Starcraft 2!!!! :D

Tags:
  • Starcraft 2
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
May 19, 2007 7:01:01 AM

http://au.pc.gamespy.com/pc/starcraft-2/790124p1.html

omg omg omg yay starcraft 2 woo!
I was worried that there was another mmo in the works but now that can be put to rest. :D . Sadly theres no other info at the moment apart from the announcement (the event is going to last for the weekend should be more info). BUT apparently there was a trailer for it, so it should show up on youtube soon...

Yes I know this is the CPU sub-forum but dewd...its...starcraft...

More about : starcraft

May 19, 2007 8:16:09 AM

koreans are fainting already
May 19, 2007 8:27:47 AM

Quote:
koreans are fainting already

fainting? I'm sure there's a few progaming koreans out there that dusted off SC1 to get their practice on, and are now well on their way to dying like a few of the other too-addicted-to-maintain-my-health gaming addicts out there... luck to blizzard.. wish it was D3 :( 
Related resources
May 19, 2007 8:34:21 AM

"not a cpu" LOL

on a different, yet related note (since it's also RTS) there is a new expansion pack for Age of Empires III in the making (Asian Dynasties)... they HAD to release this on the day that blizzard announces SC2, huh? that's a huge overshadowing waiting to happen...
May 19, 2007 8:52:29 AM

Quote:

This thread should be moved.

Yeh I feel stupid for posting this in the cpu forum now, my apologies people. :oops: 
Does anyone else think that the graphics for SC2 look very dated like 04ish?

also for those that have not seen it yet http://fallout.bethsoft.com/ theres a new concept image and there looks to be a trailer/teaser in 2 and a bit weeks time.
May 19, 2007 9:18:12 AM

Even in CPU part of the forum.. This sounds wonderfull !! :) 
May 19, 2007 9:43:34 AM

What are they planning to release that in 10 years maybe.
May 19, 2007 10:03:04 AM

better news than the R600 if you ask me!! :D  :D  :D 
May 19, 2007 10:15:12 AM

.......that's for... fallout.....3 ........ which should be badass bro...
and

OMG SC 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: i have been waiting years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:  8O :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 
May 19, 2007 10:58:36 AM

yah same here...time to go bring back my old U1TRALISK name ..
damn it feels ancient..lol
May 19, 2007 10:59:59 AM

no no....no this can`t be true. i never was one to play games just for graphics but those screenshots look more like warcraft 3. and there was a mod once (search it on youtube) which turned command and conquer generals into some kind of starcraft.
that kind of engine can`t be chosen by blizzard, as it takes away all of starcraft`s grim atmosphere. that can`t be starcraft. it just isn`t, it doesn`t have the starcraft feel.
it`s a stupid joke or something and the screenshots are taken from that c&c mod (with improved graphics quality, no doubt that) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyW7LfKlyrI
May 19, 2007 11:25:14 AM

CPU related or not, it's Starcraft!

I've killed many nights hitting the bong and playing Starcraft online. I'm looking forward to this. Sweet!
May 19, 2007 11:51:37 AM

http://www.starcraft2.com/
The official site for SC2 theres a trailer that I was on about earlier as well as a faq that doesn't give much info and other random bits of info.

No xel'naga or hybrids as new playable races just the 3 :( . Im looking very forward to hearing more about SC2, Fallout 3 in the near future. As well as K10.
May 19, 2007 12:48:46 PM

i guess it`s official...they ruined it. from the screenshots it`s just starcraft with a pretty lame 3d engine. with rts` like supreme commander, blizzard makes another game in which a battlecruiser can be taken down by a squad of marines....wow...this could have been the best game in history and they just ruined it.
guess it was time to make some money....
May 19, 2007 12:52:04 PM

what about Samir Duran?
wasn't he doing experiments on protoss and zerg to fuse them?
(bonuslevels SC1)

can't wait to play this game :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 
May 19, 2007 12:54:28 PM

from what i remember, the protoss and the zerg once had a common ancestor or something like that. i don`t remember this very well but you are given this information in the last mission with the zerg from what i recall. so "fusing" them would be....i don`t know i just wouldn`t like the idea.
May 19, 2007 1:35:20 PM

Quote:
.......that's for... fallout.....3 ........ which should be badass bro...
and

OMG SC 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: i have been waiting years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:  8O :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 

:trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

SC2 FTW! :D  :D  :D  :D 
May 19, 2007 1:43:15 PM

From what I remember both the Protoss and the Zerg where experiments of the ancient Xel Naga race.

