Some of you folks recognize me from my posts on various newsgroups. I am a
technician with "Geeks On Call". I have been performing IT support for about
10 years now. Nearly two-thirds of my service calls deal with spyware and
viruses. Although there are numerous articles concerning this issue, many
users do not care to read them. They are like me when it comes to my car: If
it starts in the morning, I do not care how it runs. But what you do not
know will hurt you in the end.

Jerry Honeycutt, MS Expert Zone Columnist states,
"As if spam, viruses, and worms aren't bad enough. Adware and spyware are
here to sap the remaining life out of your productivity and privacy. Cookies
are harmless in comparison!

Adware is software that displays advertisements on your computer. These are
ads that inexplicably pop up on your display screen, even if you're not
browsing the Internet. Some companies provide "free" software in exchange
for advertising on your display. It's how they make their money.

Spyware is software that sends your personal information to a third party
without your permission or knowledge. This can include information about Web
sites you visit or something more sensitive like your user name and
password. Unscrupulous companies often use this data to send you unsolicited
targeted advertisements."

Now I am sure all of you have heard about spyware removal tools such as
SpyBot, Ad-Aware, Pest Patrol, and spyware blocking programs like SpyWare
Blaster. I ran all four programs on my PC and have had zero instances of
spyware in over a year. The problem occurs when the users of these programs
forget to update the spyware definitions for these programs. Spyware is very
similair to viruses in that new spyware is being developed and redesigned
everyday. If you do not up-to-date definitions, you cannot counter them.

When running any of these programs (with the exception of SpyWare Blaster)
it is a good idea to do this in Safe Mode. Spyware loves to load itself into
memory.

A majority of the spyware / viruses cases I see deal with file sharing
programs like Kazaa. This program in particuliar has cost my clients a lot
of money. I have removed as many as 4,000 articles of spyware and 39 viruses
off one PC.

Anyway, I hope that this helps you out. If you have any questions or
comments, please fill free to post them and I will help out in any way I
can.

--
Best of luck!

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

Hi

These News Groups are for users who want to ask questions about any problems they may be having with XP. I can't see a question regarding a problem in your posting.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Will Denny wrote:

> Hi
>
> These News Groups are for users who want to ask questions about any problems they may be having with XP. I can't see a question regarding a problem in your posting.

Still, the issues need to be addressed and way too much
bandwidth is being spent by users inquirying at how to
remove the "annoyance of the week", such as the recent
Beagle worm outbreak. An occasional, healthy dose of FYI
posts will definitely not hurt. It could have been done
less obstrusively...such as by more of the MVP's, MSCE's,
etc., perhaps proactively?

On the contrary, Will. These newsgroups are not only to helps users with
their problems, it to help them avoid problems in the first place. Being an
MVP as yourself, I cannot see the validity of denying users how to avoid
such issues. My intention was not to ask a question, but to post useful
information. If the post offended your or your status, I do apologize and
was not my intention. However, as the saying goes, "An ounce of
prevention..." Well, hopefully you know the rest so should everyone else.

--
Best of luck!

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

Michael D. Alligood wrote:
> Some of you folks recognize me from my posts on various newsgroups. I am a
> technician with "Geeks On Call". I have been performing IT support for
about
> 10 years now. Nearly two-thirds of my service calls deal with spyware and
> viruses. Although there are numerous articles concerning this issue, many
> users do not care to read them. They are like me when it comes to my car:
If
> it starts in the morning, I do not care how it runs. But what you do not
> know will hurt you in the end.
<snippage>

Mistoffolees wrote:
> Still, the issues need to be addressed and way too much
> bandwidth is being spent by users inquirying at how to
> remove the "annoyance of the week", such as the recent
> Beagle worm outbreak. An occasional, healthy dose of FYI
> posts will definitely not hurt. It could have been done
> less obstrusively...such as by more of the MVP's, MSCE's,
> etc., perhaps proactively?

*sigh*
This has come up before. I have seen many of the 'proactive' type posts out
there, and usually, I am only left wondering about their impact.

*If* someone reads the 'proactive posts', then they likely searched as
well - which means they would have surely found posts such as the many by
me, explaining not only how to prevent and get rid of spyware/adware/malware
and immunize against them, but also advice on updating Windows, updating
drivers, using a firewall, spam blocker and AntiVirus applications. I
cannot imagine a search of the Microsoft Newsgroups for spyware or adware or
viruses or worms or most of the stuff we are talking about in this
discussion about 'proactive' posts NOT coming up with at least one instance
of my post or 2-3 dozen other similar responses.

