Boot from 2 discs

I have installed XP on my C drive and also on my second hard drive, for games etc, to keep them separate. However I am not getting an option to boot into my D drive at start up. I have read all about dual booting in the articles and it does not seem to either apply or make sense to a novice. Can someonse please help or do i need something like OSL boot that I had when i was running 98SE?
8 answers Last reply
More about boot discs

    7/24/2004 9:44:02 AM

    ba'heid <ba'heid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    <8F677130-0734-44A5-881F-FF984405B0F1@microsoft.com>

    > I have installed XP on my C drive and also on my second hard drive,
    for games etc, to keep them separate. However I am not getting an
    option to boot into my D drive at start up. I have read all about
    dual booting in the articles and it does not seem to either apply or
    make sense to a novice. Can someonse please help or do i need
    something like OSL boot that I had when i was running 98SE?

    I would say the problem stems from Windows only allowing one bootable
    partition. You probably need some type of multi-OS booting software
    to make this work (ie System Commander from VCOM (http://www.v-com.
    com)).

    If someone else knows how to do this without software, then I will
    stand corrected...

    Hope this helps!

    Hi, ba'heid.

    There are two ways to set up dual-boot: the Microsoft way and the
    third-party boot manager way. I know nothing about third-party solutions,
    but I've been using the MS way for several years, with varying combinations
    of Windows versions, hard drives and partitions, so that's what I will
    discuss.

    No matter how many HDs you use or how many partitions, Windows always starts
    the boot from the Root of the System Partition, which is almost always the
    first primary partition on the first physical drive, which must be Active
    (bootable). This is almost always C:\. The NT-style boot sector for this
    partition loads C:\NTLDR, which reads C:\boot.ini to locate the various
    copies of Windows on your computer's drives, and then C:\NTDETECT.COM finds
    the copy you've chosen, loads it and starts it running.

    Each installation of Windows creates is own "boot folder" (\Windows, by
    default) on whichever volume (primary partition or logical drive) you choose
    on any HD in your computer. Setup creates (or updates) C:\boot.ini to point
    to that location (using HD and partition NUMBERS, not LETTERS).

    So, your computer will always start in C:\, but will branch from there to
    D:\Windows (or X:\Windows in the 3rd partition of your second HD - or
    wherever you choose) and load and run Win98 or the second (or 5th) copy of
    WinXP from there.

    No third-party solutions are needed, unless you choose to use a different
    system.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    >I have installed XP on my C drive and also on my second hard drive, for
    >games etc, to keep them separate. However I am not getting an option to
    >boot into my D drive at start up. I have read all about dual booting in
    >the articles and it does not seem to either apply or make sense to a
    >novice. Can someonse please help or do i need something like OSL boot that
    >I had when i was running 98SE?

    Thanks Robert this is what I thought.

    ba'heid
    "Robert Smith" wrote:

    > 7/24/2004 9:44:02 AM
    >
    > ba'heid <ba'heid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    > <8F677130-0734-44A5-881F-FF984405B0F1@microsoft.com>
    >

    > > I have installed XP on my C drive and also on my second hard drive,
    > for games etc, to keep them separate. However I am not getting an
    > option to boot into my D drive at start up. I have read all about
    > dual booting in the articles and it does not seem to either apply or
    > make sense to a novice. Can someonse please help or do i need
    > something like OSL boot that I had when i was running 98SE?
    >

    > I would say the problem stems from Windows only allowing one bootable
    > partition. You probably need some type of multi-OS booting software
    > to make this work (ie System Commander from VCOM (http://www.v-com.
    > com)).
    >
    > If someone else knows how to do this without software, then I will
    > stand corrected...
    >
    > Hope this helps!

    Thanks

    I can see the D drive in explorer but i can't run window xp from there. Your reply would seem to indicate that i should. Can you tell me how to do it?

    TIA

    ba'heid

    "R. C. White" wrote:

    > Hi, ba'heid.
    >
    > There are two ways to set up dual-boot: the Microsoft way and the
    > third-party boot manager way. I know nothing about third-party solutions,
    > but I've been using the MS way for several years, with varying combinations
    > of Windows versions, hard drives and partitions, so that's what I will
    > discuss.
    >
    > No matter how many HDs you use or how many partitions, Windows always starts
    > the boot from the Root of the System Partition, which is almost always the
    > first primary partition on the first physical drive, which must be Active
    > (bootable). This is almost always C:\. The NT-style boot sector for this
    > partition loads C:\NTLDR, which reads C:\boot.ini to locate the various
    > copies of Windows on your computer's drives, and then C:\NTDETECT.COM finds
    > the copy you've chosen, loads it and starts it running.
    >
    > Each installation of Windows creates is own "boot folder" (\Windows, by
    > default) on whichever volume (primary partition or logical drive) you choose
    > on any HD in your computer. Setup creates (or updates) C:\boot.ini to point
    > to that location (using HD and partition NUMBERS, not LETTERS).
    >
    > So, your computer will always start in C:\, but will branch from there to
    > D:\Windows (or X:\Windows in the 3rd partition of your second HD - or
    > wherever you choose) and load and run Win98 or the second (or 5th) copy of
    > WinXP from there.
    >
    > No third-party solutions are needed, unless you choose to use a different
    > system.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > rc@corridor.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "ba'heid" <ba'heid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have installed XP on my C drive and also on my second hard drive, for
    > >games etc, to keep them separate. However I am not getting an option to
    > >boot into my D drive at start up. I have read all about dual booting in
    > >the articles and it does not seem to either apply or make sense to a
    > >novice. Can someonse please help or do i need something like OSL boot that
    > >I had when i was running 98SE?

