Mydocuments and local user setting have all disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

dananger

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
mydocuments and local user setting have all disappeared along with the files.
I have a 6 month old Pavillion d4 - HP (purchased Feb. 2010)

According to HP tech support, the computer is fine and the hard drive is good.

Question:
1. Are all of the folders and files that were part of my documents gone or just not mapping correctly?
2. How do I get the folders and local user settings to come back?
3. Is there a Windows 7 Diagnostic Tool?
3. Do I need to re-install windows 7

Thanks!

Solution
^¿?¿?

@dananger: Open windows explorer, select tools, folder options and select the 2nd tab after that look for the option "Show files, folders and hidden drives" apply and accept.
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- Both options could be valid since we don't know if the documents disappeared or are just hidden.
2- Look for a file that u remember the name and if u get reply write the position of the file.
3- None for documents.
4- No, no, no and don't do it until u are sure that the documents are fully lost.

dananger

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Thanks for the welcome to the forum and quick reply.

1- It appears the documents may hidden.

2 - I launched excel 2007 and was able to open a number excel files from the Recent Documents list. There are files in the list that say they are located in my "my documents" and some from my "desktop". I am able to open all of them with no problems. However, when I go to my desktop, the only icons visible are various short-cut icons. No files are visible on the desktop. I hope that this is a positive sign.

4 - Thanks. I will not re-install windows at this time.

dananger

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Thanks for the welcome to the forum and quick reply.

1- It appears the documents may hidden.

2 - I launched excel 2007 and was able to open a number excel files from the Recent Documents list. There are files in the list that say they are located in my "my documents" and some from my "desktop". I am able to open all of them with no problems. However, when I go to my desktop, the only icons visible are various short-cut icons. No files are visible on the desktop. I hope that this is a positive sign.

4 - Thanks. I will not re-install windows at this time.

dananger

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Phenomenal! Thanks saint19. You are a saint.

I did what you said and am now able to see all of the folders and files.
I have immeadiately downloaded them all to my external back up drive.

However, the newly unhidden document icons have a transparent look to them compared to the other icons in that were not previously hidden.

Is there something I can do to update the status of the previously hidden files so that they repond like the rest of the files.
Thanks again!

Yeah, just do right click in the folder, properties and uncheck the option that says "Hidden"

And the transparent color means that are hidden. Don't forget do the same steps for hide the folder and files (that u don't need see) when u update the status of the files that u want.

dananger

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Thanks again saint19!!
After spending over 2 hours on the phone with HP, you solved the problem in just 2 posts! Great job! I appreciate it.
As a new member to the forum, I will definitely be back to help where I can.
This place rocks!

"Documents and Settings" (from XP and earlier) has been replaced by "Users" (Vista and later). Normally, these folders are NOT hidden and you shouldn't have to check off any extra options in Explorer to view them. Also by default, your user folder (your user account name), Documents, Pictures and Music are all on the Start menu to make it easier to find them without clicking through a pile of folders. Why these would have been hidden, I don't know. I do know that temp files are created whenenver you open an Office document... and those are hidden.

I'm not sure whether someone was fooling around with your Users folder and made everything hidden or you were simply looking for a folder that doesn't exist anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.