Both went wrong ...
The Protoss had a series of civil wars .
The Zerg attacked the Xel Naga world ship (and probably destroyed it).

The second game will have to be great, as the first one even today looks pretty, it just lacks some resolution scaling (and a full 3D engine).

I don't expect too much... as Supreme Commander was a waste.
After Diablo2 Blizzard sailed off into a strange direction ...

WarCraft3 was somewhat of a letdown...
May 19, 2007 2:08:53 PM

My cousin was addicted to the original starcraft, the guy worked 12 hours a day, came home and played well into the night, I never played it, but he says it's one of the best games ever made. Im playing homeworld right now, its a good game, gonna get homeworld 2, and i also am playuing freespace 2 (still) with a battlestar galactica mod. These kind of games rock, they should bring out more.
May 19, 2007 2:28:48 PM

Quote:
My cousin was addicted to the original starcraft, the guy worked 12 hours a day, came home and played well into the night, I never played it, but he says it's one of the best games ever made. Im playing homeworld right now, its a good game, gonna get homeworld 2, and i also am playuing freespace 2 (still) with a battlestar galactica mod. These kind of games rock, they should bring out more.

homeworld is so cool, I play homaworld 2 for some time, and is much much better than HW1, those reserches were so slow in HW1, in HW2 thwey are made faster, so the game is playble in multiplayer.
I wish for a combination between starcraft 2 and homeworld, not the storyline but the games planet surface and inspace action as well.
that would be awesome.
May 19, 2007 3:10:12 PM

i hope they release D3 after this :D 
in my opinion the best two games ever made: SC and Diablo2
May 19, 2007 5:42:28 PM

i don`t get it...they keep boasting that SC2`s engine can render "very large units" but the units have the same proportions as in the original starcraft...
May 19, 2007 6:00:20 PM

I actually think the graphics look pretty good (IMO better than C&C 3 and Supreme Commander)

BUT

Graphics never made Starcraft - yeah the gritty atmosphere was awesome but that came mostly from the cutscenes/voiceovers - what made Starcraft was that there were three equally balanced races. No other company to this day can claim to have created a game that was as balanced as Starcraft - it will be interesting to see if Blizzard can do it again (I hope they're not going to use the people that are balancing the classes in WoW...)
May 19, 2007 6:47:29 PM

Yay SC2 , but i was really looking forward for a diablo 3 as well. I wanna know what Tyreal meant by your world will be change forever? And it would look so awesome in 3d.
May 19, 2007 6:50:41 PM

Quote:
no no....no this can`t be true. i never was one to play games just for graphics but those screenshots look more like warcraft 3. and there was a mod once (search it on youtube) which turned command and conquer generals into some kind of starcraft.
that kind of engine can`t be chosen by blizzard, as it takes away all of starcraft`s grim atmosphere. that can`t be starcraft. it just isn`t, it doesn`t have the starcraft feel.
it`s a stupid joke or something and the screenshots are taken from that c&c mod (with improved graphics quality, no doubt that) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyW7LfKlyrI

The mod is no more. They got emailed by blizzard.
May 19, 2007 7:12:59 PM

Quote:
rom the screenshots it`s just starcraft with a pretty lame 3d engine.

That's the point, this is starcraft dude, it's all about game play baby!!!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  Is anyone as excited as I am?!?!?!??!? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
May 19, 2007 7:16:27 PM

I wonder if "zerging" will still be a vaild tactic... :) 
May 19, 2007 7:23:53 PM

I rememeber back in the day when I would play sc all weekend long on our pentium 133. Such a piece of crap but it ran sc, i'm getting all nostalgic now thinking about it. Can't wait for sc2, game looks awesome, and the cinematics alone are worth the cost of the game imo, I've always been a HUGE fan of their cinematics.

GO STARCRAFT 2! Zirfnon will reign again!
May 19, 2007 7:59:00 PM

What is Starcraft, and why do I not feel compelled to follow the link? :p 

I refuse to play any game that people like a lot. I have seen the effects of EverCrack on College students.

