settings not being saved in administrator account

July 26, 2004 11:16:54 PM

settings not being saved in administrator account in XP pro.
I did a search at win update and only found 15 references that really didn't
hit the question.

I have 2 accounts administrator type, but don't need 2. I'm the only one using
this machine.
This machine seems to do exactly what it wants to do.
For the past few weeks I've been trying to make the admin account the main
account and just use that one and delete my 2nd one and just set up one of
those others that has to exist as the backup admin account.

I can't get the admin account to save the most basic settings. ie: every boot
you need to change the mouse settings. It can't add wallpaper from another
drive, it can't use the slide show screen saver cause the pix are on another
drive.
folder settings disappear immediately after you close and reopen a folder.
And the list goes on from there.

It has considered the admin account the default user and boot to it when it has
a problem. Trouble is I have to reset stuff then log into the backup account
cause the admin is worthless..

How do I make the admin account work like the 2nd account ?

July 26, 2004 11:16:55 PM

HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message:

| settings not being saved in administrator account in XP pro.
| I did a search at win update and only found 15 references that really didn't
| hit the question.
|
| I have 2 accounts administrator type, but don't need 2. I'm the only one using
| this machine.
| This machine seems to do exactly what it wants to do.
| For the past few weeks I've been trying to make the admin account the main
| account and just use that one and delete my 2nd one and just set up one of
| those others that has to exist as the backup admin account.
|
| I can't get the admin account to save the most basic settings. ie: every boot
| you need to change the mouse settings. It can't add wallpaper from another
| drive, it can't use the slide show screen saver cause the pix are on another
| drive.
| folder settings disappear immediately after you close and reopen a folder.
| And the list goes on from there.
|
| It has considered the admin account the default user and boot to it when it has
| a problem. Trouble is I have to reset stuff then log into the backup account
| cause the admin is worthless..
|
| How do I make the admin account work like the 2nd account ?
|

| more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 8:01:28 AM

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:39:25 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

I'll keep these for future reference. Everything was so screwed up that it
couldn't even handle a update install of the OS.
I just did a complete reinstall and nibbled things down to just 2 accounts and
setup the way I wanted it.
Why the store figured I needed 4 accounts I have no idea. But it seems to be
fine now.

>HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp
>
>HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders in Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

July 28, 2004 12:27:53 AM

Log into the affected account and click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Look in the right pane for a value called NoSaveSettings. If it exists, it should be set to 0 (zero). If not, double click NoSaveSettings and change it. If it doesn't exist, right click in a blank area of the right pane, select New, DWord value and name it NoSaveSettings. Leave it at 0.

Repeat the above for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.