brucek

Distinguished
May 7, 2002
I have a Northwood P4-1.8G, ABit BD-7A mainboard, 512M PC-2100 RAM, IBM 40GB Deskstar 120GXP HD, WinXP. Tonight, when re-booting (cold) for another reason, I noted that the IDE detect routine in POST took about 15 seconds, followed the message "Unable to find bootable disk" (or something similar)- it also offered the opportunity to boot from the DVD drive. I powered down to a cold boot again, and everything came up OK. What could cause this? (The faulty POST sequence went Ok up to the beep and CPU/memory data). I do have Boot Magic installed. Any ideas- I'm a little concerned about it happening again in a more permanent manner :)

I also have doubts about the speed of the machine always being the same after a re-boot, but that could be my imagination.

This machine is about 4 months old, and while I keep it on 24/7 unless I have a raeson to re-boot, I've never seen this before.
Thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by brucek on 09/02/02 11:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
the first thing that comes to mind is the power supply, maybe at a cold start its just not giving enough power? not too likely, maybe the drive is having a hard time powering up? look for a setting called hd wait or somthing like that, it will wait some time for the drive to power up before the post starts.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Does your date reset? I had that problem on a machine I was troubleshooting at work. The cmos battery was dying, go figure. It's fortunatly the cheapest and easiest fix, so I'd look into that.

Dev

Poor windows was not a brave soul. Threatened by the force of General Protection and Major Problem the little OS committed suicide by hanging.