Kachunk, kachunk, ka...JUNK! KT400.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, KT400 can't even compete with the KT333, looks like it's even slower than other manufacturer's chipsets in this comparison. Plus VIA's poor reputation. SiS 745 is a beatifull thing, and nForce looks like a good bet as well.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
HAHAH!!! I knew something was up when Patrick Schmid hinted:

With a full 400 MHz memory clock, and the option of a 333 MHz FSB clock, the newcomer is currently the most optimal - theoretically, at least.
When I jumped to the benchmarks, low and behold, "amazing" scores that almost made me fall off of my seat!! LOL!!!

Hey, but at least MSI, Abit, and Gigabyte did something right, and that was NOT using a *VIA* sound chip and network controller!

Disregard my previous post.

Go Crashman !!!!!! You've been telling everyone for months now that it is useless to upgrade from the 266A to the 333.And now it is proven once again that it useless to upgrade to the 400.
When will people learn VIA is not a good choice. There are more stable,faster, chipsets available from SIS and ALI.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Why not if you can get a Kt333 board at the same or less cost? The Kt333 has *some* more features than the Kt266a. I'm perfectly happy getting my Kt333 board, about the same price as a Kt266a, albeit with a bit more. Via is a perfectly fine choice, they just make more mistakes than other companies out there.

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Via is a perfectly fine choice, they just make more mistakes than other companies out there.
What's wrong with this picture? :wink:

<font color=red>Do ya feel lucky, Punk? Well...? Do ya?
Then go ahead and buy that C3 CPU!</font color=red>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Look...it happens...[-peep-] happens. Via just happens to recieve more flak from enthusiasts from others. However, they also happen to make some of the best products as well. I'm not denying the fact they do some questionable marketing, but it happens in business.

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
the 333 has one advantage over the 266A.
it can run properly at 166fsb with the 1/5 divider. (the 266A didnt have the 1/5)
so the kt333 is 333fsb tbred & barton ready essentially.

i agree though about the KT400. really should be called the KT333A lol
1 stick of ram...sad.
have to face it, PC2700 on cas2 is better than PC3200 on cas 2.5

<b>Trust Me, Trust Yourself, Trust the Hamster. Anyone else - Shoot Them. :eek: </b> This sig was proudly brought to you by <i>Hammie</i> :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Problem is SiS and ALi haven't been able to build a strong enough reputation in the enthusiast market to warrant manufacturers producing high end boards with them. Two exceptions were the Leadtek Winfast 7350KDA and the Iwill XP333. Now the XP333 is a fine board, but not up to my level of perfection. Notice that even though ALi boards all had some weird problem, the problem was always unique the that manufacturer, implying that poorly validated motherboard/BIOS design was responsible, not the chipset. Unlike VIA chipsets that have certain problems on all boards, indicating the chipset itself is the problem. Same goes for SiS in the area of performance, except for the 7350KDA, no retail board seems to have the performance of the reference board. Usually performance increases with developement on other brands! Again indicating that the board manufacturer just didn't put an adequate amount of effort into their product.

Anyway, the KT266A had that 3% lead on the SiS 735. Not a good tradeoff for the small issues that became major problems for such a large minority of VIA users. And it looks like the KT400 isn't any faster.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

rmaclean

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Should actually be called the KT266B.

The KT333 is no faster thatn the KT266, and the KT400 is no faster than the KT333.

Do NOT waste money on upgrading to "the Emperor's New Motherboard".

ezzlar

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2002
Today I own an ASUS A7V-E (KT133) and plan to upgrade. My computer dealer offers me ASUS A7V333 for $100 and ASUS A7V8X (KT400) for $150. (I dont live in the US). Which one should I go for?