ISP password

My computer is set to remember the password for dial-up internet access. In
the DUN password box, the password is displayed as a series of *s, as
normal. What surprises me is that the number of *s is greater than the
number of characters in my password. It has all worked for the few weeks
I've had the PC, so I haven't worried about this, although I have wondered
why.

However, yesterday it failed to connect to the ISP on several consecutive
attempts. So I re-entered the password and it connected first time. When I
typed in the password, there were as many *s shown as characters I typed.
However, next time I used DUN, more *s were shown, although again it seemed
to work.

Can anyone throw any light on this mystery, please?
6 answers Last reply
More about password

    Paul;
    That is normal.
    It is masking the correct number of characters to make it harder to
    guess the password.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Paul" <none> wrote in message
    > My computer is set to remember the password for dial-up internet
    access. In
    > the DUN password box, the password is displayed as a series of *s,
    as
    > normal. What surprises me is that the number of *s is greater than
    the
    > number of characters in my password. It has all worked for the few
    weeks
    > I've had the PC, so I haven't worried about this, although I have
    wondered
    > why.
    >
    > However, yesterday it failed to connect to the ISP on several
    consecutive
    > attempts. So I re-entered the password and it connected first time.
    When I
    > typed in the password, there were as many *s shown as characters I
    typed.
    > However, next time I used DUN, more *s were shown, although again it
    seemed
    > to work.
    >
    > Can anyone throw any light on this mystery, please?

    I remember having, "Don't panic! Your password is correct! It just looks wrong!" in my signature for the longest :)

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message news:uV3ukE7cEHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Paul;
    > That is normal.
    > It is masking the correct number of characters to make it harder to
    > guess the password.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Paul" <none> wrote in message
    >> My computer is set to remember the password for dial-up internet
    > access. In
    >> the DUN password box, the password is displayed as a series of *s,
    > as
    >> normal. What surprises me is that the number of *s is greater than
    > the
    >> number of characters in my password. It has all worked for the few
    > weeks
    >> I've had the PC, so I haven't worried about this, although I have
    > wondered
    >> why.
    >>
    >> However, yesterday it failed to connect to the ISP on several
    > consecutive
    >> attempts. So I re-entered the password and it connected first time.
    > When I
    >> typed in the password, there were as many *s shown as characters I
    > typed.
    >> However, next time I used DUN, more *s were shown, although again it
    > seemed
    >> to work.
    >>
    >> Can anyone throw any light on this mystery, please?

    I think I vaguely remember that.

    Sometimes it is hard not to laugh when someone posts, and they keep
    changing the password to make correct
    They do not try to see if it works...which it would, so they put
    themselves in an endless circle..

    --

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    I remember having, "Don't panic! Your password is correct! It just
    looks wrong!" in my signature for the longest :)

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    Thanks for the replies. In my case I left things alone (although
    unexplained) whilst things appeared to be working and only re-entered the
    password when there was a problem. Now I know to ignore the number of *s. Do
    stored passwords sometimes get corrupted (as seems to have happened to
    mine)? If so, is there a reason? I mean, is there something that is known to
    trigger this occurrence that I should avoid?

    Thanks.
    Paul

    > I think I vaguely remember that.
    >
    > Sometimes it is hard not to laugh when someone posts, and they keep
    > changing the password to make correct
    > They do not try to see if it works...which it would, so they put
    > themselves in an endless circle..
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > I remember having, "Don't panic! Your password is correct! It just
    > looks wrong!" in my signature for the longest :)
    >
    > --
    > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    Yes, the Registry key for stored passwords can become corrupted.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264672
    OLEXP: Your Outlook Express Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259416
    OL2000: (IMO) Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or Windows XP

    For a trimmed down version: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_oe_passwords.htm

    The above also applies to Internet Explorer and other applications that use the Protected Storage System Provider registry key to store passwords.

    "Paul" <none> wrote in message news:ek5DUKIdEHA.3632@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks for the replies. In my case I left things alone (although
    > unexplained) whilst things appeared to be working and only re-entered the
    > password when there was a problem. Now I know to ignore the number of *s. Do
    > stored passwords sometimes get corrupted (as seems to have happened to
    > mine)? If so, is there a reason? I mean, is there something that is known to
    > trigger this occurrence that I should avoid?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Paul
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> I think I vaguely remember that.
    >>
    >> Sometimes it is hard not to laugh when someone posts, and they keep
    >> changing the password to make correct
    >> They do not try to see if it works...which it would, so they put
    >> themselves in an endless circle..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>

    >> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> I remember having, "Don't panic! Your password is correct! It just
    >> looks wrong!" in my signature for the longest :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    Paul;
    My password has been corrupted at least once.
    It was resolved as easily as yours simply by imputing it again.

    By the way, I did not mean I was laughing at you as your situation is
    different since you successfully use the password with extra
    characters.

    --

    "Paul" <none> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the replies. In my case I left things alone (although
    > unexplained) whilst things appeared to be working and only
    re-entered the
    > password when there was a problem. Now I know to ignore the number
    of *s. Do
    > stored passwords sometimes get corrupted (as seems to have happened
    > mine)? If so, is there a reason? I mean, is there something that is
    known to
    > trigger this occurrence that I should avoid?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Paul
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > > I think I vaguely remember that.
    > >
    > > Sometimes it is hard not to laugh when someone posts, and they
    keep
    > > changing the password to make correct
    > > They do not try to see if it works...which it would, so they put
    > > themselves in an endless circle..
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > >

    > > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > I remember having, "Don't panic! Your password is correct! It
    just
    > > looks wrong!" in my signature for the longest :)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display
    > > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > > http://www.dougknox.com
    > > Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    > > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
    > > Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    > > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Internet Access Internet Service Providers Dial Up Connection Windows XP