It is the government I tell you, they are selling the EverCrack to repress Middle class White and Asian kids everywhere!!!!! :oops: 
May 19, 2007 8:13:47 PM

I won't be able to sleep for weeks. :lol: 
May 19, 2007 8:25:49 PM

Quote:
I won't be able to sleep for weeks. :lol: 

me too
May 19, 2007 10:22:46 PM

i just wish that they would have made true space battles, in homeworld style (and get rid of stuff like a bunch of marines being able to take down a battlecruiser), some advanced unit commands (like the ability to patrol a designated area and not just in a straight line), units with multiple weapons which can fire at the same time and borrow some ideas from games like total annihilation, homeworld, supreme commander etc....

i never cared about graphics too much but i must admit...i never played warcraft 3 because all those colors made it look like a childish game. i mean, humans battle the orcs, it's the worst war humanity ever fought and all those colors should be a little grayed out if you know what i mean.
i can`t find my words in english...but it`s the same reason why a war movie will never be as colored as shrek for example...it`s the same situation here. starcraft 2 is the war movie which looks like shrek.
May 19, 2007 10:42:06 PM

Quote:

I might try out Homeworld myself... never really played the original StarCraft (was an AoE2 fan), but I'll probably pick that up as well.

And FreeSpace 2 is in a league of its own... best space sim ever made, kickass story that unfortunately won't be complete unless FreeSpace 3 is released, which is very unlikely.
May 20, 2007 12:18:08 AM

Hey on the starcraft 2 web site in the faq it states something about possibly updating the current dx9 engine into a dx10 whilst keeping the dx9 engine. And by that statement and a couple of others it looks like it wont be out for 1-2 years.
May 20, 2007 10:25:14 AM

Quote:
i just wish that they would have made true space battles, in homeworld style (and get rid of stuff like a bunch of marines being able to take down a battlecruiser), some advanced unit commands (like the ability to patrol a designated area and not just in a straight line), units with multiple weapons which can fire at the same time and borrow some ideas from games like total annihilation, homeworld, supreme commander etc....

the holy trinity of all times: STARCRAFT , TOTAL ANNIHILATION , HOMEWORLD

too bad there is no one to fuse them in one gigantic ultimate RTS :cry: 

Quote:
i never cared about graphics too much but i must admit...i never played warcraft 3 because all those colors made it look like a childish game. i mean, humans battle the orcs, it's the worst war humanity ever fought and all those colors should be a little grayed out if you know what i mean.
i can`t find my words in english...but it`s the same reason why a war movie will never be as colored as shrek for example...it`s the same situation here. starcraft 2 is the war movie which looks like shrek.

the same feeling here, f**k shreklike games, and movies ( except shrek ofcourse :lol:  )
May 20, 2007 9:31:47 PM

I almost pissed myself watching the YOuTUbe World Invitation, Starcraft 2 Trailer :(  It's So beautiful.... It's been so long

If this released with ATI Being a Sponsoring Graphic Card than it would sell like a crap load of graphics cards only for the Starcraft name(WTF it almost has Multi-Million Combined on Youtube for it's trailers) and Barcelona would be a good match with this game and ATI Cards(XTX/XTX2)(if they release at a similar time)
May 21, 2007 1:26:44 PM

Quote:
I almost pissed myself watching the YOuTUbe World Invitation, Starcraft 2 Trailer :(  It's So beautiful.... It's been so long

If this released with ATI Being a Sponsoring Graphic Card than it would sell like a crap load of graphics cards only for the Starcraft name(WTF it almost has Multi-Million Combined on Youtube for it's trailers) and Barcelona would be a good match with this game and ATI Cards(XTX/XTX2)(if they release at a similar time)

Probably won't come out for 1.5-2years... it will have no impact on AMD in the near term.
May 21, 2007 7:11:21 PM

And maybe its the less serious gfx look that makes Blizzard games so much fun to play. Blizzard doens't jump on the boat of what everyone else does. They do their own thing and they make it great. Honestly, WoW with its blocky characters doesn't detract from its great play and stories. I never played WC3, but I have heard it was good for some, and bad for some based on GFX alone.

And how much innovation is needed to make a RTS good? Supreme Commander allows for two monitors to be used. One completely devoted to the Map and the other for your army. But is it neccesary for it to be a great RTS? NO, its a perk.

I say a good story, with a very balanced set of units for each race, and great sound is all you need to make a succesful RTS. You don't even need a new race to make a new iteration of a old game sucessful. Blizzard has a wonderful streak of gaming greats, so expect something new out of the old in Starcraft 2.
May 22, 2007 2:07:16 PM

Couldn't find my starcraft games... ordering old games again... I'm in the mood!!!
May 22, 2007 5:20:17 PM

heh, I played the first two brood war missions last night. ;-)
May 22, 2007 8:56:13 PM

I, too, reloaded Starcraft and Brood War and played through most of the Terran campaign last night.

Re: Homeworld

Homeworld fans should check out Sins of a Solar Empire. It could be the next big outerspace RTS...or it could be garbage. It's one to start tracking, though.
!