Sign in with
Your question

Your favorite three PC games of the last thirty months?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Games
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
May 18, 2007 8:33:37 PM

[I have a tendency to ramble. Feel free to save yourself three minutes of your life and reply to the topic title rather than read my ramblings on why I asked the question :D  ]

I've found myself in a nice position: I haven't bought a single PC game since November of 2004, and I now have a freshly built gaming rig that can handle anything, along with two and a half years of computer gaming goodness waiting to be experienced.

However, I didn't pay any attention to what got released on the PC during that two and a half years. I was too immersed in WoW along with HL2 and its mods. So now I'm playing catch up, trying to figure out what games among dozens of worthwhile ones that I missed most deserve playing.

So, I pose to thee a question: of all the games you've played since the release of HL2/WoW in November of '04, what are the first three you'd recommend to a friend who hasn't gamed at all since then?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :D 

P.S. For the record, I'm probably getting Oblivion no matter what; I know that much at least. So you can think of this poll as your three favorites other than Oblivion, if you like. And feel free to suggest more than three. I'll probably end up buying several games over the next couple months, but I'm starting with three or so.

More about : favorite games thirty months

May 19, 2007 2:26:01 AM

HL 2 would certainly top the list.

I didn't really care for Oblivion.

I enjoyed FEAR.

I've really gotten into Galactic Civilizations.

My third would probably be the add-on for Gothic 2, Night of the Raven.
May 23, 2007 11:52:01 AM

I'm a big strategy fan, so I'd recommend Galactic Civilizations 2 (now has an add-on as well) for turn-based and Company of Heroes as an RTS. You might want to give Civilization IV a go as well.

If you like football/soccer, go for Pro Evolution Soccer (Winning Eleven in some countries) - much better than Fifa IMO.

If you ever liked Elite, give X3:Reunion a try. Just make sure to download all the updates before you try to play (it was buggy on release, but fine now).

Oh, and I really enjoyed Hitman:Blood Money as well.

Games I'd avoid; Caesar IV (big disappointment - 3 is still better), Age of Empires 3 (again, AoE2 is better), Master of Orion 3 (awful - got for GalCiv2 instead). I also think Battlefield is overrated and dull, but many people would disagree.
Related resources
May 23, 2007 12:38:42 PM

Gal civ 2, Stalker and Neverwinter Nights 2 would be at the top 3 for me
May 23, 2007 6:14:46 PM

I think Battlefield 2 was 2005.. i've been playing since 05, of course I also play Oblivion, just no time, and Command & Conquer 3, but no time for that either!
May 23, 2007 7:57:22 PM

Ut2004 Mainly for the mods. I like carball(carball.net) been playing it for like 3 years and am still addicted. Ut2004 is like a bunch of games plus you can create your own. If you get it get the editors choice if possible, cause that has the content creation editor etc. in it. Just a suggestion.
Bf2 and bf2142 are fun. Css ofcourse. :p 
May 24, 2007 2:01:25 AM

company of heroes. Also theyre making an expansion for it which will be out at the end of the year.

half life 2 would be a good choice as it comes with counterstrike source which is very popular, also thers a good mod i used to play called Garry's mod for half life2. worth checking out as its unlike any other kind of game

cant think of another: ive got supreme commander which looks like it should be good, just it runs like crap so i dont play it atm
June 1, 2007 5:31:52 PM

1. Counter-Strike Source

2. F.E.A.R (if you like horror games)

3. Oblivion (lots of mods you can install too)

AND

if you don't like horror games (see #2) then you could also try

Fable : The lost chapters

I found that to be pretty enjoyable
June 3, 2007 6:43:19 PM

1. Company of Heroes (best RTS since StarCraft)

2. F.E.A.R. (scary stuff, plus it's the new gold standard for FPS action)

3. Half-Life 2 Episode I (short and probably toio expensive, but nonetheless brilliant)
June 4, 2007 5:19:34 PM

Super Granny 3. It is vicious and unrelenting.
June 7, 2007 4:12:50 PM

Definately get S.T.A.L.K.E.R amazing shooter game prolly the best one out to date.
If you enjoy strategy get Medieval Total War 2, One of the best strat games ive ever played it will keep you busy for so long you'll be reduced to kraft dinner in your underwear in your moms basement!!! :lol:  :lol:  8O Definately a good pick lol!
As for the third choice its a tie between Battle field 2 and Oblivion i guess it comes down to if you prefer RPG's or shooters more, But hell my advice is just get em both! :) 
Cheers!!

