Halo 2, is it worth it?

What will you do, buy it, give M$ the flick or crack it?

• Buy it

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Give it a miss

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Crack it

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

commie

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
I have recently read up on the fact that Halo 2 is coming to a PC. I am a fan of the original Halo, but upon looking at the details of the upcoming title I have reservations.

1. Halo 2 is Vista only and I am not getting Vista until service pack 1 at the earliest.
2. Halo 2 for Vista doesn't actually use DX10, which is 'disappointing' to put it lightly.
3. You will have to pay to play Halo 2 online which I reckon is unacceptable
4. Halo 2 doesn't support LAN.
5. Halo 2 is priced as a new title even thought it is a 2004 game and the graphical improvements over the Xbox version seem to be minor.

So what do you reckon, will you buy it, give it a miss or just get a cracked copy to play the SP?

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
I have recently read up on the fact that Halo 2 is coming to a PC. I am a fan of the original Halo, but upon looking at the details of the upcoming title I have reservations.

1. Halo 2 is Vista only and I am not getting Vista until service pack 1 at the earliest.
2. Halo 2 for Vista doesn't actually use DX10, which is 'disappointing' to put it lightly.
3. You will have to pay to play Halo 2 online which I reckon is unacceptable
4. Halo 2 doesn't support LAN.
5. Halo 2 is priced as a new title even thought it is a 2004 game and the graphical improvements over the Xbox version seem to be minor.

So what do you reckon, will you buy it, give it a miss or just get a cracked copy to play the SP?

i'll probably GET IT SOMEHOW :wink:, if i get vista first, but i'm pretty excited about it. i mean, i don't have an xbox so i haven't played that game much, even tho i love what i have played. i just have to decide which is more worth it: buying an xbox and halo 2 or upgrading my computer and buying halo 2 :lol: . its not really supposed to be halo 2.1, its just halo for computer. it is a new game and charging $50 isn't that big of a deal to me. the original doesn't support dx10, why would this version? i'll probably just end up going the xbox route... but i think its cool anyway.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
you may want to if you hadn't played it on the console, like i. thats who they're advertising to, computer nerds who are too proud to play it on a console. if such people exist. i just haven't played it because i'm too poor to have an xbox :cry:

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
Since there are only a few games that will actually work with Vista, I will probably get Halo 2. However, I agree that we should not have to pay to play Halo 2 online.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
well, i think they're charging for the xbox live, rather than for the intarweb play, to be specific. however, that still means that compy buyers could have to pay, which i also find OUTRAGEOUS.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Yeah totally worth playing.....er.... I forgot its not 2004 and you will not be playing it on 480i SDTV. :x

$50 bucks for a 2.5 year old game....what a joke!

If you want I will sell you my old xbox with all my old games for $50 including Halo1 and 2

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Yeah totally worth playing.....er.... I forgot its not 2004 and you will not be playing it on 480i SDTV. :x

If you want I will sell you my old xbox with all my old games for $50 including Halo1 and 2

k. its a deal. i'll buy it.

commie

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
I am a bit surprised with the results of the poll. Personally, I expected more ppl to crack the game than those who would give it a miss but maybe it's a bit early in the poll to do any 'analysis'. I do think that whatever sends M$ the message is good enough: I hope very few ppl buy this game and even fewer agree to pay to play it online. With any luck M$ would actually lose money on this outrage. We can only hope.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Depends.

I might buy it or whatever. If it's a great game for the PC, then I'll buy it.

Same here. I have played Halo 2 for Xbox, but I never owned it myself. The game looked more like a FPS that belonged on a PC in the first place.

And it'll support XP, Microsoft will help out us underclassmen. :D

commie

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
That'd be good since I don't want to buy Vista any time soon (at least until the worthwhile DX10 games come out), btw is there any news on ppl trying to get DX10 working in linux or XP?

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004

:D Speaking of Halo 1, I tried installing that game on my computer a few days ago. To my surprise, it works great on Vista. Now if only I can get Mechwarrior 4 to work on Vista...