"automatic" updates

Hello, I use Windows XP with Pentium IV and loads of
memory. I have been getting "automatic" updates. I can
find no way to change this to something I can control.

Here is the problem with it and why I want it more under
my control.

I received the tiny world icon in my systray a few days
ago telling me windows media player had a "critical"
update I needed. It was "Script Commands KB828026". I
downloaded it; installed it; and rebooted according to
instructions. Since that time I have been getting the
same icon with the exact same message...word for word the
same with number KB828026 as well...telling me I needed to
get it and install it. This happens several times a day
and has been going on for several days now. (It does not
give me the option of saying no I don't want it. It only
gives me the option of getting it now or waiting..then it
continues to pop up reminding me I am waiting.)

I went into my Windows Media Player to try and stop this;
but I find no way of doing so. I went into my START >
accessories > systems in another attempt to find a way to
stop this; but could not find a way to stop it. (All I
found here was a way to "add" a scheduled event...not stop
one.)

I am posting here in hopes someone can give me some
guidance in this matter. Thanking you in advance...Jodie

After some checking, I found an article that says the cause might be that the update was not registered correctly, and to resolve the issue, reinstall the update.
Read the article for full details and warnings,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319109&Product=winxp

"Jodie" wrote:

> Hello, I use Windows XP with Pentium IV and loads of
> memory. I have been getting "automatic" updates. I can
> find no way to change this to something I can control.
>
> Here is the problem with it and why I want it more under
> my control.
>
> I received the tiny world icon in my systray a few days
> ago telling me windows media player had a "critical"
> update I needed. It was "Script Commands KB828026". I
> downloaded it; installed it; and rebooted according to
> instructions. Since that time I have been getting the
> same icon with the exact same message...word for word the
> same with number KB828026 as well...telling me I needed to
> get it and install it. This happens several times a day
> and has been going on for several days now. (It does not
> give me the option of saying no I don't want it. It only
> gives me the option of getting it now or waiting..then it
> continues to pop up reminding me I am waiting.)
>
> I went into my Windows Media Player to try and stop this;
> but I find no way of doing so. I went into my START >
> accessories > systems in another attempt to find a way to
> stop this; but could not find a way to stop it. (All I
> found here was a way to "add" a scheduled event...not stop
> one.)
>
> I am posting here in hopes someone can give me some
> guidance in this matter. Thanking you in advance...Jodie

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Jodie Wrote:
> Hello, I use Windows XP with Pentium IV and loads of
> memory. I have been getting "automatic" updates. I can
> find no way to change this to something I can control.
>
> Here is the problem with it and why I want it more under
> my control.
>
> I received the tiny world icon in my systray a few days
> ago telling me windows media player had a "critical"
> update I needed. It was "Script Commands KB828026". I
> downloaded it; installed it; and rebooted according to
> instructions. Since that time I have been getting the
> same icon with the exact same message...word for word the
> same with number KB828026 as well...telling me I needed to
> get it and install it. This happens several times a day
> and has been going on for several days now. (It does not
> give me the option of saying no I don't want it. It only
> gives me the option of getting it now or waiting..then it
> continues to pop up reminding me I am waiting.)
>
> I went into my Windows Media Player to try and stop this;
> but I find no way of doing so. I went into my START
> accessories systems in another attempt to find a way to
> stop this; but could not find a way to stop it. (All I
> found here was a way to "add" a scheduled event...not stop
> one.)
>
> I am posting here in hopes someone can give me some
> guidance in this matter. Thanking you in advance...Jodie Try going to control panel left click.you will see automatic
updates..Unclick that function..

--
Nick

nick