Folder Views Keep Changing

I'm new to Win XP and find this problem to be a growing mystery. I
have a series of folders I keep on the desktop that I have set with
"Icons" view and selected "remember foldr settings." For other
folders, like in Windows Explorer, I prefer to use "Details". I have
NOT clicked on "Apply to All Folders" but it seems that whenever I
open Windows Explorer that I lose my "Icons" setting in the desktop
folders.

Now I never had trouble with this on my older Win 98 systems and all I
can find for XP is that if I want to keep the view for a folder I
should select the "remember folder setting" option, which I have done.

What am I doing wrong?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Bob Foss" <rfoss1@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message news:alp7g0to4pgupccj5h0sc05uid6rb8kad9@4ax.com...
> I'm new to Win XP and find this problem to be a growing mystery. I
> have a series of folders I keep on the desktop that I have set with
> "Icons" view and selected "remember foldr settings." For other
> folders, like in Windows Explorer, I prefer to use "Details". I have
> NOT clicked on "Apply to All Folders" but it seems that whenever I
> open Windows Explorer that I lose my "Icons" setting in the desktop
> folders.
>
> Now I never had trouble with this on my older Win 98 systems and all I
> can find for XP is that if I want to keep the view for a folder I
> should select the "remember folder setting" option, which I have done.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

In Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab, is the box "Remember each folder's view settings" checked? If not, check it, and report back.

Hi

View settings are limited to 400. Try the following link to increase those settings to 8000:

Line 2 - left hand side

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Bob Foss" <rfoss1@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message news:alp7g0to4pgupccj5h0sc05uid6rb8kad9@4ax.com...
> I'm new to Win XP and find this problem to be a growing mystery. I
> have a series of folders I keep on the desktop that I have set with
> "Icons" view and selected "remember foldr settings." For other
> folders, like in Windows Explorer, I prefer to use "Details". I have
> NOT clicked on "Apply to All Folders" but it seems that whenever I
> open Windows Explorer that I lose my "Icons" setting in the desktop
> folders.
>
> Now I never had trouble with this on my older Win 98 systems and all I
> can find for XP is that if I want to keep the view for a folder I
> should select the "remember folder setting" option, which I have done.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Yes, the check box is checked. When I went to the Control Panels even
that folder had changed from icons (which I thought was the default)
to "details."

What else??

Bob

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:44:42 -0400, "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote:

>"Bob Foss" <rfoss1@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message news:alp7g0to4pgupccj5h0sc05uid6rb8kad9@4ax.com...
>> I'm new to Win XP and find this problem to be a growing mystery. I
>> have a series of folders I keep on the desktop that I have set with
>> "Icons" view and selected "remember foldr settings." For other
>> folders, like in Windows Explorer, I prefer to use "Details". I have
>> NOT clicked on "Apply to All Folders" but it seems that whenever I
>> open Windows Explorer that I lose my "Icons" setting in the desktop
>> folders.
>>
>> Now I never had trouble with this on my older Win 98 systems and all I
>> can find for XP is that if I want to keep the view for a folder I
>> should select the "remember folder setting" option, which I have done.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>
>In Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab, is the box "Remember each folder's view settings" checked? If not, check it, and report back.

I have not set views for anywhere near 400 folders, maybe 30 or 40
tops. Are you saying all I need to do is double click the
"bags8000.reg" file and it will revise my registry to increase the
number of file views? It won't mess anything up, right. I really don't
need to have to reinstall everything. (not real comfortable messing
with the registry)

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:53:49 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>View settings are limited to 400. Try the following link to increase those settings to 8000:
>
>Line 2 - left hand side
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Hi

Yes - double-click the .REG file. You may like to have a look at the directions for the .REG at the top of Kelly's web page:

"Bob Foss" <rfoss1@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message news:crf8g01k2q89klusj63rm35lqdd33r3p0i@4ax.com...
>I have not set views for anywhere near 400 folders, maybe 30 or 40
> tops. Are you saying all I need to do is double click the
> "bags8000.reg" file and it will revise my registry to increase the
> number of file views? It won't mess anything up, right. I really don't
> need to have to reinstall everything. (not real comfortable messing
> with the registry)
>
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 18:53:49 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>View settings are limited to 400. Try the following link to increase those settings to 8000:
>>
>>Line 2 - left hand side
>>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Ok, Will, I'll give it a try. My fingers are crossed.

Thanks (I hope)

Mon, 26 Jul 2004 00:34:00 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>Yes - double-click the .REG file. You may like to have a look at the directions for the .REG at the top of Kelly's web page:
>
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

HELP!!

I followed the instructions then restarted windows. But got the
following error when trying to open ANY folder including Windows
Explorer, My Documents, whatever:

"The instruction at "0x771cb461" referenced memory at "x0000003f." The
memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program."

Clicking ok causes all icons on the desktop to disappear for 3 or 4
seconds. The numbers in the message are different depending upon the
folder being accessed.

I rebooted and tried to start with the last good try but it did not
help.

Please help me fix this. I'd rather have my old problem back.

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 00:34:00 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>Yes - double-click the .REG file. You may like to have a look at the directions for the .REG at the top of Kelly's web page:
>
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Hi

It does work OK.