The problem is, most people who come here for these types of issues are
first time visitors, inexperienced in the use of such forums or just plain
lazy. They don't read anything that is not in direct response to them -
some don't even know how to get back to their posts to check for responses.
So the chances of them ever reading the 'proactive' posts like the one above
by Michael A. is slim to none.

I cannot say for certain it does not happen. I cannot say for certain that
someone did not read his post and either emailed him for information on how
to download the applications he spoke of or they did their own search for
them using Google and found them and are using them now. (Although that
last method I have less faith in - if they could search with Google, they
might have searched Google Groups or the Microsoft groups directly for their
answer already and found the 1000's of hits on the subject.)

After seeing the number of posts that usually follow such a post in the days
following a post such as that and how many are around when a 'proactive'
post has not been made in quite some time - truthfully - I see no
statistical decrease with or without the proactive posts. I enjoy reading
them. They help me make sure that my posts (which can be considered
proactive in some ways - although they are usually a direct response to
someone) are not out of date or might be missing some key bit of information
about whatever subject that might help someone so they do not have to visit
this forum again.

As for the MVPs or MSCE's or any other particular group doing this more -
again - in my mind it wouldn't make a difference if Bill Gates posted it -
or even if the forum could read your mind and it picked the name of your
favorite person in the universe and showed the post as being from them -
most people do not seem to read anything that is not in direct response to
them - and if they do - then would have found one of many posts explaining
their delimma (usually) in excruciating detail.

I wish it helped more. I wish more people used Google and Google Groups
searching before posting on these newsgroups. I wish more people realized
that although their computer may be just a tool to them, it requires more
maintenance than just sitting on the shelf and dusting the top of it on
occasion like your television set.

I can wish all day - but I prefer helping those who ask for it - giving them
the help they need and perhaps just a little more in hopes that because I
helped them one way - they may take the further advice to heart and prevent
many other problems.

--
<- Shenan ->

Hi

No need for FAQs. There are plenty of people in the XP NGs to reply to the virus/spyware problems that occur. Firewalls - inc. 3rd party ones - are there to be used. So are anti-virus programs. The Microsoft web site has plenty of advice on it's homepage to that effect.

--

"Mistoffolees" <mistyfac01@danang.rvn> wrote in message news:O25xqincEHA.384@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> Will Denny wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> These News Groups are for users who want to ask questions about any problems they may be having with XP. I can't see a question regarding a problem in your posting.
>>

> Still, the issues need to be addressed and way too much
> bandwidth is being spent by users inquirying at how to
> remove the "annoyance of the week", such as the recent
> Beagle worm outbreak. An occasional, healthy dose of FYI
> posts will definitely not hurt. It could have been done
> less obstrusively...such as by more of the MVP's, MSCE's,
> etc., perhaps proactively?

Hi

No need for FAQs. There are plenty of people in the XP NGs to reply to the virus/spyware problems that occur. Firewalls - inc. 3rd party ones - are there to be used. So are anti-virus programs. The Microsoft web site has plenty of advice on it's homepage to that effect.

What PC suppliers ought to be doing is to educate people when they purchase a new machine to make sure that know how to use it properly!!

--

"Michael D. Alligood" <mdalligood@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:OWKtjkncEHA.384@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> very
>> similair to viruses in that new spyware is being developed and redesigned
>> everyday. If you do not up-to-date definitions, you cannot counter them.
>>
>> When running any of these programs (with the exception of SpyWare Blaster)
>> it is a good idea to do this in Safe Mode. Spyware loves to load itself
> into
>> memory.
>>
>> A majority of the spyware / viruses cases I see deal with file sharing
>> programs like Kazaa. This program in particuliar has cost my clients a lot
>> of money. I have removed as many as 4,000 articles of spyware and 39
> viruses
>> off one PC.
>>
>> Anyway, I hope that this helps you out. If you have any questions or
>> comments, please fill free to post them and I will help out in any way I

This is truly unbelievable! A person taking their time to try and help
indivduals is getting this kind of treatment (esp. from an MVP!) Will, again
not wanting to offend you, but whats your problem? My intentions was to help
educate users on spyware. Where is the harm in that?!

You are correct in the fact that Microsoft's website is where users can
educate themselves on this matter. However, the website is static in
converstation. Which is why they use the newsgroups.

--
Best of luck!

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

> [...]

