The KT400 test

ezzlar

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2002
I just read the KT400 test of motherboards.

Conclusion:

No advantage to DDR333. Strange. Why buy the board then?

because it's the athlon and the athlon doesn't make any use of the increased bandwidth unlike the pentium 4.

Conclusion, it's simple marketing and the numbers game. "get higher number means i get faster computer".

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
All KT400 boards should have AGP 8X, Thermal protection, and are more likely to have Serial ATA, and Firewire. Other than that, it's simply a cosmetic change. Perhaps when DDR400 becomes more of a standard, or the Athlon increases it's FSB you might see some increased performance.

If ignorance is bliss, then why is everyone so miserable?

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Thermal protection

hear that before the featrure should be in the CPU like intel do.

At the end i have speak with a horny lady

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, AGP 8x, by the time it's usefull the board will be outdated, probably the whole Sokcet 462 platform! Same goes for Serial ATA. And lots of boards have firewire.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Hmm, AGP 8x, by the time it's usefull the board will be outdated, probably the whole Sokcet 462 platform! Same goes for Serial ATA.
Yeah, but they have to introduce them sometime!
Are you saying that implementation of 8X AGP and Serial ATA should wait?
Are you saying that Rambus should have waited one more year before introducing RDRAM, because there were no adequate platform for it? ALL boards (and I really mean all of them) that made use of RDRAM when it was first introduced were all worthless because the P3 platform was really far from appropriate for RDRAM. We had to wait until the release of the P4 for RDRAM to mean something.
All new technology has to be introduced sometime, and sooner is better than later.

<font color=red>Do ya feel lucky, Punk? Well...? Do ya?
Then go ahead and buy that C3 CPU!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, what I really mean to say is that many new performance features are not worth a knowlegable person spending good money on. Let the guys who <b>think</b> they know something about computers be the ones to pay for the intro. You know, the guys who can't understand why their P4 1.9 with 256MB PC133 and integrated Intel Extreme Graphics can't play SOF3 in full detail.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
basically this is why i'll wait for something like KT400A. Kind of like KT266 wasn't that big of deal, but KT266A showed a good boost. KT333 did ok, but KT400 not. Something like KT400A should :) IMHO

<i> If your computer is your best friend, maybe you should rethink your life.</i> :wink:

rmaclean

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Great!

...and the KT333 has no performance advantage over the KT266.

I'm beginning to be very disgusted with the hype around the VIA chipsets. Back to AMD...

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
AGP 8X might be more usefull than you think for the ATI card. It might not double the actual throughput of the card (I don't think anything uses that much bandwidth), but newer games are getting to the limit and beyond, so it will help.

Serial ATA could be usefull as soon as March of next year.

And, even if they aren't usefull now, they give you upgrade posibilities. However, yes, I do think that the board will be the one that needs upgrades before Serial ATA will be required. But I wouldn't complain if I had them.

I'm still looking for a reason to upgrade my KT266A Board, and can't find one. There isn't enough of a difference in any of these boards to justify ripping my computer apart let alone spending the money. So I'll probably just sit on the computer for at least another year. By then, Serial ATA should have standardized, DX 9 cards should be cheep, and we'll know if Hammer will be worth it, and I can simply build a new system.

If ignorance is bliss, then why is everyone so miserable?