Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Re Post No Answer before. Need Help Re: Startup items

Tags:
  • Windows XP
July 25, 2004 10:16:31 PM

I go to run>msconfig>startup and uncheck a lot of junk that is loading. I
apply and then restart.

When I restart, the system comes up with a page asking whether I want to run
in xp or restore mode then it starts in XP and runs all the programs I had
unchecked in startup. When I look at startup portion under system config
again, the programs have check marks back. I have to go into the General
tab and rechoose normal startup in the system config utility.

Computer's only a day old and haven't been on the net much. Several anti
spy and anti virus scans are negative.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Chet

More about : post answer startup items

Anonymous
July 25, 2004 10:21:38 PM

What kind of programs are loading?

--
Best of luck!

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I go to run>msconfig>startup and uncheck a lot of junk that is loading. I
> apply and then restart.
>
> When I restart, the system comes up with a page asking whether I want to
run
> in xp or restore mode then it starts in XP and runs all the programs I had
> unchecked in startup. When I look at startup portion under system config
> again, the programs have check marks back. I have to go into the General
> tab and rechoose normal startup in the system config utility.
>
> Computer's only a day old and haven't been on the net much. Several anti
> spy and anti virus scans are negative.
>
> Any thoughts on how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chet

Anonymous
July 26, 2004 2:13:15 AM

Startup from www.mlin.net will do what you want easily.

Please trim posts.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:e$N58npcEHA.2812@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
I don't use, nor want, these programs. I know how to
| go into msconfig and then the startup menu and uncheck programs. The
| problem is that after I do that and reboot, they are re-checked. Is the
| startup menu "locked" or something????
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 26, 2004 2:21:31 AM

Did you check the "Selective Startup"?
Gerry

"» mrtee «" <hingelicker at new.rr.com> wrote in message
Startup from www.mlin.net will do what you want easily.

Please trim posts.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
I don't use, nor want, these programs. I know how to
| go into msconfig and then the startup menu and uncheck programs. The
| problem is that after I do that and reboot, they are re-checked. Is the
| startup menu "locked" or something????
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 3:47:32 AM

No. Do I have to in order to only start the programs I want, i.e. exclude
unchecked ones? After unchecking some and rebooting it says do I want to
continue with Selective startup, I say no, I want a normal startup and all
revert back to checked. Is this the problem???

"Normal Startup" means run every program regardless of how I checked them??

Thanks.

Chet

"Gerry" <gerry6g@aol.com> wrote in message
> Did you check the "Selective Startup"?
> Gerry
>

> "» mrtee «" <hingelicker at new.rr.com> wrote in message
> Startup from www.mlin.net will do what you want easily.
>
> Please trim posts.
>
> --
> Just my 2¢ worth,
> Jeff
> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I don't use, nor want, these programs. I know how to
> | go into msconfig and then the startup menu and uncheck programs. The
> | problem is that after I do that and reboot, they are re-checked. Is the
> | startup menu "locked" or something????

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 11:32:37 PM

Yes, it is.

You need to select "selective".

The link I gave earlier www.mlin.net offers a program "Startup" that will allow you to do that from the control panel.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:%23lyT0x4cEHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| No. Do I have to in order to only start the programs I want, i.e. exclude
| unchecked ones? After unchecking some and rebooting it says do I want to
| continue with Selective startup, I say no, I want a normal startup and all
| revert back to checked. Is this the problem???
|
| "Normal Startup" means run every program regardless of how I checked them??
|
| Thanks.
|
| Chet
|
| "Gerry" <gerry6g@aol.com> wrote in message
| > Did you check the "Selective Startup"?
| > Gerry
| >

| > "» mrtee «" <hingelicker at new.rr.com> wrote in message
| > Startup from www.mlin.net will do what you want easily.
| >
| > Please trim posts.
| >
| > --
| > Just my 2¢ worth,
| > Jeff
| > "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
| > I don't use, nor want, these programs. I know how to
| > | go into msconfig and then the startup menu and uncheck programs. The
| > | problem is that after I do that and reboot, they are re-checked. Is the
| > | startup menu "locked" or something????

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 12:51:43 AM

Understood. I tried it and it makes life much easier.

Thanks.

Chet