mighty_moe

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2002
All,
I am a relative newbie to this level of work but...I recently tried to upgrade my old P-150 with a new motherboard cpu combo. Chaintech MB w/ 1.1 athalon processor. Perfect fit everything swapped out pretty easy.. BUT.. I get nothing nada - the fan spins but no video or boot. I sent it back and their tech said everything was good. I checked the power supply, different video boards etc. Nothing no beeps, Where do I start with diagnosing this??
Help.

More info is needed. Did you change your old power supply? A 300 watt is the recommended minimum for your new athlon. Also, what type and brand of memory are you using? Are you trying to re-use an old video card, or does the new board have onboard video?

deadkenny

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Are you talking about 'upgrading' an old Pentium 150MHz system? Please post the particulars of case, p/s, video card, hdd etc. that you are taking from the old system. I would expect the old mobo to be AT and the new to be ATX for starters, although I guess there were some ATX socket 7 boards. Are we talking AGP video card? Could well be an old 3.3v AGP card trying to run on new 1.5v AGP slot.

That (upgrade) which does not destroy you(r system's stability), makes it stronger. Nietzche

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG I am NOT helping another newb diagnose every single newb problem again! READ some post and make sure you haven't made the same mistakes as the other newbs in here, then get back to us.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

mighty_moe

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2002
Crashman Said
"OMG I am NOT helping another newb diagnose every single newb problem again! READ some post and make sure you haven't made the same mistakes as the other newbs in here, then get back to us."

OMG Crashman - No need to be a POMPA$$ A$$!!! I have read and tried a number of things that are posted here. Everything at this time is pointing to a bad mother board. I have sent it back once and they sent it back to me claiming everything is alright. I still get nothing except some fans spinning. No beeps nothing.

To everyone else trying to help. Thank You.
I am putting in a Chaintech MB with a Duron Processor.
Chaintech - 7AJA2E 5PCI, 1AGP, 1AMR, ATX, AC97 Codec, VIA KT133A/686B.with CPU - AMD Duron 1.1Ghz 1100Mhz, with Heatsink & Fan, Complete Combo kit. The power supply is 300w which should be sufficient. I have swapped video cards from another working pc and that doesn't seem to be the problem. The memory has been swapped out to. Nothing left but the motherboard and the processor. I don't have a machine capable of swapping out the cpu to test. Any suggestions on what I am missing?

Check the cmos jumper to be sure it's in the "normal" position. Have you tried reversing the power switch lead to the mobo? You might check your cables again. Just one in backwards, especially the hardrive, can sometimes cause a "no boot" condition.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, last guy mentioned the "Clear CMOS" jumper, and yes it sometimes occurs that boards are shipped with that jumper in the "Clear" position. But there are the two most common things: that either a circuit on the back of the board is grounded to a misplaced mounting post, or that some drive data cables are flipped. And it could also be your power supply, these days calling a power supply "300W" can mean as little as calling it "silver".

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

mighty_moe

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2002
Another question. Even though I tested the video card by swapping it with another one. Somewhere in the archive it mentioned the AGP boards changing voltage from (I Believe)3.3 to a 1.5 or something like that. Is this something I can check. In addition. Someone else mentioned the lack of beeps to indicate something. Or should I just send the board back again and ask for a refund. TIA

rmaclean

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
You might want to swap the processor.

I've had a Duron die, with results like you describe - nothing happening on the system at all.

AMD had a replacement to me in just a few days, and the system ran perfectly after that.

TRENDING THREADS