  • Backup
  • System Restore
  • Windows XP
July 22, 2004 4:48:39 PM

I am running Windows XP Professional, up to date as of today (July 22,
2004)

I used the Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Backup
program to backup the Cookies directory for each of the users on
my system.

I used the Backup program to restore the cookies to another location
in order to make sure things worked correctly. I used the Advanced
options to say do not replace existing files and to retain the current
settings.

Backup was nice enough to make a system restore point.

When the restore completed the alternative location only
had a single file for each user's cookies. Unfortuneately,
all of the cookies for everyone were deleted.

I tried restoring to the original location; all of the
cookies were still missing.

I used the system restore point to go back to the start
of the restore. The cookies were still gone.

(I checked the logs from the backup and restores and no
errors appeared.)

Are my cookies gone for good?

(Once again a backup procedure that breaks things when
tested.)

More about : restore cookies

July 22, 2004 4:48:40 PM

System Restore does not back-up cookies. Cookies will re-populate when the
web-sites are re-visited. Any site pass-words will have to be reentered.

JAX

!