Sign in with
Your question
Solved

The new MBP for 2012

Last response: in Mac Os X
September 15, 2011 2:42:16 AM

What do you think about the bump Apple is coming out with in the new 2012 MBP line regarding the speed? thanks :sol: 

More about : mbp 2012

September 18, 2011 7:21:50 PM

musical marv said:
What do you think about the bump Apple is coming out with in the new 2012 MBP line regarding the speed? thanks :sol: 

I'm not sure what you mean here.
m
l
September 19, 2011 3:12:59 AM

halcyon said:
I'm not sure what you mean here.
It goes from 2.3 to 2.5 gig what Apple is introducing in the new MBP.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 19, 2011 3:24:05 AM

musical marv said:
It goes from 2.3 to 2.5 gig what Apple is introducing in the new MBP.

The high-end quad-core? That'll be nice. I wonder what other tricks it will offer. I've got the 2.3 quad core and I can't say its slow.
m
l
September 19, 2011 4:36:05 AM

Oh yeah, a 200 MHz bump is SO gonna improve things... no offense, but I wouldn't pay any attention to this "upgrade".
m
l
September 19, 2011 11:52:59 AM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
Oh yeah, a 200 MHz bump is SO gonna improve things... no offense, but I wouldn't pay any attention to this "upgrade".

I think as far as performance goes you're right. I doubt it will even be noticable. Now if it comes with a ...what is it now...6790M GPU....it would at least have better graphics.
m
l
September 20, 2011 2:45:08 AM

graphics improvement would be the only reason I would upgrade to it.
m
l
September 20, 2011 2:46:51 AM

halcyon said:
I think as far as performance goes you're right. I doubt it will even be noticable. Now if it comes with a ...what is it now...6790M GPU....it would at least have better graphics.
A slight iimprovement is nothing really. Thanks
m
l

Best solution

September 20, 2011 11:40:48 AM

amk-aka-Phantom said:

Now, a 200Mhz bump with some new 6-core processor with additional cache may improve things more than you'd think...but its not necessary right now. The 2.3 i7 quad is plenty quick and blows away its predecessors. It would be nice also see a move to smaller-cooler manufacturing. While the performance difference between the 2.3Ghz quad in my laptop and the 6-core Xeon in my desktop is surprisingly small the noise difference is noticable. When something does get the CPU roused up it sounds like a jet turbine, albeit, a kind of neat-sounding turbine. Fortunately, you don't hear that very often, only when all 4 cores are stressed for some time. The Xeon can be running full-tilt and it always sounds the same.

If a 200Mhz bump could accomplish these things it would be worth looking into...but not for me. I'm done a good while.
September 20, 2011 2:57:21 PM

halcyon said:
Now, a 200Mhz bump with some new 6-core processor with additional cache may improve things more than you'd think...but its not necessary right now. The 2.3 i7 quad is plenty quick and blows away its predecessors. It would be nice also see a move to smaller-cooler manufacturing. While the performance difference between the 2.3Ghz quad in my laptop and the 6-core Xeon in my desktop is surprisingly small the noise difference is noticable. When something does get the CPU roused up it sounds like a jet turbine, albeit, a kind of neat-sounding turbine. Fortunately, you don't hear that very often, only when all 4 cores are stressed for some time. The Xeon can be running full-tilt and it always sounds the same.

If a 200Mhz bump could accomplish these things it would be worth looking into...but not for me. I'm done a good while.

Of course it would be different if it would also add cache and it would be on the hexa-core... but that wasn't a part of the deal, was it? :kaola: 

2.3 i7 is enough; even 1.7 i7 on G73 is damn fast and is enough for whatever you can do on a laptop, even gaming.

Don't compare i7 to Xeon - Xeon is a workstation/server CPU and as such is made to remain as stable temp-wise as possible, I think. You don't want temperature jumps on the server :D 
m
l
September 21, 2011 2:53:29 AM

Best answer selected by musical marv.
m
l
!