    backup
    > > in
    > > preference to a third party imaging program?

Backup Microsoft Windows XP