>> similair to viruses in that new spyware is being developed and redesigned
>> everyday. If you do not up-to-date definitions, you cannot counter them.
>>
>> When running any of these programs (with the exception of SpyWare
Blaster)
>> it is a good idea to do this in Safe Mode. Spyware loves to load itself
> into
>> memory.
>>
>> A majority of the spyware / viruses cases I see deal with file sharing
>> programs like Kazaa. This program in particuliar has cost my clients a
lot
>> of money. I have removed as many as 4,000 articles of spyware and 39
> viruses
>> off one PC.
>>
>> Anyway, I hope that this helps you out. If you have any questions or
>> comments, please fill free to post them and I will help out in any way I

The original post does bring up two important points I never knew before and
doubt PC suppliers ever bring up;
1) these programs need updating just like antivirus programs.
2)With one exception, run in Safe Mode.
This IS important information on this subject over which a heck of a lot
more bandwidth has been wasted with criticism than the original.

Malv

Hi

No need for FAQs. There are plenty of people in the XP NGs to reply to the
virus/spyware problems that occur. Firewalls - inc. 3rd party ones - are
there to be used. So are anti-virus programs. The Microsoft web site has
plenty of advice on it's homepage to that effect.

What PC suppliers ought to be doing is to educate people when they purchase
a new machine to make sure that know how to use it properly!!

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23iERi1ncEHA.716@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

<snipped>

"What PC suppliers ought to be doing is to educate people when they purchase a new machine to make sure that know how to use it properly!!"

Yea, then we wouldn't need your help then would we? Me thinks you are here way to much for your own, almost from the time you wake, until you ready yourself for bed. In any case-

Sieg Heil!

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi
>
> No need for FAQs. There are plenty of people in the XP NGs to reply to the virus/spyware problems that occur. Firewalls - inc. 3rd party ones - are there to be used. So are anti-virus programs. The Microsoft web site has plenty of advice on it's homepage to that effect.
>
> What PC suppliers ought to be doing is to educate people when they purchase a new machine to make sure that know how to use it properly!!

No PC supplier taught me. Of course, they did not really
exist way back in 1970. In fact, I learned about PC's from
becoming a hobbyist in the mid-1980's. At that time, there
was plenty of literature, ranging from complete manuals in
paper that came with the applications and to on-line guides.
But still no PC supplier did any education, and I am also
guilty of this since my curiosity and desire to learn made
me into an OEM-VAR. How else can one get to play and learn
at the same time? But what PC supplier has the time to do
the educating when new versions of more bloatware come out
at annual intervals?

The answer is this: Microsoft and all of the other software
houses need to return to developing clean, straight-forward
applications, provide the manuals and, today, with the advent
of the worldwide web, on-line instructional modules prepared
not by engineers or computer programmers but teachers with
interactive experience.

BTW, you're right about FAQ's...who reads them when they are
incomprehensible to the neophyte user.

Michael D. Alligood wrote:
> Some of you folks recognize me from my posts on various newsgroups.
> I am a technician with "Geeks On Call". I have been performing IT
> support for about 10 years now. Nearly two-thirds of my service
> calls deal with spyware and viruses. Although there are numerous
> articles concerning this issue, many users do not care to read
> them. They are like me when it comes to my car: If it starts in the
> morning, I do not care how it runs. But what you do not know will
> hurt you in the end.
<snippage>

Michael D. Alligood wrote:
> This is truly unbelievable! A person taking their time to try and help
> indivduals is getting this kind of treatment (esp. from an MVP!)
> Will, again not wanting to offend you, but whats your problem? My
> intentions was to help educate users on spyware. Where is the harm in
> that?!
>
> You are correct in the fact that Microsoft's website is where users
> can educate themselves on this matter. However, the website is static
> in converstation. Which is why they use the newsgroups.

I don't see that Will (or anyone else) is giving you any sort of
"treatment". They responded in the 'non-static' enviroment you posted your
semi-FAQ in - making a conversation thread throwing their opinions about
such a posting out into the coversation. I do believe that is how
newsgroups work. Someone posts something, others respond if they are so
inclined. Some newsgroups have more specific purposes (such as the
Microsoft ones are meant to assist people in whatever way possible.)

Again - if you find my original response to this thread - you can read my
opinions on the impact of such posts. I have not seen anyone outright
attacking you in any way, merely stating their opinions. That does not mean
that by the time I post this message, someone will not have outright
attacked you - unfortunately, it is a public forum. heh

--
<- Shenan ->

Hi

You don't seem to grasp the point. When someone posts a question into a News Group, they are looking for a reply to that question. You use OE - which is good - but a lot of users don't, and post via the CDO interface. It is going to be very difficult for them to find your posting/FAQ hidden under, perhaps, 20 pages!! They wouldn't even know it was there.

