Sign in with
Your question

Wii Nunchuck would OWN for movement in PC FPS... need help.

Last response: in Video Games
May 9, 2007 5:49:56 PM

Just got a Wii, but I realized that instead of using ASWD for movement in PC shooters... the Nunchuck + mouse combo would OWN.

If you have a Wii, and have used the Nunchuck, visuallize using this just for movement + 2 other buttons (e.g. crouching or jumping)... you'll know what I'm talking about.

Is there any way I can get the Nunchuck to hook into my PC as a joystick?

BTW - the only reason I got a Wii is because I knew the mom of a guy who works at the local video game store.... desperate times... :lol: 
May 10, 2007 6:39:24 PM

Quote:
...the only reason I got a Wii...

Liar.

There are hacks out there that allow you to use the Wii-mote on your PC. I don't know if it'd work as you'd like.

So essentially what you want is a half-mouse, half-gamepad hybrid? Sounds fairly awkward to me. I can see why you'd want it though. Analog movement matched with fast, precise aiming and all that...
May 10, 2007 9:49:10 PM

Quote:
...the only reason I got a Wii...

Liar.

There are hacks out there that allow you to use the Wii-mote on your PC. I don't know if it'd work as you'd like.

So essentially what you want is a half-mouse, half-gamepad hybrid? Sounds fairly awkward to me. I can see why you'd want it though. Analog movement matched with fast, precise aiming and all that...

Cool, I've been searching and didn't find any hacks. Yeah that's exactly what I'd like... it would actually be more comfortable for me.

But yes, the Wii still sells out. Just got it late last week because of a lady I know - her son works at the local video store. Told her how it's been impossible for me to get one in convo... well, he held one on the side for me once the new shipment came in (it's still very unpredictable when and how many).

Normally you can't reserve.
Related resources
May 11, 2007 6:10:49 AM

Oh, okay. I thought you were talking about your motivation: "I only bought a Wii because it was easy to get one. I'd never play it otherwise." Sorry about that misunderstanding...

By hacks, I didn't really mean easy software drivers or anything. I meant hardware hacks. Stuff that allows you to plug in a sensor bar and recieve the bluetooth signals. I don't think it's easy to hook a Wii-mote up yet. Maybe in several months...

Just googling "Wii-mote on PC" gives you a number of articles.

Happy hunting. :wink:
Anonymous
January 4, 2009 4:41:36 AM

Oh, I agree! I found this thread when searching the internet for a pc version of the nunchuck. I like using the mouse for aiming because of its precision, but I can't stand using the keyboard for moving. The movements my fingers have to do are just too unnatural. I like using analog controllers for moving, but they are harder to aim with, so I thought that a controller/mouse compromise would be best.

I know there's such a thing for the ps2 and ps3, the Split Fish FragFX. (http://au.gear.ign.com/articles/769/769529p1.html) Though it's designed to be a replacement for the left side of the playstation controller... which makes it inconvenient for pc use. It's basically only an analog stick.

If I were to design a "nunchuck" for the pc, I would give it an analog stick at the top that could map to shift when click for walking. I would put two buttons on the front, with one of them being a trigger, that could be used for jumping or crouching. I also would arrange three smaller buttons (two rows... one button in first row, two buttons in second row) in front of the analog stick for use as reload, flashlight, cycling, etc.

January 5, 2009 8:06:10 AM

Sounds horrible. Do you have small baby hands?
January 5, 2009 1:49:16 PM

Wiimote is good at pointing, but in modern FPS there is no pointing per say, there is player orientation, and arguably, mouse is much better for that.
for the rest, like changing weapons, move back forth, jump etc, keyboard is arguably much better. I would understand argument of joystick and mouse, but not Wiimote and mouse.
!