Windows XP STARTUP

July 23, 2004 8:11:01 PM

I defragmented my hard drive last night and set my computer to error check at next boot up. After rebooting, the computer now goes to the screen displayed when a startup is interrupted... Asking me if I want normal startup, safe mode, last good, etc.
The problem is, none of the options actually start the computer... they all bring you right back to the same screen after beginning to boot...

What can I do to get the computer to load? The restore CD's that came with the computer only allow for a full re-install of the hard drive (back to factory), so I am not wanting to go that route...

Thanks / Brandon

More about : windows startup

July 24, 2004 3:49:31 PM

Stop CHKDSK from running at boot time.

START | RUN | REGEDIT
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
Change the value: BootExecute
Change the data to: autocheck autochk *

"Brandon" wrote:

> I defragmented my hard drive last night and set my computer to error check at next boot up. After rebooting, the computer now goes to the screen displayed when a startup is interrupted... Asking me if I want normal startup, safe mode, last good, etc.
> The problem is, none of the options actually start the computer... they all bring you right back to the same screen after beginning to boot...
>
> What can I do to get the computer to load? The restore CD's that came with the computer only allow for a full re-install of the hard drive (back to factory), so I am not wanting to go that route...
>
> Thanks / Brandon
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 12:18:02 AM

I have read all the posts that address the issue of the computer being stuck in a reboot loop with the error message UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME...

I have tried unseating and reseating the hard drive cable... No success...

I have the original restore disks from the computer manufacturer, but there is no way that I can see to access the "Windows XP" disk that is mentioned - the programs on the CD's only allow for start to command prompt and restoring the entire system.

chkdsk is not a program that is on the Restore disks...

The computer did not come with separate XP disks nor startup disks... I have emergency startup disks from Norton's Anti, but when I load them, there is no access to the hard drive (it does not even show up in the list of drives in the utilities).

I realize I can re-install the original software and start from scratch again, but there is so very much data on that computer that I need to retrieve first.

Do you have any suggestions on how to solve this problem - or how to access the data so I can retrieve it before I reformat the whole thing if I have to?

Thanks

"Brandon" wrote:

> I defragmented my hard drive last night and set my computer to error check at next boot up. After rebooting, the computer now goes to the screen displayed when a startup is interrupted... Asking me if I want normal startup, safe mode, last good, etc.
> The problem is, none of the options actually start the computer... they all bring you right back to the same screen after beginning to boot...
>
> What can I do to get the computer to load? The restore CD's that came with the computer only allow for a full re-install of the hard drive (back to factory), so I am not wanting to go that route...
>
> Thanks / Brandon
July 28, 2004 4:57:40 AM

"Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I defragmented my hard drive last night and set my computer to
>error check at next boot up. After rebooting, the computer now
>goes to the screen displayed when a startup is interrupted...
>Asking me if I want normal startup, safe mode, last good, etc.
> The problem is, none of the options actually start the computer...
> they all bring you right back to the same screen after beginning
> to boot...
>
> What can I do to get the computer to load? The restore CD's that
> came with the computer only allow for a full re-install of the
> hard drive (back to factory), so I am not wanting to go that
> route...
>
> Thanks / Brandon

Try this link to the Microsoft Support Knowledge Base:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305595&Product=winxp
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 11:21:18 PM

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:18:02 -0700, Brandon wrote:

> Do you have any suggestions on how to solve this problem - or how to
> access the data so I can retrieve it before I reformat the whole thing
> if I have to?

You don't have many options on this computer using the recovery tools
provided by the OEM. If you had a second drive available, you could restore
to the new drive. Drop in the drive with all your data and rescue your data
files. If you have a friend with an XP computer, perhaps they would let you
drop the drive in long enough to move the data over to other media.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User