Mouse applet does not work

In the control panel, I can access every item except the mouse properties. I get the following error:

An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\WINDOWS\System32\main.cpl",Mouse"

I have Windows XP SP1 on an IBM Thinkpad T30, and use a Logitech optical wiireless scroll mouse.

Double clicking the main.cpl file in C:\Windows\System32 also produces the same error.
Same result with running "Control main.cpl" from Start --> Run

I uninstalled the mouse and reinstalled it without any success. The mouse works fine, scrolling is fine. Its just that I cannot get to the mouse properties.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
--
Merlin

PS: For some reason I cannot find the control.ini file on my system, though I have the search option to display hidden and system files and folders.
2 answers Last reply
More about mouse applet work

    Hi,

    Have you tried replacing the mouse applet? Start/run msconfig, click on
    "expand file" (general tab)

    File to expand: main.cpl
    From: X:\I386
    To: C:\Windows\system32

    Where X is whatever letter is assigned your CD drive (you need your WinXP CD
    for this), change it accordingly. If your system was preinstalled, you may
    find this instead on the hard drive under C:\Windows\I386. If so, change the
    "from" line accordingly. This assumes a default installation to C:\Windows.
    If your installation is in a different folder, such as C:\Winnt, change the
    "To" path accordingly. Reboot when finished.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "GeeWiz" <GeeWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In the control panel, I can access every item except the mouse properties.
    I get the following error:

    > An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
    "C:\WINDOWS\System32\main.cpl",Mouse"

    > I have Windows XP SP1 on an IBM Thinkpad T30, and use a Logitech optical
    wiireless scroll mouse.

    > Double clicking the main.cpl file in C:\Windows\System32 also produces the
    same error.
    > Same result with running "Control main.cpl" from Start --> Run
    >
    > I uninstalled the mouse and reinstalled it without any success. The mouse
    works fine, scrolling is fine. Its just that I cannot get to the mouse
    properties.

    > Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
    > --
    > Merlin
    >
    > PS: For some reason I cannot find the control.ini file on my system,
    though I have the search option to display hidden and system files and
    folders.

    Thanks for the suggestion, but no cigar.

    I followed your instructions to replace the applet from msconfig. My system has the Win XP Pro preinstalled in C:\I386, but there is no main.cpl in that directory. It does however have main.cp_ which I renamed and expanded to the C:\Windows\system32. It may have replaced the file in a flash, since I did not observe any activity. On clicking ok, it asked me to restart the computer, which I did, but the problem did not go away.

    Maybe the main.cpl is located somewhere else??

    Merlin

Control Panel Mice System32 Windows XP