Re Post No Answer before. Need Help Re: Startup items

July 25, 2004 10:16:31 PM

I go to run>msconfig>startup and uncheck a lot of junk that is loading. I
apply and then restart.

When I restart, the system comes up with a page asking whether I want to run
in xp or restore mode then it starts in XP and runs all the programs I had
unchecked in startup. When I look at startup portion under system config
again, the programs have check marks back. I have to go into the General
tab and rechoose normal startup in the system config utility.

Computer's only a day old and haven't been on the net much. Several anti
spy and anti virus scans are negative.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Chet
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 10:21:38 PM

What kind of programs are loading?

--
Best of luck!

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I go to run>msconfig>startup and uncheck a lot of junk that is loading. I
> apply and then restart.
>
> When I restart, the system comes up with a page asking whether I want to
run
> in xp or restore mode then it starts in XP and runs all the programs I had
> unchecked in startup. When I look at startup portion under system config
> again, the programs have check marks back. I have to go into the General
> tab and rechoose normal startup in the system config utility.
>
> Computer's only a day old and haven't been on the net much. Several anti
> spy and anti virus scans are negative.
>
> Any thoughts on how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chet

Anonymous
July 26, 2004 2:13:15 AM

Startup from www.mlin.net will do what you want easily.

Please trim posts.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:e$N58npcEHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
I don't use, nor want, these programs. I know how to
| go into msconfig and then the startup menu and uncheck programs. The
| problem is that after I do that and reboot, they are re-checked. Is the
| startup menu "locked" or something????
Related resources
July 26, 2004 2:21:31 AM

Did you check the "Selective Startup"?
Gerry

"» mrtee «" <hingelicker at new.rr.com> wrote in message
Startup from www.mlin.net will do what you want easily.

Please trim posts.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
I don't use, nor want, these programs. I know how to
| go into msconfig and then the startup menu and uncheck programs. The
| problem is that after I do that and reboot, they are re-checked. Is the
| startup menu "locked" or something????
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 3:47:32 AM

No. Do I have to in order to only start the programs I want, i.e. exclude
unchecked ones? After unchecking some and rebooting it says do I want to
continue with Selective startup, I say no, I want a normal startup and all
revert back to checked. Is this the problem???

"Normal Startup" means run every program regardless of how I checked them??

Thanks.

Chet

"Gerry" <gerry6g@aol.com> wrote in message
> Did you check the "Selective Startup"?
> Gerry
>

> "» mrtee «" <hingelicker at new.rr.com> wrote in message
> Startup from www.mlin.net will do what you want easily.
>
> Please trim posts.
>
> --
> Just my 2¢ worth,
> Jeff
> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I don't use, nor want, these programs. I know how to
> | go into msconfig and then the startup menu and uncheck programs. The
> | problem is that after I do that and reboot, they are re-checked. Is the
> | startup menu "locked" or something????

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 11:32:37 PM

Yes, it is.

You need to select "selective".

The link I gave earlier www.mlin.net offers a program "Startup" that will allow you to do that from the control panel.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:%23lyT0x4cEHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| No. Do I have to in order to only start the programs I want, i.e. exclude
| unchecked ones? After unchecking some and rebooting it says do I want to
| continue with Selective startup, I say no, I want a normal startup and all
| revert back to checked. Is this the problem???
|
| "Normal Startup" means run every program regardless of how I checked them??
|
| Thanks.
|
| Chet
|
| "Gerry" <gerry6g@aol.com> wrote in message
| > Did you check the "Selective Startup"?
| > Gerry
| >

| > "» mrtee «" <hingelicker at new.rr.com> wrote in message
| > Startup from www.mlin.net will do what you want easily.
| >
| > Please trim posts.
| >
| > --
| > Just my 2¢ worth,
| > Jeff
| > "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
| > I don't use, nor want, these programs. I know how to
| > | go into msconfig and then the startup menu and uncheck programs. The
| > | problem is that after I do that and reboot, they are re-checked. Is the
| > | startup menu "locked" or something????

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 12:51:43 AM

Understood. I tried it and it makes life much easier.

Thanks.

Chet

!