KT3 Ultra2 Mobo stability

twanto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
I have this mobo and just built my system around it. Occasionally my system will lock up when using Warcraft 3. I have the latest video drivers, and all other drivers I think are up to date. My video card is a MSI GF4 4200 64mb. I had the settings pushed to the maximum quality. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the lock-ups and how I could fix it? Thanks.

Wrayver

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
I have a MSI KT3 Ultra mobo and a GF4200 (Leadtek) . and yea i have the same problem .. Ill tell you what it is .. The Ge Force 4's are sucking up too much power from the AGP port , or your voltage is set wrong for the AGP.. I still havtn fixed mine coz It would farkin lock up every 5 minutes... even when im not in a game .. just on desktop .. Iv had to switch to an old Ge Force 2 MX 200, just so i can use my PC again ... un-fortuinatly , the only sugestion i have for now is new mobo, unless someone can tell me a voltage setting that I can manually set for the AGP port ?...

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I'm thinking it's the PSU prob. What have you 2 guys got?

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

rmaclean

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I have the KT3Ultra2 with Athalon XP 2000+, 512MB Corsair CL2 PC-2700, and PNY GeForce4 4400. I'm using a pair of Maxtor ATA 133 40GB drives on the RAID controller (RAID 0 striping).

The BIOS settings are at SPD (default).

It's been running three weeks and is completely stable.

I'm happy with all aspects of the configuration, excepting the memory bandwidth - there is NO performance difference over PC-2100 DDR 266.

twanto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
Well my stability problems have certainly decreased. My computer crashed once since I changed some of the bios settings. Not exactly sure what I did. I did load the performace defaults and tweak from there. Perhaps that gave me more power? I don't know. So far though, things seem to be working pretty good. I can tell you that the PSU is something that came with the box from ebay. It is 400W. Also, the ONLY time I have ever had ANY lock up is when I was running warcraft 3. Ecoding divx, playing comanche or aqaunox, etc. it has never locked up. Like I said, after I changed a few bios settings it only locked up once (today actually) in the few days since it was "tweaked" and that was in WC3. Also, if you are running your mobo at default settings this means your athlon xp 2000+ is only at 100 FSB, factory default. It should be at 133.

twanto

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hmmm... have to got a cracked version of WCIII? That could be why.... :tongue:

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

Wrayver

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2002
Not much i can say except mine locks up all the time anytime ... When a screensaver starts .. or just on the web .. And dont even think about playin games.. Its Fux0r3d . and im pretty annoyed.. Iv tried everything, and I even admitted defeat and took it to the shop where i bought the parts.. And when they couldnt figure it out, all they said was my waruntee was void coz i installed it all myself.. (Cheap bastards) .

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Wrayver on 09/09/02 09:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>