After having a major virus attack, I had to re-install
WinXP Pro. All my programs are still on the hard disk,
but they don't show up under the /Start/Programs tab.

How can I access these programs without re-installing all
the programs from their original disks?

Thank you,

Becky Harris

If these program were standalone exe's, you'd have no problem. But, the
installation writes registry entries indicating dlls and so forth in
relation to the programs, and much more for the programs to work.

The prudent thing to do is use caution on the internet, even if you have a
AV program and firewall and bugcleaner. Same with email. Same thing with
software installs. Backup your entire system on regular basis (not the
local backup program used in XP). Keep your personal files on separate
partition, backup too.
"Becky Harris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After having a major virus attack, I had to re-install
> WinXP Pro. All my programs are still on the hard disk,
> but they don't show up under the /Start/Programs tab.
>
> How can I access these programs without re-installing all
> the programs from their original disks?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Becky Harris

Hi Becky,

If you reinstalled, rather than doing a repair install, then your programs
will need to be reinstalled from the original installation media. This is
because those programs rely on system registry entries and files placed in
system folders to operate correctly. Until you install the software under
the current installation, those things will not exist.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone