Win7 One PC Two Monitors One User Per Monitor

G

Hi Everyone,

I've had a HTPC for awhile, been wonderful. The great part was that I had the TV directly above the monitor. This let me play videos and use the second monitor to surf the web.

Recently I've moved, and now my TV is in a living room. I have a 35ft HDMI cable connecting the tv to the computer. I also have a wireless keyboard and mouse setup for the people in the living room. The monitor and computer are in a completely different room.

My goal is to still use the computer and allow users to watch videos in the living room. However I've run into a problem.
1. Having two monitors in different rooms, means that the desktop/taskbar is on one screen or another.
2. People using the keyboard/mouse in one room will affect the user in the other room.

Is there any way to setup win7 to allow different profiles for each monitor? Essentially allowing two different users on the same computer at the same time?

Thanks,
Boggie1688

G

Could you provide more details? Or information. I've used virtual machines before, but they seemed very slow. That is a concern because I would be using the virtual machine for the tv in the living room, which requires bluray decoding.

Do virtual machines have the drivers required for that?

G

Damn thats annoying. I really wanted to play counter strike and let my gf watch her movies. I hope the Virtual Machine can handle cs.

Anyawyz I got virtual box installed. I had it setup to do a Win7 vm, but when I run it, it says no boot disc. Not really sure how to set this up. You know where I can go for more info?

G

I got the thing to run the xp setup. Realized I had to mount an iso, but the damn install program says It can't install because no drive is deteceted.

maddy617

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
get a ps3, or similar piece of hardware that allows network streaming to your tv. then you can stream the movies to the ps3, and play games on the computer

i have my ps3 connected to my pc and via a cable and use wmp to stream movies, music to the telly and it does not effect the pc in anyway. and there are some boxes dedicated to streaming which are cheaper than a ps3

Ok First off what is your video card? For real why does your "gf" need controll?? Just start the movie for her and play your game.. When she yell pause you do your part and so on... Only prob I see here is you are passing audio through the HDMI so you will get no sound with your game or she will hear it in the movie she is watching... really get a cheapo PC and use that in the living room.. I have a $200 dell POS with a ati 4350 and it plays blue ray fine...

T

go_tkg

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I've had a HTPC for awhile, been wonderful. The great part was that I had the TV directly above the monitor. This let me play videos and use the second monitor to surf the web.

Recently I've moved, and now my TV is in a living room. I have a 35ft HDMI cable connecting the tv to the computer. I also have a wireless keyboard and mouse setup for the people in the living room. The monitor and computer are in a completely different room.

My goal is to still use the computer and allow users to watch videos in the living room. However I've run into a problem.
1. Having two monitors in different rooms, means that the desktop/taskbar is on one screen or another.
2. People using the keyboard/mouse in one room will affect the user in the other room.

Is there any way to setup win7 to allow different profiles for each monitor? Essentially allowing two different users on the same computer at the same time?

Thanks,
Boggie1688

:bounce: Hey, there's a good solution now for Windows/7 (and for Windows Server 2008 R2): softXpand Duo 2011 enables 2 people to use 1 PC at the same time, with an extra set of monitor, keyboard and mouse.
Try it from Share A Computer and let me know if it works for you.