Counter Strike Source fps help

orochikid

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
Hey guys, I dont know much about cpus so you guys are just gonna have to treat me like a noob XD. Anyways my problem with css is the fps is very low. Some people say that there fps is like 30 or something but mines is way worst. I do beleive my fps used to do much more better like a year ago when i played css. But now with the same cpu it went horribly lower. Some peope say my cpu is old, some say there update made it lower. Iunoo, maybe i needa reboot it or buy more ram. My fps goes as low 11 or 9 or even 1 at times where u cant even move for a sec. When i join maps like ice world it'll be an average of 20 which is so far good for me. When the server has like 20 people than it goes way down. I use to be able to play on servers with 50-60 people and let it run smoothly. Any ways heres my cpu stats. Ill just put down what i know.

Video card: radeon 9800 pro
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
3.00 GHz. 1.00gb of RAM

Please help me guys i__i

randomizer

Champion
That system is more than capable of running css. Granted the hardware is dated a little, but so is the game. Honestly I dont know how you play the game with <50fps, but good on you for being able to ;) What graphic settings do you run at?

orochikid

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
will the Catalyst 7.4 help?? What do i do, just dl it and install it and my fps should automatically go up?? Not to rush you or anything but i got a scrim with another clan on monday lol. But i am currently dling it and ill see if it helps or not. Even though i dunno what to do with it when im done.
Plus when i do the video stress test in cs it comes out with an average of 50 fps but when i do it again it lowers to like 47. And when i play i get an average of 20, 30 when im lucky, 50-60 when its 1 on 1 or 2 on 2.

overlandpark4me

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I'm running CSS with a 2.53 P4, 6600GT, and gig of crap ram. I get in the 70-80's in the worst fps maps and 90's plus on the smaller maps, running 1024x768 with a mix of medium and high setting, along with some basic AA added in. Something that was an issue for me were some programs that were bogging the game down while I was playing. A spyware (Counterspy) program running was one of them, so you might want to shut down some "active monitoring" software and see if it helps. Also, my kid had me turn off explorer after X-Fire and CSS were running, which also improved my FPS in game, then alt tab in and out of the apps you need during game play. when you're done, turn explorer back on of course.

Something else that will help is to get a decent config that helps in the area you are looking to improve. I have one you can try that is ok in the Cal/Cevo arena.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Owen

wouse101

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
9800pro. i had one of those, update the drivers, i did and things went a little smoother, could play MOHAA really easily, but once i put DOOM3 on things got a little slow.

CSS should run on the lowest settings with that card and you have MORE than enough RAM. There are sites out there that can help you get your FPS up a little, but it involves enabling the the developer console.

For example, you can remove things like the rubbish, debris and particles in the levels that can fly around from the developer console, that should mean your GPU and CPU have less to process and concentrate more on the other things.

I don't know the commands exactly so google the subject or mess around with the console, it usually list commands if you type /help in the console, but sometimes pre-empts you you if you type the first few letters of the command and scroll down the list.

all else fails get rid of any lighting effects (HDR off) and particles.

either that or dig deep for a new card. :D

LOSTkid

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Hi i got css on my dads new pc but i i got a good internet but im not sure of the pc stuff so heres my stuff and tell me if its good enough to play css or if u know wats rong.

processor:Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80 GHz 2.79 GHz
Memory(RAM):1014

Hope you can help.

wouse101

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
graphics card?

onboard graphics is gonna struggle if your playing it without a graphics card.

you processors ok and RAM's a plenty, by the way, you got 1014MB wheres the other 10 MB? :? for 1GB it should be 1024MB. not that it matters.

but yeh post up what your graphics card is, to check this do the following:

start-->run-->type "dxdiag"--> click yes if the popup window comes up-->click the display tab and you should be able to see whats driving your graphics.

LOSTkid

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
wat i called ill say wat i think it is.LOL.

main driver:igdumd32.dll
chip type:Intel(R) 82945g exspress chipest family
current display mode:1024x768 (32 bit) (75hz)

all direct x features endabled

wouse101

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
the amount you spend on RAM could be saved up towards a New graphics card.

pick one that'll suit your computer, just make sure that you get the right slot type, If you mobo has a x8AGP slot, then look for AGP cards, and if its PCI-E then look for a PCI-E one. pretty simple :D

just find one, save up and buy it, hell you could probably get a second hand one off ebay, I'll be putting up my 6800GS's once i get me 8800GS's.

If your using onboard graphics, your going to get nowhere and NO AMOUNT of RAM is going to improve graphics performance with OBG.

but if you need help chosing which card to get, then look at the hardware guides.

HDDFreak

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
To the OP, how many bots are you running (if any). On my system, if I run any more that 12bots (stock CPU) or 14(oc'd) I get horrific FPS (below 20 in intense fights). Thats only running @ 1024x768 with 4xAA & 8xAF. My system is fully optimized, with the latest drivers and is regularly defragged.
Just some food for thought, unless I have a problem too! :twisted:

mrquin27

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
somethings wrong with your software my old pc is a p4 2.4ghz with 768mb of ram and a 9700pro and it runs CSS perfect on high settings.

orochikid

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
I think i already talked about that lol. Something probably is wrong with my computer. And to the new video card, I have a radeon 9800 pro. I know its like 3-4 years old but it should be able to handle Css pretty fine. Maybe i do need to reformat. Will defragging really help my computer? As in helping i mean bring my fps up by like 30-40.

cslags

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
I have a similar problem. I play counterstrike source and it has worked perfectly for the longest time, until now. My fps went from being 100 constant to 9 and i cant figure out why. I've tried updating my drivers, putting in a different graphics card and reformatting.

specs:
Video card: nvidia 6800 gt
Intel(R)Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
2 sticks of 512 ram *1 gig total

DeCaff2006

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
WOW, orochikid, maybe first you should learn a bit more about computers and how they work before you go complaining that you don't have a killer fps rate on a rig that can EASILY run CS:S.

Ok now that my rant is over, I'd suggest defraging the hard drive and if that doesn't work, reformat.

It's an easy (free) fix for a slow, aging rig.

orochikid

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
WOW, decaff maybe you should learn to read cause i think i already said that i was new to the whole computer thing. It's the first sentence i wrote in this subject.