PLEASE HELP ME. 11:42 PM
I upgraded to Win "XP pro" from "Win Home" tonight. Now I can't get my scanner or my printer to work? I can't even get the driver programs to load into the PC.
I'll start from the beginning to help you guys help me.
1. I was given Win XP Pro from a friend at work. (so nobody gets confused, this is a legit copy! I have the actual box it came in but the disk itself is a copy)
2. I installed the program but at about 30 minutes into the install I get this error... (I don't know if this is important)
UNREGMP2.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL
3. I tried clicking OK but the error would not go away even if the "X" was clicked.
4. I shut my PC off during the install because it got stuck on this error.
5. I turned the PC back on and the install continued as if nothing happened.
6. When Win XP Pro loaded up, a message said that "Easy CD Creator 4 will not run and will need to be reinstalled. Click OK"
7. Other than that, Win XP looks and acted fine so I thought it was OK. I can surf the web and play games and everything and it looks normal to me.
8. Then a few hours later I tried to use my scanner... An error message appeared saying "Scanner Not Found. Click OK"
9. Assuming there was a driver problem I uninstalled the scanner and then tried to reinstall the driver.
10. When I tried to load the driver CD for the scanner and error pops up saying, "Scanner not supported, click OK to exit this program"??? Why would it say that because nothing has changed? I unplugged the scanner, retarted the PC in various combinations a few times and it still says that?
11. Worried that other similar devices would not work, I tried the Printer. The printer has a print job in que but does not print. I tried to install the printer driver off the CD and this pops up, "This driver is not supported on Windows 2000"?? HUH? This is getting stanger all the time.
I am beginning to think that there was something wrong with the Win XP Pro CD I used. The guy who gave it to me is trustworthy so he definately did not do this intentionally if that is the case. I tried to intall this Win XP Pro on my Grandfathers PC a few days ago and a entirely different set of problems appeared. Last month however, when I installed this on my Laptop, not a single problem or error at all??? How can the first install work and the other 2 mess up?
Is there any way I can revert back to Windows Home using system restore? (I doubt that would work)
Is there a way I can maybe add that UNREGMP2.exe thing that showed up missing during the install and locked up my computer? (or would that even be causing the problems I am having?)
Please help me out. Thanks.
Update: 11:52 PM
I went to the HP website and was able to download the drivers successfully. But, when I tried to install the program, the PC could not locate the Printer or the scanner plugged in. It was like the USB and Serial ports were shut off?
THIS IS A LEGIT COPY. I HAVE THE BOX WITH THE SERIAL NUMBER AND EVERYTHING.
I also did a search in my PC for that UNREGMP2.exe and I found that it was in my PC so I don't know why I was getting that error.
You may have had a scratch on your disk, this can cause these kind of problems. There may have been an issue with XP Home that you didn't know and it was exposed by XP Pro. On your desktop go to "my computer,right click, properties,hardware, device manager. Does usb controler have a yellow mark on it? I bet it does. I think you need usb drivers, then install device drivers for your printer and scanner. You may need to install service pack 1 from microsoft updates to get your usb working. If you have internet available (I hope you have high speed) download SP1 and all the updates. I warn you this is 4-500 MB's in downloads and several reboots to complete. If you use dial up, it will take about 24 hours or get the cd from microsoft.
OK, I had to buy a brand new copy of Win XP Pro for $175 and now everything works fine.
Thanks for the help everyone. The problem was that Microsoft no longer tells you that the registry code you are using has been installed on more than 3 PCs... They just screw up random things and drivers on your PC.