-Rwsanford
June 7, 2007 4:20:50 PM

Here are my top three:

Half Life 2

Battle Field 2142

STALKER
June 7, 2007 5:33:13 PM

Quote:
Definately get S.T.A.L.K.E.R amazing shooter game prolly the best one out to date.

Uh-oh...I'd better cancel that proposed review of STALKER that I've been meaning to do, because I'll surely upset some folks like Rwsanford and Cafuddled. I was supremely disappointed with that game, and it was a real grind for me to keep playing it. I'm not one to complain about graphics and put the visuals ahead of gameplay, but STALKER looks way outdated to me.Plus, the RPG features weren't impressive and the open environment was, well, boring. The game just never clicked for me (admittedly, I haven't finished it yet so maybe it will really pick up in the last five hours, but I suspect not).
June 7, 2007 11:18:32 PM

Armed Assault - You want the most realistic combat sim you can get your hands on? ArmA is your game. It's best described as "Operation Flashpoint on steroids", updated for today's technology. Some love it, some hate it. If you love it, it'll be the most immersive combat FPS experience you'll have. If not, you'll want to pull your hair out and you'll quickly delete it.

STALKER - patched and with the graphical mods applied, this game is very sexy in the graphics department and is a nice mix of FPS with limited RPG elements. It might have an "old" graphics engine, but with decent hardware and the right tweaks and mods - it can and does look at LEAST as good as another other DirectX 9 FPS - if not better. It's also one of the most immersive games you'll play.

Oblivion - which you're already getting. Make sure you get the "Knights of the 9" DL pack and the "Shivering Isles" add-ons. Oh and if you can configure the game and tweak your OS properly, the game will run perfectly smooth on a decent gaming rig (including riding through dense forests on horse-back). I scratch my head over how many people fail to get that game running well on decent hardware (but hey, I do OS Technical support for a living, so I guess I've got a little more knowledge than your average gamer). I have a build document for my Oblivion install, so that gives you an idea of how much tweaking has gone into my OS & game installation.

Lock On, Modern Air Combat, with the Flaming Cliffs Add-on. If you like hi fidelity combat flight simulations - this is the only game worth playing (and I own a few others including Falcon 4 AF, but nothing comes close to LOMAC (low level aerobatics in combat jets through cities is a good test of your reactions and pretty good "machine killer" if the details settings are cranked up).

Silent Hunter 4: Currently the best WW2 Sub Sim (it's got a few bugs at the moment, but I haven't really encountered them and a new patch is due shortly v1.3).

IL2 Sturmovik 1946 - It's the final release in the IL2 series and contains the most planes, maps, campaigns & missions. Filling Allied bombers with hot lead while flying Me262's has never been so much fun!

Medieval 2: Total War - let the seige begin! Top notch strategy warfare at its finest, with a seriously good 3D battle engine. My best summation is that this game is the closest you'll get to a computerised version of a classic table top war game, but without all the boring dice rolls or arguments and it's got amazing graphics, sound and gameplay to boot.

Warhammer 40,000: Dark Crusade - this is Warhammer 40K, the way it was meant to be - not the way it was in "Dawn of War". A nice big campaign map, seriously intense RTS game play, no resource management, just a nice focus on the core of the the game - combat and strategically conquering the battlefield and your foes. For the record, I'm kinda of partial to the Space Marine Terminator units. Play the game and you should figure out why (it starts with a the word "gatling" and ends with "cannon").

