Wireless scanning on HP PSC 2510 Photosmart printer

I am running Windows XP Home and have just installed the software for
running the HP PSC 2510 Photosmart printer (several times). I am
running a wireless network using a Dlink router. Printing, Faxing and
Copying all work fine.

However Scanning does not work. I keep getting the following error
message when trying to set the scanning options from the Director. In
fact I get this message every time the installation finishes.

"An error occured communicating with the scanning device. Please
ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again".

Also when trying to scan from within Adobe Phtotoshop I get:

"The function you have requested cannot be performed because another
program already has control of the device. If the program currently
using the device, save any unsaved work, close the program, and try
again"

I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled 3 times and keep
getting this message. I have also downloaded the critical update from
the HP website.

The HP website suggests this problem occurs when there is a problem
with the USB universal host controller. I am not using USB as the
connection!! Even so I uninstalled the host controller in device
manager and reinstalled it - needless to say this made no difference!

I have emailed HP and had no response at all. Can anyone provide some
help on getting the scanning to work on this all-in-one?

Gordon
8 answers Last reply
More about wireless scanning 2510 photosmart printer

    Gordon wrote:
    > I am running Windows XP Home and have just installed the software for
    > running the HP PSC 2510 Photosmart printer (several times). I am
    > running a wireless network using a Dlink router. Printing, Faxing and
    > Copying all work fine.
    >
    > However Scanning does not work. I keep getting the following error
    > message when trying to set the scanning options from the Director. In
    > fact I get this message every time the installation finishes.
    >
    > "An error occured communicating with the scanning device. Please
    > ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again".
    >
    > Also when trying to scan from within Adobe Phtotoshop I get:
    >
    > "The function you have requested cannot be performed because another
    > program already has control of the device. If the program currently
    > using the device, save any unsaved work, close the program, and try
    > again"
    >
    > I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled 3 times and keep
    > getting this message. I have also downloaded the critical update from
    > the HP website.
    >
    > The HP website suggests this problem occurs when there is a problem
    > with the USB universal host controller. I am not using USB as the
    > connection!! Even so I uninstalled the host controller in device
    > manager and reinstalled it - needless to say this made no difference!
    >
    > I have emailed HP and had no response at all. Can anyone provide some
    > help on getting the scanning to work on this all-in-one?
    >
    > Gordon

    How is the printer connected? What has wireless to do with it? Is the
    printer connected via a print server? Also, what OS?

    Hi, thanks for responses
    I am running on Windows XP Home and the printer is connected
    wirelessly via a Dlink adsl router/access point. I am not using the
    machine as a print server and indeed do not believe it comes with this
    functionality. As long as the machine is connected to the network (in
    my case wirelessly) it will enable a user to print from any PC on the
    same network.

    Since initial email I have discovered this may be to do with a problem
    with a file called usbscan.sys but cannot seem to find a fix for it.

    The really annoying thing here is that this is the second of these
    printers that I have had. The first had to be returned due to a
    scratch on the underside of the glass scanning, copying surface. The
    scanning worked when I had that printer. I am convinced it is not a
    hardware issue becuase I managed to prescan via the printers browser
    interface. It is a software incompatibility linked to usb even though
    I am not using usb!!! (if that makes any sense).

    Gordon

    "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message news:<kq2dndy3755hawvdRVn-hA@comcast.com>...
    > Gordon wrote:
    > > I am running Windows XP Home and have just installed the software for
    > > running the HP PSC 2510 Photosmart printer (several times). I am
    > > running a wireless network using a Dlink router. Printing, Faxing and
    > > Copying all work fine.
    > >
    > > However Scanning does not work. I keep getting the following error
    > > message when trying to set the scanning options from the Director. In
    > > fact I get this message every time the installation finishes.
    > >
    > > "An error occured communicating with the scanning device. Please
    > > ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again".
    > >
    > > Also when trying to scan from within Adobe Phtotoshop I get:
    > >
    > > "The function you have requested cannot be performed because another
    > > program already has control of the device. If the program currently
    > > using the device, save any unsaved work, close the program, and try
    > > again"
    > >
    > > I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled 3 times and keep
    > > getting this message. I have also downloaded the critical update from
    > > the HP website.
    > >
    > > The HP website suggests this problem occurs when there is a problem
    > > with the USB universal host controller. I am not using USB as the
    > > connection!! Even so I uninstalled the host controller in device
    > > manager and reinstalled it - needless to say this made no difference!
    > >
    > > I have emailed HP and had no response at all. Can anyone provide some
    > > help on getting the scanning to work on this all-in-one?
    > >
    > > Gordon
    >
    > How is the printer connected? What has wireless to do with it? Is the
    > printer connected via a print server? Also, what OS?