--

"Michael D. Alligood" <mdalligood@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:ulJycBocEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>> similair to viruses in that new spyware is being developed and redesigned
>>> everyday. If you do not up-to-date definitions, you cannot counter them.
>>>
>>> When running any of these programs (with the exception of SpyWare
> Blaster)
>>> it is a good idea to do this in Safe Mode. Spyware loves to load itself
>> into
>>> memory.
>>>
>>> A majority of the spyware / viruses cases I see deal with file sharing
>>> programs like Kazaa. This program in particuliar has cost my clients a
> lot
>>> of money. I have removed as many as 4,000 articles of spyware and 39
>> viruses
>>> off one PC.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I hope that this helps you out. If you have any questions or
>>> comments, please fill free to post them and I will help out in any way I

Will and Shenan,
Both of you have valid points and I respect them both. With that said,
let us then stop chatting about this well-meaning post and answer to users
question. Thank you both for you insight and I apologize for being
defensive.

--
Best of luck!

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

> [...]

redesigned
>>> everyday. If you do not up-to-date definitions, you cannot counter them.
>>>
>>> When running any of these programs (with the exception of SpyWare
> Blaster)
>>> it is a good idea to do this in Safe Mode. Spyware loves to load itself
>> into
>>> memory.
>>>
>>> A majority of the spyware / viruses cases I see deal with file sharing
>>> programs like Kazaa. This program in particuliar has cost my clients a
> lot
>>> of money. I have removed as many as 4,000 articles of spyware and 39
>> viruses
>>> off one PC.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I hope that this helps you out. If you have any questions or
>>> comments, please fill free to post them and I will help out in any way I

Hi

Basic tuition in how to use a PC wouldn't go amiss. A lot of parents are buying a 1st PC - mainly for their children - and may never used a computer themselves. You seem to disagree - that's you prerogative.

--

"Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message news:Op5zbLocEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23iERi1ncEHA.716@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

<snipped>

"What PC suppliers ought to be doing is to educate people when they purchase a new machine to make sure that know how to use it properly!!"

Yea, then we wouldn't need your help then would we? Me thinks you are here way to much for your own, almost from the time you wake, until you ready yourself for bed. In any case-

Sieg Heil!

Oh geez............what an anal reply!

First of all, this is the NEW USERS forum...the precise group that tends not
to be aware of all types of malware. Further, it seems to me that MVP's in
ALL groups find themselves replying to posters over and over with comments
and suggestions about downloading Ad-Aware and other utilities to correct
problems.

The OP did us all a favour. He wasn't spamming. He wasn't promoting himself
vis-a-vis commercial ventures.

I really think a 'thanks for helping out' was in order. Not your snivelling
retort which candidly was beneath you.

--
David Nimon
dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca
Hi

These News Groups are for users who want to ask questions about any problems
they may be having with XP. I can't see a question regarding a problem in
your posting.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

Hi David,

I'm sure the OP's intentions were good, but I fear the effort was for
naught. Most people come to the newsgroups and just start typing out what
they wish a solution for. They have probably made no effort to research the
problem, they just come here for a quick answer. That means they will not
scroll down, or up, as the case may be, to even see the would be FAQ's that
were offered by the OP.

FWIW, JAX

"GHalleck" <ghalleck@arrakian.mining.com> wrote in message news:eOIOVgpcEHA.212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> Will Denny wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> No need for FAQs. There are plenty of people in the XP NGs to reply to the virus/spyware problems that occur. Firewalls - inc. 3rd party ones - are there to be used. So are anti-virus programs. The Microsoft web site has plenty of advice on it's homepage to that effect.
>>
>> What PC suppliers ought to be doing is to educate people when they purchase a new machine to make sure that know how to use it properly!!
>>

> No PC supplier taught me. Of course, they did not really
> exist way back in 1970. In fact, I learned about PC's from
> becoming a hobbyist in the mid-1980's. At that time, there
> was plenty of literature, ranging from complete manuals in
> paper that came with the applications and to on-line guides.
> But still no PC supplier did any education, and I am also
> guilty of this since my curiosity and desire to learn made
> me into an OEM-VAR. How else can one get to play and learn
> at the same time? But what PC supplier has the time to do
> the educating when new versions of more bloatware come out
> at annual intervals?
>
> The answer is this: Microsoft and all of the other software
> houses need to return to developing clean, straight-forward
> applications, provide the manuals and, today, with the advent
> of the worldwide web, on-line instructional modules prepared
> not by engineers or computer programmers but teachers with
> interactive experience.
>
> BTW, you're right about FAQ's...who reads them when they are
> incomprehensible to the neophyte user.

