Answering machine and Officejet 6110...

Hi all,

I try to have my answering machine working with my new officejet 6110
but no luck yet...

The phone lines goes to the printer, a cable goes from the printer to
the answering machine.

The answering machine "answers" after 3 rings (the 6110 manual states
that it should be less than 4) but if it's a fax I never get it.

The 6110 then print a sheet with "error 283", "If you try to receive a
fax, call the sender and tell him to fax again..."

Any ideas would be appreciate,

RG
2 answers Last reply
More about answering machine officejet 6110

    The setup you describe will not answer fax calls. The answering machine will
    pickup the line first. The only way the 6110 will function with the
    answering machine is to use it with a distinctive ring line where fax calls
    ring differently from voice calls. Then you set the 6110 to answer the
    pattern for the fax calls and set the answering machine for the voice
    pattern.
    "rafafa" <rafafa90210nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I try to have my answering machine working with my new officejet 6110
    > but no luck yet...
    >
    > The phone lines goes to the printer, a cable goes from the printer to
    > the answering machine.
    >
    > The answering machine "answers" after 3 rings (the 6110 manual states
    > that it should be less than 4) but if it's a fax I never get it.
    >
    > The 6110 then print a sheet with "error 283", "If you try to receive a
    > fax, call the sender and tell him to fax again..."
    >
    > Any ideas would be appreciate,
    >
    > RG

    This is from an HP 5500 Officejet manual I downloaded a while back
    when contemplating purchase of a 5510:

    "How your HP Officejet will answer fax calls

    "You set the HP Officejet to answer after 6 rings, and you set your
    answering machine to answer after 4 or fewer rings. This ensures that
    your answering machine will always answer before the HP Officejet.

    "When the phone rings, your answering machine will answer after the
    number of rings you have set, and then play your recorded greeting.
    The HP Officejet monitors the call during this time, “listening” for
    fax tones.

    "If incoming fax tones are detected, the HP Officejet will emit fax
    reception tones and receive the fax; if there are no fax tones, the HP
    Officejet stops monitoring the line and your answering machine can
    record a voice message."

    I assume your 6110 is supposed to work the same way. It sounds like
    you have it set up correctly. There is a difference between the two
    RJ-11 jacks on the 5500. The one for the phone line input is labeled
    "LINE" and the one to the answering machine is labeled "EXT". Swapping
    those might cause a problem.

    The only other item to consider is that the 5500 manual says to use
    the included 2 wire phone patch cord between the wall plug and
    printer/scanner/fax unit. It says specifically to not use an ordinary
    4 wire patch cord.

    I cannot explain why that should make any difference because the
    normal single line phone connection is handled by only 2 wires anyway
    (the two inner contacts on the RJ-11 plugs). They seem to be concerned
    about possible crosstalk from a second phone line on the other two
    wires (the outer two contacts on the RJ-11 plugs). But if that were
    true, then a lot more coupling would already exist in the building
    wiring where the four wires are bundled together.

    Dick Ballard
    ballardr@att.net

    On Mon, 03 May 2004 19:50:49 +0200, rafafa
    <rafafa90210nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I try to have my answering machine working with my new officejet 6110
    >but no luck yet...
    >
    >The phone lines goes to the printer, a cable goes from the printer to
    >the answering machine.
    >
    >The answering machine "answers" after 3 rings (the 6110 manual states
    >that it should be less than 4) but if it's a fax I never get it.
    >
    >The 6110 then print a sheet with "error 283", "If you try to receive a
    >fax, call the sender and tell him to fax again..."
    >
    >Any ideas would be appreciate,
    >
    >RG

Hewlett Packard Officejet Fax Computers