Corrupt IE6 installation - please help ?

July 26, 2004 7:12:01 PM

Everytime I click to open Internet Explorer I get the message, "Windows cannot access the specific device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" I've tried sfc / scannow, which doesn't work - I've done scans with Ad-aware Pro, etc makes no difference to the state of IE 6. As a last resort I did System restore 3 times all of which failed. I'm also the main system adminstrator on my machine. I've had this problem for the past 2 days and in that time to keep me on the Internet I've installed Opera 6 and Microsoft explorer, which work fine. I would like IE6 back though if its possible?. My system wont let me install IE6 from CD-Rom either because it says I already have a newer version of IE6 on my machine. Finally I also have IE5 on this machine which it wont let me go back too either, I also use the Windows Update site all the time to make sure my computer is spot on and up to date. Hope you can help. Thanks
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 9:45:47 PM

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Matthew" <Matthew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

| Everytime I click to open Internet Explorer I get the message, "Windows cannot access the specific device,
path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" I've tried sfc / scannow,
which doesn't work - I've done scans with Ad-aware Pro, etc makes no difference to the state of IE 6. As a
last resort I did System restore 3 times all of which failed. I'm also the main system adminstrator on my
machine. I've had this problem for the past 2 days and in that time to keep me on the Internet I've installed
Opera 6 and Microsoft explorer, which work fine. I would like IE6 back though if its possible?. My system wont
let me install IE6 from CD-Rom either because it says I already have a newer version of IE6 on my machine.
Finally I also have IE5 on this machine which it wont let me go back too either, I also use the Windows Update
site all the time to make sure my computer is spot on and up to date. Hope you can help. Thanks
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 2:22:01 PM

If you do a search for reinstall IE 6 you will get tons of sites with detailed instructions. This in my opinion is one of the better ones. http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_reinstall_ie_and_oe_...
}:~)
--
There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.
!