    Hi Gordon,

    Can't help you with your problem but I am considering this device and
    was wondering whether it has in in built print server? This may be a
    dumb question but I want to be able to print from any PC on my
    wireless network whether or not any other PC is turned on. Also, if
    two people hit print at the same time, I would assume that a print
    server will be needed to sort out who goes first. I have also emailed
    HP with this question with no response -makes one wonder about their
    customer service.

    Gordon wrote:
    > Hi, thanks for responses
    > I am running on Windows XP Home and the printer is connected
    > wirelessly via a Dlink adsl router/access point. I am not using the
    > machine as a print server and indeed do not believe it comes with this
    > functionality. As long as the machine is connected to the network (in
    > my case wirelessly) it will enable a user to print from any PC on the
    > same network.
    >
    > Since initial email I have discovered this may be to do with a problem
    > with a file called usbscan.sys but cannot seem to find a fix for it.
    >
    > The really annoying thing here is that this is the second of these
    > printers that I have had. The first had to be returned due to a
    > scratch on the underside of the glass scanning, copying surface. The
    > scanning worked when I had that printer. I am convinced it is not a
    > hardware issue becuase I managed to prescan via the printers browser
    > interface. It is a software incompatibility linked to usb even though
    > I am not using usb!!! (if that makes any sense).
    >
    > Gordon

    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>> I am running Windows XP Home and have just installed the software
    >>> for running the HP PSC 2510 Photosmart printer (several times). I am
    >>> running a wireless network using a Dlink router. Printing, Faxing
    >>> and Copying all work fine.
    >>>
    >>> However Scanning does not work. I keep getting the following error
    >>> message when trying to set the scanning options from the Director.
    >>> In fact I get this message every time the installation finishes.
    >>>
    >>> "An error occured communicating with the scanning device. Please
    >>> ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try
    >>> again".
    >>>
    >>> Also when trying to scan from within Adobe Phtotoshop I get:
    >>>
    >>> "The function you have requested cannot be performed because another
    >>> program already has control of the device. If the program currently
    >>> using the device, save any unsaved work, close the program, and try
    >>> again"
    >>>
    >>> I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled 3 times and keep
    >>> getting this message. I have also downloaded the critical update
    >>> from the HP website.
    >>>
    >>> The HP website suggests this problem occurs when there is a problem
    >>> with the USB universal host controller. I am not using USB as the
    >>> connection!! Even so I uninstalled the host controller in device
    >>> manager and reinstalled it - needless to say this made no
    >>> difference!
    >>>
    >>> I have emailed HP and had no response at all. Can anyone provide
    >>> some help on getting the scanning to work on this all-in-one?
    >>>
    >>> Gordon
    >>
    >> How is the printer connected? What has wireless to do with it? Is
    >> the printer connected via a print server? Also, what OS?

    Do you have another TWAIN device connected to the computer? Scanners
    and Cameras are TWAIN devices. Windows will only support one active
    TWAIN device, so a camera or another scanner using TWAIN will interfere
    with another such device. OTOH, the scanning function is usually the
    point of failure with multifunction devices and that is fixed with a
    proper deinstallation/reinstallation of the driver. Try
    http://www.coribright.com/Windows/ for support for printer
    installations.

