Ageia Physx Owners - Free Game

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
CellFactor: Revolution

Released: Today, 8th May 2007

One of the games designed to show the power of the Ageia Physx card.

I don't know if it's any good, screenshots look good though. It is designed to show off the power of the physx card but i'm going to try and see if it works without having the card.

I don't support the physx card, think it is a waste of money, but everyone loves a free game :D

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
It is free?

Well I just priced the physx card and it weighs in at $150. That is a hell of a lot better than what it cost when it was brand new, but now it has proven to be... well fairly unsupported.

Also with Endorphin coming along, it is kind of... well... obsolete.

Unfortunately Ageia was not aggressive enough with their pricing/marketing the establish themselves solidly. As a result very few games will allow the physics calculations affect the world, just the graphics.

It is a shame really. The idea COULD have worked, but the implementation was all wrong.

Had the card been cheaper up front and more versatile it would have seen much better adoption. If for instance it merely provided a hardware platform on which you could run physics calculations from a wide variety of physics engines... well it would have been much more valuable. Just make a card that is optimized to run the types of calculations most often involved in physics processing.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
If for instance it merely provided a hardware platform on which you could run physics calculations from a wide variety of physics engines... well it would have been much more valuable. Just make a card that is optimized to run the types of calculations most often involved in physics processing.
They call them video cards. :p

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Although I do not own a physics card, I downloaded the game just to try it out. The single player campaign is only available to play if you have a physics card; therefore I played a multiplayer map with bots running around. There was a good amount of mayhem going on during the deathmatch: crates were flying, vehicles were getting slammed to the ground, and crane hooks were flying around. It was kind of difficult to tell what was damaging me sometimes: debris or bullets. There are 3 types of characters you can choose from: dual weapon wielding male android, laws of physics defying female android, and a balanced soldier (has both guns and psy type weapons, but has more limited movement). I really liked the music at the menu screen. The graphics were nice as well. I was getting decent frames most of the time, but when enough sh*t was flying around I experienced some choppiness. (B.t.w. my system has an E6600 processor, X1950xt graphics card, and 2GB of RAM)

The game seems nice, but after playing it I am not encourage enough to go buy a physics card just so I can play the single player campaign and some more multiplayer maps :lol: . I do not recommend downloading this game if you do not have a physics card, because you can only play multiplayer maps without it (no servers showed up, but there was an option to host/ I basically played against 3 bots). But... if curiosity gets the better of you: http://www.gamershell.com/news/38286.html

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I unfortunately do have a physix card and I'm man enough to show up! :oops: :D

Game looks interesting, but doesn't however tickle my fancy to download it or even go pick it up more or less.

Anyone in the market for a physix card? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deth

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I notice Alienware includes the Ageia Physx card in their top end gaming rigs. I never had the urge to buy one myself.. I sort of went a different route.

I own a GeForce 8800 GTX KO ACS3 which cost me $650. Hopefully, that will put any Ageia Physx card to shame. 8)

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
A physX card could be cool but bet on soldier is not worth the $150, if i ever get a 3 pci-e motherboard maybe, but even then... Graw might play a lot better but $150? Plus with ATI physics being a possibility...

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Also with Endorphin coming along, it is kind of... well... obsolete.

Why bring in Endorphin? That is software, I hope the people at PhysX have been smart enough to make their card such that it can handle multiple software implementation (or at least that they will be able to come out with hardware that can do hardware support for Endorphin).

The question of obsolescence is about whether separate physics accellerator cards are worthwhile addition to gpu's and multi core cpu's.

I tend to agree with you that dedicated hardware for physics support is effectively too late, and obsolete.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Unless I am mistaken, the PhysX card can only run Ageia's proprietary physics engine.

If you know something to the contrary, I would be interested, but I was under the impression that the reason so few games use it is because they have to utilize Ageia's physics engine to do so.