palen12

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2002
has anyone had a problem with the volcano 7+ on a gigabyte 7vrxp ver2.0 board? i cant get mine to post. Ive tested all componets on other boards and they work. here is what i have

xp2200+
gigabyte 7vrxp+
512 geil ram, ddr333 cas2.0 1T
MSI geforce4 ti4400 ver1.0

also should there be an led on the board on if thereis power form the atx but not turned on, and then change collor when the power is turned on? I sent the Mobo back once and the retailer (www.fticompuer.com) siad it works for them, ive tried under clocking, short of trying to get somone to let me try there cpu i cant get it to do anything, it wont even beep, any one know the beep codes for gigabyte?

theprofessional

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
I have pretty much the same setup. Gigabyte 7vrxp (v2.0), volcano 7+, Gainward Ultra 650TV 64mb, AMD 2200+, Corsair XMS 512 2700. With all the talk about the bad Gigabyte boards, I was nervous, but it had everything that I wanted. When I learned of the version 2.0 boards, my mind eased a little. I have one current problem with the stability of the graphics card (which I've posted in the TV/Video forum). There is an amber light in the middle of the board that should be on when the power is up, but I'm not so sure it should be on all the time. Do you have the version 2.0 board? If you haven't done the obvious - check all your connections - do that first. The fan should be connected to the CPU_FAN connector, and after the switch comes the power connector and the other piece to the SYS_FAN connector. The SYS_FAN is the temp monitoring connection. On the Volcano 7+, I beleive it is orange/brown in color. Hope this helps. The Thermaltake documentation is weak, and the website is nothing to be proud of in terms of help. Try these things, and let me know. I'll open up my case if necessary to help.

palen12

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2002
It is the ver 2.0, and i woudl like to kwno about that LED if you could, did you say that the sys_fan conector is the real fan speed sensor? or should the sensor go on the cpu_fan and plug power into the power suply. do you know what would happen if the fan speed sensor was bad? also did you ahve to override any type of thermal protection to be able to get it to post. and does it require a keyboard and mouse to be conected to post (heard taht some ware)

theprofessional

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
The CPU_FAN connector should be white and the SYS_FAN is brown (both have yellow wires, the wire for the CPU_FAN comes out of the fan itself, while the SYS_FAN comes from the fan speed selector box. Mine is set to medium). Make sure they are connected to the appropriate slots to the upper right corner of the ZIF socket. The LED is to the right side of the DIMM slots (it is amber in color while system is running) above the IDE 0 and 1 slots. Are you using thermal grease or thermal pads? Are all the mobo jumpers set to the default positions? I read that sometimes the mfg does not reset them properly after testing. I would at least connect the keyboard to see if you can get into the bios. Then set bios to the safe defaults. I don't know about the bad connector. That could be the problem.