Shuttle Mini-PC

VolatileAgent

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2002
I read the review of the ShuttleSS51G XPC mini-pc.
This seems like it would work well for my kids as a gaming machine and meet my needs also.
Anyone have experience building one of these. Any really BAD experiences or hidden problems I should be aware of?
Thx.

Defective

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2002
I built one of the P4 w/AGP slot Mini-PCs for a friend. They go together pretty easy. If you are using a 533 FSB chip then you will need to set the FSB in the bios. It didnt autodetect the sys clock. The same goes with the memory.

The clamps on the heatsink were abit annoying but not too bad. They offer a sliced and bunched ribbon cable for the CD drive that I recommend using the enclosed tie-wraps on to route. Definitly read the instructions. I didnt use the floppy. I would take the advice the THG article offers and install a second small fan somewhere if you install a hot video card. Finding a spot those can be a challenge.

I plan on buying one when I get the extra cash. Perfect for a LAN box.

--------------

Stupidity should be painful.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just remember, they only have three bays, you can only use one CD device, one removable media drive (floppy or substitute), and one hard drive. And you only get one PCI slot.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, one KJY9 had one (he's a pretty senior guy over at SharkyForums) and he had a P4 1.8A o/ced to 2.4GHz and a Xabre 400 128MB, 512MB Mushkin PC3000 and a 40GB HDD. It ran real good (~7700 3D Marks) till it one day just died. BTW, he had a Shuttle SS51. IIRC the PSU just died. So if you're planning on some real power sucking components, you might wanna thing twice.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

DrSchlotkins

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2002
Just in case you are still thinking, I have a SS51G with a 2.4gig, GF 4600, and a 10k SCSI drive. No problems - running great.

Schlotkins