    Hi, ba'heid.

    No, you can't switch between Windows installations without rebooting. WinXP
    is not a program that runs within a second WinXP; it's another operating
    system and can be used only by booting into it.

    When you boot into WinXP on C:, you can use D: for applications and data,
    just like you can use E: or X: or any other volume. And when you boot into
    WinXP on D:, you can use C: as a data drive. When you are booted into C:,
    the C:\Windows folder is your "boot folder", but D:\Windows is "just another
    folder". Each WinXP installation is independent of the other, but each can
    access the files on all drives. Unless, of course, you, as Administrator,
    restrict the use of files and folders by using permissions and policies.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    > Thanks
    >
    > I can see the D drive in explorer but i can't run window xp from there.
    > Your reply would seem to indicate that i should. Can you tell me how to
    > do it?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > ba'heid
    >
    > "R. C. White" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, ba'heid.
    >>
    >> There are two ways to set up dual-boot: the Microsoft way and the
    >> third-party boot manager way. I know nothing about third-party
    >> solutions,
    >> but I've been using the MS way for several years, with varying
    >> combinations
    >> of Windows versions, hard drives and partitions, so that's what I will
    >> discuss.
    >>
    >> No matter how many HDs you use or how many partitions, Windows always
    >> starts
    >> the boot from the Root of the System Partition, which is almost always
    >> the
    >> first primary partition on the first physical drive, which must be Active
    >> (bootable). This is almost always C:\. The NT-style boot sector for
    >> this
    >> partition loads C:\NTLDR, which reads C:\boot.ini to locate the various
    >> copies of Windows on your computer's drives, and then C:\NTDETECT.COM
    >> finds
    >> the copy you've chosen, loads it and starts it running.
    >>
    >> Each installation of Windows creates is own "boot folder" (\Windows, by
    >> default) on whichever volume (primary partition or logical drive) you
    >> choose
    >> on any HD in your computer. Setup creates (or updates) C:\boot.ini to
    >> point
    >> to that location (using HD and partition NUMBERS, not LETTERS).
    >>
    >> So, your computer will always start in C:\, but will branch from there to
    >> D:\Windows (or X:\Windows in the 3rd partition of your second HD - or
    >> wherever you choose) and load and run Win98 or the second (or 5th) copy
    >> of
    >> WinXP from there.
    >>
    >> No third-party solutions are needed, unless you choose to use a different
    >> system.
    >>
    >> RC
    >>
    >> "ba'heid" <ba'heid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have installed XP on my C drive and also on my second hard drive, for
    >> >games etc, to keep them separate. However I am not getting an option to
    >> >boot into my D drive at start up. I have read all about dual booting in
    >> >the articles and it does not seem to either apply or make sense to a
    >> >novice. Can someonse please help or do i need something like OSL boot
    >> >that
    >> >I had when i was running 98SE?

    Post your C:\boot.ini

    Is this a real second hard drive or a partition.
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "ba'heid" <ba'heid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F677130-0734-44A5-881F-FF984405B0F1@microsoft.com...
    > I have installed XP on my C drive and also on my second hard drive, for games etc, to keep them separate. However I am not getting an option to boot into my D drive at start up. I have read all about dual booting in the articles and it does not seem to either apply or make sense to a novice. Can someonse please help or do i need something like OSL boot that I had when i was running 98SE?

    David

    it is an actual 2nd hard drive and not a partition.

    ba'heid

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Post your C:\boot.ini
    >
    > Is this a real second hard drive or a partition.
    > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
    > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
    >
    > "ba'heid" <ba'heid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F677130-0734-44A5-881F-FF984405B0F1@microsoft.com...
    > > I have installed XP on my C drive and also on my second hard drive, for games etc, to keep them separate. However I am not getting an option to boot into my D drive at start up. I have read all about dual booting in the articles and it does not seem to either apply or make sense to a novice. Can someonse please help or do i need something like OSL boot that I had when i was running 98SE?

    Where's your C:\boot.ini

    "ba'heid" <baheid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E88854B-99E5-49A7-9F66-04CEFEFE6C1C@microsoft.com...
    > David
    >
    > it is an actual 2nd hard drive and not a partition.
    >
    > ba'heid
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    > > Post your C:\boot.ini
    > >
    > > Is this a real second hard drive or a partition.
    > > --
    > > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
    > > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
    > >
    > > "ba'heid" <ba'heid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F677130-0734-44A5-881F-FF984405B0F1@microsoft.com...
    > > > I have installed XP on my C drive and also on my second hard drive, for games etc, to keep them separate. However I am not getting an option to boot into my D drive at start up. I have read all about dual booting in the articles and it does not seem to either apply or make sense to a novice. Can someonse please help or do i need something like OSL boot that I had when i was running 98SE?

Boot Windows XP