Those would be my top picks - sorry for not sticking to 3!
June 8, 2007 1:25:40 AM

World of warcraft (because most of my friends plays it, and also because I finally hacked it out, got most of the offsets and made my own fishing/fighting bots, that feels very good. check it out at http://www.zolohouse.com/wow/wowFisher/)

StarCraft. Yes it is almost 10 years old, but I still didn't find anything as equal. I saw the bliz demo of starcraft 2, and that looks amazing. Let's hope the new quake can be equally impressive, I miss the good old doom days.
June 9, 2007 6:31:07 PM

Oblivion,Farcry,Medieval 2,and some will probably disagree but I think Call of Duty and esp. the UO expansion are still the best FPS out there.
June 9, 2007 6:39:40 PM

Quote:

Uh-oh...I'd better cancel that proposed review of STALKER that I've been meaning to do, because I'll surely upset some folks like Rwsanford and Cafuddled. I was supremely disappointed with that game, and it was a real grind for me to keep playing it. I'm not one to complain about graphics and put the visuals ahead of gameplay, but STALKER looks way outdated to me.Plus, the RPG features weren't impressive and the open environment was, well, boring. The game just never clicked for me (admittedly, I haven't finished it yet so maybe it will really pick up in the last five hours, but I suspect not).

Yeah, i'm with this guy. I had the game pre-ordered and was really psyched about it. I ended up being diappointed.

But as far as the ambient feel of the gamed, it is unmatched. When you start the game, it is about the most desperate and scary gaming experience. think about it. The first action sequence is you and a sidearm (dbl barrel shotgun if you find it) vs. about 6 angry ak weilding badasses. That is some scary stuff. also, being that vulnerable in a free-roaming environment is overwhelming.

I think this is about the best concept ever for a game, and i sure as hell want more rpg shooters. I just feel it wasn't totally successful.
June 15, 2007 4:23:36 PM

wow
civ4
medievil 2 total war
June 18, 2007 3:14:45 AM

Supreme Commander for the strategy, Company of Heroes (missed the 'o' and hit 'p'...) for the tactics. Call of Duty 1 for the amazing single player. And Red Orchestra for the great WWII multi player.
June 18, 2007 5:40:43 PM

I'll recommend Age of Empires 3. Yes, AOE2 is better in my opinion but it isn't online anymore. If you didn't own it on Xbox and have Vista, I'd recommend Halo 2. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas is also a blast if you didn't already play it on PS2/Xbox.
June 18, 2007 9:33:20 PM

since you already mentioned the hl series, here is my 3:

1) company of heroes
2) call of duty 2
3) bf2

one that looks like a lot of fun coming out next week: overlord. the demo is out now and it is really fun. you should definitely check it out.
June 19, 2007 3:04:42 AM

1. Far Cry (it looked really good back in 04)
2. FEAR (looks good and scared me more than Doom3)
3. Battlefield 2

Not to Hijack your posts, but....
Quote:
STALKER - patched and with the graphical mods applied, this game is very sexy in the graphics department and is a nice mix of FPS with limited RPG elements. It might have an "old" graphics engine, but with decent hardware and the right tweaks and mods - it can and does look at LEAST as good as another other DirectX 9 FPS - if not better. It's also one of the most immersive games you'll play.

I've tried to like STALKER, I've played it through twice and spent a fair amount of time just roaming around. I don't have any of the crashes most other people are reporting. The game is hard to suffer through until you get up to around Pripayt, then it becomes more run and gun and that's probably the only time I enjoyed the game.

Maybe it's nitpicking, but I just disagree with saying a game looks awesome after applying other people's Shader packs and graphical enhancements. Maybe I'm mad, cause all the mods I've added, cause the game to crash, but I think the game as to be judge on it's native self and not how many different mods can be added to make the game fun.

Patch 1.004 is due out soon, followed in a month or so by 1.005. I'd actually suggest people not bother with it until they get at least 1.004 released. The game has plenty of annoying little bugs, like AI clipping through walls and walking on air.
Like these little violations
http://images.filecloud.com/467566/Air_snork.jpg
http://images.filecloud.com/480644/air_monolith.jpg

And when you can't figure out ow you're getting shot, this picture answers it all. The AI Cheats
http://images1.filecloud.com/493728/Stalker_wallhack_ba...

I think Stalker when working correctly has the protential to be a pretty fun game, and patch 1.005 is suppose to add a free roam mode. Right now, it's kinda fun, with a interesting story and plenty of annoying little bugs.
!