    Hi,

    I had the same scanning problem (in the end the PSC 2510 did not even print)
    and
    fixed it in the following way:

    My system is WinXP pro
    My CD was at the 3.1.2 level
    I downloaded (>400 MB!) the 3.5.1 level dated 2004-03-18 from
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?product=303770&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=228&softwareitem=mp-18002-3
    I uninstalled the old software completely as described at
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=303770&lang=en&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bpu01843
    Than I Installed the new version (it did not work with the ethernet cable as
    the manual stated, but Wireless was OK after manual tweaking the network
    address)
    When it was installed I started the Update program which even installed
    updates again

    It took a lot of time but so far all the errors I had disappeared

    Alex

    "Gordon" <gordonavon@carrotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am running Windows XP Home and have just installed the software for
    > running the HP PSC 2510 Photosmart printer (several times). I am
    > running a wireless network using a Dlink router. Printing, Faxing and
    > Copying all work fine.
    >
    > However Scanning does not work. I keep getting the following error
    > message when trying to set the scanning options from the Director. In
    > fact I get this message every time the installation finishes.
    >
    > "An error occured communicating with the scanning device. Please
    > ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again".
    >
    > Also when trying to scan from within Adobe Phtotoshop I get:
    >
    > "The function you have requested cannot be performed because another
    > program already has control of the device. If the program currently
    > using the device, save any unsaved work, close the program, and try
    > again"
    >
    > I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled 3 times and keep
    > getting this message. I have also downloaded the critical update from
    > the HP website.
    >
    > The HP website suggests this problem occurs when there is a problem
    > with the USB universal host controller. I am not using USB as the
    > connection!! Even so I uninstalled the host controller in device
    > manager and reinstalled it - needless to say this made no difference!
    >
    > I have emailed HP and had no response at all. Can anyone provide some
    > help on getting the scanning to work on this all-in-one?
    >
    > Gordon

    Hey guys call hp tech support @ 1-800-474-6836 and try to get to the
    support group in nova scotia and they have a fix for your problem
    that works about 95% of the time

    fyi don't do the software updates after the printer is installed an
    working properly because it causes problems

    ==============

    Hi Gordon

    I have exactly the same problem (we're even using the same router) and
    this is what I've just been told by hp support...

    "It's a windows problem. There is no fix for it."
    This however is the workaround they suggested: Get the IP address of
    your printer (Press 'setup' on the printer then scroll down to option
    6 'network' and press 'ok' to get a printout which gives its IP
    amongst other things). Open Internet Explorer and type this IP
    address in to the address bar to access an embedded web server, you
    can then get the PSC to scan. I've tried it and I'm not skilled
    enough to find it very helpful, but apparently there are further
    instructions on microsoft website as to the capabilities of this
    embedded web server. It's certainly better than nothing.

    If you have any luck getting a better solution I'd love to hear about
    it!

    ==============

    Hi

    the complete thread is not on my newsserver anymore so I do not know the
    detailed question. However I also had scanning problems and they were fixed
    after installation of the latest software from the HP website. Make sure you
    deinstall the old software according to the rules on the hp support website.
    it takes a lot of time bt it was worth the effort, all problems are gone.

    regards, Alex

    "Mrs Stan" <marieclaireguppy@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
    message news:40c09d02_2@news.athenanews.com...
    > Hi Gordon
    >
    > I have exactly the same problem (we're even using the same router) and
    > this is what I've just been told by hp support...
    >
    > "It's a windows problem. There is no fix for it."
    > This however is the workaround they suggested: Get the IP address of
    > your printer (Press 'setup' on the printer then scroll down to option
    > 6 'network' and press 'ok' to get a printout which gives its IP
    > amongst other things). Open Internet Explorer and type this IP
    > address in to the address bar to access an embedded web server, you
    > can then get the PSC to scan. I've tried it and I'm not skilled
    > enough to find it very helpful, but apparently there are further
    > instructions on microsoft website as to the capabilities of this
    > embedded web server. It's certainly better than nothing.
    >
    > If you have any luck getting a better solution I'd love to hear about
    > it!

    troubleshooting newsgroups.

Hewlett Packard Photosmart Printers Computers