Hi

PCs have to be purchased to be able to use software. So why not at the point-of-sale offer a service to the buyer to run through the rudimentaries of Security of the PC? I can't see why that can't be achieved. If all users had used WU and/or had enabled a Firewall, where would Sasser have gone?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

Very true Will. I say the PC manufactures go a step further and include
anti-spyware programs on new systems. The possiblilty of the POS offering a
service would cost extra. But then it would be on the buyers fault if they
did not take advantage of the extra service. Good post.

--
Best of luck!

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

"GHalleck" <ghalleck@arrakian.mining.com> wrote in message

> Will Denny wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> No need for FAQs. There are plenty of people in the XP NGs to reply to
the virus/spyware problems that occur. Firewalls - inc. 3rd party ones -
are there to be used. So are anti-virus programs. The Microsoft web site
has plenty of advice on it's homepage to that effect.

>> What PC suppliers ought to be doing is to educate people when they
purchase a new machine to make sure that know how to use it properly!!

> No PC supplier taught me. Of course, they did not really
> exist way back in 1970. In fact, I learned about PC's from
> becoming a hobbyist in the mid-1980's. At that time, there
> was plenty of literature, ranging from complete manuals in
> paper that came with the applications and to on-line guides.
> But still no PC supplier did any education, and I am also
> guilty of this since my curiosity and desire to learn made
> me into an OEM-VAR. How else can one get to play and learn
> at the same time? But what PC supplier has the time to do
> the educating when new versions of more bloatware come out
> at annual intervals?
>
> The answer is this: Microsoft and all of the other software
> houses need to return to developing clean, straight-forward
> applications, provide the manuals and, today, with the advent
> of the worldwide web, on-line instructional modules prepared
> not by engineers or computer programmers but teachers with
> interactive experience.
>
> BTW, you're right about FAQ's...who reads them when they are
> incomprehensible to the neophyte user.

Hi

PCs have to be purchased to be able to use software. So why not at the
point-of-sale offer a service to the buyer to run through the rudimentaries
of Security of the PC? I can't see why that can't be achieved. If all
users had used WU and/or had enabled a Firewall, where would Sasser have
gone?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

Hi

I don't know of any PC suppliers - at least here in the UK - that include an anti-spyware program. Probably because a lot of them are free to download!!

--

Will Denny wrote:
> I don't know of any PC suppliers - at least here in the UK - that
> include an anti-spyware program. Probably because a lot of them are
> free to download!!

All the more reason they should be included.

Adding Spyware Search and Destroy and SpywareBlaster as well as applying
IE-SpyAD settings to a machine with a prepared unattended installation or
image is easy - do it all the time...

--
<- Shenan ->

Mike

Splendid

Many users just need reassurance that what they are about to do is right..
some come here after they have attempted correction of problems, failing
miserably.. whatever the reason for logging in to a newsgroup, the main
thing here is that they are not ALONE.. posts appear every day that would
indicate many have problems which may make some feel that MS is not
specifically targeting any one individual.. that is a good thing

FAQ's don't cover ALL problems, and often don't cover the topics that seem
to be applicable at the time.. computer users, especially the new ones, want
and need individual attention.. most of all they need the reassurance that
an FAQ just can't do.. long live the newsgroups and all of the people that
repeat answers time and time again..

"JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
> Hi David,
>
> I'm sure the OP's intentions were good, but I fear the effort was for
> naught. Most people come to the newsgroups and just start typing out what
> they wish a solution for. They have probably made no effort to research
the
> problem, they just come here for a quick answer. That means they will not
> scroll down, or up, as the case may be, to even see the would be FAQ's
that
> were offered by the OP.
>
> FWIW, JAX

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

Hi Mike,

It would be nice if somehow a FAQ"s post could be permanently pinned to the
top line of the news reader page for each newsgroup, but I'm sure this is
not a new idea. I would venture, the vast majority of first time posters get
to the various NG's via the Help and Support button on their start menu.
That would be a great place for a link to a FAQ"a web page for each group. I
would think, MS would consider that as both a service to customers and a way
to cut down traffic in the news servers. Yes, there is a FAQ"s in Help and
Support, but it is very limited and generalized, and does not get updated
that often.

Unfortunately, too many posters use subject lines that make it almost
impossible to simply scroll through the news page and find where the
question has already been answered. How many times have you seen subjects
like, help!, XP, I got big problems, etc. It would be great to see
instructions on how to make a good post added to the Help and Support
window. A person can, of course, maneuver through and find information on
how to post, but if they have developed to that skill level, they probably
would be able to find the answer to their question via the web.

FWIW, JAX