Best looking game out today with everything maxed.

Romstar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
I am getting all of my computer parts monday and I will hpoefully put my rig together monday. On teusday I want to show off my rig to my friends(yeah I know im a nerd). Anyways I was wondering what is the best looking game out today that I could buy and show off.

racingman24

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2007
I think in some candidates, not only one. I think good looking games that I played:

Rainbow Six: Vegas
F.E.A.R.
Half Life 2 (The face of people looks awesome)
Far Cry
Prey
Quake 4
Doom 3
Unreal Tournament 2004
Company Of Heroes (look so great too)

Really depend on game engine for example Unreal Engine is amazing, is using in some game today, Doom 3 engine too (Prey, Quake 4 y Doom 3 is the same engine).

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
For someone who has never seen it the intense "bullet time" of FEAR is fairly impressive - if you have the hardware.

Even my girlfriend was impressed.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
F.E.A.R.

Lost Planet Demo

Battlefield 2142

Supreme Commander

Command & Conquer 3

Oblivion(nice)

Company of Heroes

Just go to your local game store and just browse for the game that requires the highest minimal or recommended specs.

I just went for supreme commander as it is probably the most demanding lol.

SupCom is not as graphically intensive as it is CPU and Memory intensive. It will make your System cry if it can't process the hundreds of units it has to keep track of. The graphics are good though if you have a decent card.

Oblivion outdoors will make any video card wheep. Company of Hero's looks REALLY good to. Far Cry can be run on any somewhat decent video card because it has been around but for its time and even now since it is year old STILL looks good.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006

SupCom is not as graphically intensive as it is CPU and Memory intensive. It will make your System cry if it can't process the hundreds of units it has to keep track of. The graphics are good though if you have a decent card.

Oblivion outdoors will make any video card wheep. Company of Hero's looks REALLY good to. Far Cry can be run on any somewhat decent video card because it has been around but for its time and even now since it is year old STILL looks good.

I would say the bare minimum graphics card to run SupCom nicely, is a X1800/7900GT. And 2GB of ram obviously. :tongue:

Not to mention some sort of high powered Dual-Core CPU or QuadCore.

I would say the bare minimum graphics card to run SupCom nicely, is a X1800/7900GT. And 2GB of ram obviously. :tongue:

Not to mention some sort of high powered Dual-Core CPU or QuadCore.

I can run SupCom at 1680x1050 maxed out with vsync off at 30fps. which is pretty fine for a RTS. But you can easily crank them down to get 50-60fps. You are right though the x1800/7900gt is about the lowest you wanna go cause the lowest settings look horrible.

2GB of Ram is a MUST. my buddy hosted this on his server with 8GB's and about 6 people and it consumed 4.5 GB of Ram.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
I think the textures in Gothic 3 have some stunning detail.. shame the game is so unstable..

Tomb Raider Legend with next gen also looked stunning especially now the hardware has caught up. Anniversary also looks nice.

Colin McRay Dirt looks stunning.. just played the demo.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I second the nominations of FEAR, Oblivion and Company of Heroes. Great-looking games. Actually, great games period.

As for the Lost Planet demo, it also looks excellent. However -- I may catch hell for this -- after playing it and testing it here in the lab, I can't say it looks that much better than the Xbox 360 version. Maybe a few bits here and there, but overall, there's very little difference to the naked eye. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

More stuff coming next week on the DX10 demos....

Boofnutz

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
Riding around the countryside on a horse in Oblivion is the worst frame rate killer I have experienced, and I own ALL of the games the previous posters have mentioned.

MikeGR7

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Play Infernal!

Also play INFERNAL!

The game is just perfect. With everything maxed out and 1600X1200 16Q AA + 16XAF the game smokes all i've ever seen in my 8800!
From the first stage in the club my eyes DROPPED with the amazing lighting, depth of field and lifelike colors. The music rocks but really my new LG 19'' CRT produces the kind of black and contrast levels that made me high in this game.
Not to mention that motion is fluid like water!
Try it.
Btw i don't use the ageia card but it is said to improve it even more!
Not so sure about framerate issues with ageia though...

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Jay2tall said:
Far Cry can be run on any somewhat decent video card because it has been around but for its time and even now since it is year old STILL looks good.

To further help your claim, the game was actually 3 years old in march. I couldn't believe it when I saw the release date. And yes, that game still looks damn good. Especially if you render in the "Cold" setting.

Vegas
Dirt
Oblivion

BTW, you can also d/l a bunch of the nVidia DX10 demos and really show your friends what's up. 3DMark06 is nice too.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I vote for Oblivion too. You should see the draw distance difference over the XBox 360, it's not even a comparison. The 360 enables you to see things ahead of you (outdoors) about 100 yards out at the most. You can see the textures being drawn and watch wolves pop up. It's rather pathetic. This is why I just spent $650 on an Opteron 185 and that awesomely priced 640mb 8800 GTS that's OC'd to GTX speeds and has the free Dark Messiah game. wOOt! Check it out on the Egg, you can't beat the price for an 8800 and I really wouldn't recommend anyone buying any other card but that one right now! As for future games, make sure to get Crysis. It's gonna knock you down.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars looks pretty sweet too, but it's not out yet.

http://www.twitchguru.com/picturegalleries/gallery-200706041-1.html

If that's a game that came out with the launch of the PS3, it'd likely be that PS3's were outselling the XBox and competing better with the Wii right now. Hell, Sony would've done themselves well to prolong the PS3 until now just to have some good release titles. Who cares about their stupid Blu-Ray, they made a HUGE investment on the cell proc and if they really wanted Blu-Ray to take over they could've done the add-on thing like XBox did. Poor leadership. This is why a GREAT manager is also a good leader, and not just a motivator.

GijsJUH

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Rainbow Six Vegas all the way! Look very nice, en plays very good... didn't botherd me until the end!
Also FEAR is a real nice game...But, Vegas is just better.... Best game for now if it on me!

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
To me, The Chronicles of Riddick with everything maxed out stands out. Not to mention, I think it is one of the most underappreciated games of all times. It is effing awesome. Especially if you are into the whole Pitch Black / The Chronicles of Riddick movie thing. I recommend watching the movies first.

It just blends in with the story. Make sure to max out the shader model. I didn't play it at that setting, as it brough my (admittedly old) gfx card to its knees...)

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
To me, The Chronicles of Riddick with everything maxed out stands out. Not to mention, I think it is one of the most underappreciated games of all times. It is effing awesome. Especially if you are into the whole Pitch Black / The Chronicles of Riddick movie thing. I recommend watching the movies first.

It just blends in with the story. Make sure to max out the shader model. I didn't play it at that setting, as it brough my (admittedly old) gfx card to its knees...)

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
If you want something that will really test it's limits try Flight Simulator X on max settings. (Will bring any system to it's knees)
And NeverwinterNights 2. The graphics look primitive for the first hour or so. But once you get a look at everything you see that everything is beautifully detailed. And it has some of the best shadows I've ever seen.