Is Impale Bugged?

I don't mean the speed of the attack, although it would have been nice
and informative if the explanation for the skill also mentioned that it
is a much slower attack in addition to their information regarding
weapon durability.

Seems like the attack never hits and I'm not talking about times that
the attack gets interrupted.

I have the idea of when and when not to use it.

Example of use and wondering about a bug:

Pack of beasts all dead and just the boss remaining and the boss is
Lightning Immune. Merc and Valk tank boss. I pop a Decoy near them also
to take a few hits.

So I run around to the other side to attack the boss as he is taking
swings at my valk and merc. I figure a few good impales without any
interruptions are gonna take this boss down. He's swinging at the valk
and merc.

So begin the Impale. Thrust. No hit. Repeat. Thrust. No hit. Repeat.
Thrust. No hit. Repeat. Thrust. Still no hit. I can see the valk and
merc hitting it. I continue but to no avail. And Impale has an
increased attack rating. I continue the charade of thrusting and
missing just to see how long the fiasco can continue. No hits. I back
off and watch the valk and merc take down the boss dealing it damage at
the same rate as when the Spearazon was up there thrusting away. Now I
know probability and I know that what I just witnessed defies the
"laws" of probability.

Something is not right here. Oh I do see an occassional "Impale"
connect, but then again every attack should give at least 5% chance to
hit, even a bugged one. I expect that the programmers have the minimum
of 5% set in there so that even if there is a bug the 5% minimum should
at least prevail.

Kaytie asked me if my weapon breaks. I wanted to reply "How can it
break if it hardly ever hits". The thing is I only use Impale in
specific situations. Fend has worked well in battling next to the merc
and valk aganst a pack of Lightning Immunes. And Jab had done well if
it is just one normal beast that is LI.

But I had calculated that Impale could be the big LI boss damager and
from what I see in the description it could be. You just have to set
yourself up location wise so the attack does not get interrupted.

And please do not ask me if the boss was Physical Immune, I know better
and a few times have just walked away from the LI, PI bosses after
laying all the minions to waste.
So does anyone know anything about this?

Orion Ryder

On 19 Jan 2005 06:29:13 -0800, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
wrote:

[snip]

>So begin the Impale. Thrust. No hit. Repeat. Thrust. No hit. Repeat.
>Thrust. No hit. Repeat. Thrust. Still no hit. I can see the valk and
>merc hitting it. I continue but to no avail. And Impale has an
>increased attack rating. I continue the charade of thrusting and
>missing just to see how long the fiasco can continue. No hits. I back
>off and watch the valk and merc take down the boss dealing it damage at
>the same rate as when the Spearazon was up there thrusting away. Now I
>know probability and I know that what I just witnessed defies the
>"laws" of probability.

[snip]
>So does anyone know anything about this?
>
>Orion Ryder

Did you try attacking from another position?
I've seen situations where standing at one position, it seems nothing
connects, but then a retreat and attack from a different direction
allows the attack to hit.

Sometimes it seems related to where the monster is standing (ie next
to a wall). Getting the monster to move allows the attack to connect.

This is with any character / skill.
It's all very annoying in any case.

noneyabusiness <me@you.com> typed as if devouring a plate of spoo:
> On 19 Jan 2005 06:29:13 -0800, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>
>> So begin the Impale. Thrust. No hit. Repeat. Thrust. No hit. Repeat.
>> Thrust. No hit. Repeat. Thrust. Still no hit. I can see the valk and
>> merc hitting it. I continue but to no avail. And Impale has an
>> increased attack rating. I continue the charade of thrusting and
>> missing just to see how long the fiasco can continue. No hits. I back
>> off and watch the valk and merc take down the boss dealing it damage
>> at the same rate as when the Spearazon was up there thrusting away.
>> Now I know probability and I know that what I just witnessed defies
>> the "laws" of probability.
>>
> [snip]
>> So does anyone know anything about this?
>>
>> Orion Ryder
>
> Did you try attacking from another position?
> I've seen situations where standing at one position, it seems nothing
> connects, but then a retreat and attack from a different direction
> allows the attack to hit.
>
> Sometimes it seems related to where the monster is standing (ie next
> to a wall). Getting the monster to move allows the attack to connect.
>
> This is with any character / skill.
> It's all very annoying in any case.

Yup, I've had it happen with Jab, Fend, Concentrate, Magic Arrow, Guided
Arrow, Ice Blast, Fire Bolt, normal attack... happens to mercs too.

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

"EvilBill" <quake2lives@gmail.com> wrote in message
> noneyabusiness <me@you.com> typed as if devouring a plate of spoo:
> > On 19 Jan 2005 06:29:13 -0800, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >>
> >> So begin the Impale. Thrust. No hit. Repeat. Thrust. No hit. Repeat.
> >> Thrust. No hit. Repeat. Thrust. Still no hit. I can see the valk and
> >> merc hitting it. I continue but to no avail. And Impale has an
> >> increased attack rating. I continue the charade of thrusting and
> >> missing just to see how long the fiasco can continue. No hits. I back
> >> off and watch the valk and merc take down the boss dealing it damage
> >> at the same rate as when the Spearazon was up there thrusting away.
> >> Now I know probability and I know that what I just witnessed defies
> >> the "laws" of probability.
> >>
> > [snip]
> >> So does anyone know anything about this?
> >>
> >> Orion Ryder
> >
> > Did you try attacking from another position?
> > I've seen situations where standing at one position, it seems nothing
> > connects, but then a retreat and attack from a different direction
> > allows the attack to hit.
> >
> > Sometimes it seems related to where the monster is standing (ie next
> > to a wall). Getting the monster to move allows the attack to connect.
> >
> > This is with any character / skill.
> > It's all very annoying in any case.

> Yup, I've had it happen with Jab, Fend, Concentrate, Magic Arrow, Guided
> Arrow, Ice Blast, Fire Bolt, normal attack... happens to mercs too.

> There is no spoon.
>
> EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
> My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
> Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

With Fend it sometimes helps to hold down your shift key and aim away from a
monster. I think it automatically targets the closest monster. I assumed
my hitting problems with fend were from aiming for a monster out of range in
a pack. Maybe it would help with solo kills too.

=Steve

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 01:14:48 GMT, "Steve W"
<stwysongREMOVE@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"EvilBill" <quake2lives@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> noneyabusiness <me@you.com> typed as if devouring a plate of spoo:
>> > On 19 Jan 2005 06:29:13 -0800, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > [snip]

>> > [snip]

>> > Did you try attacking from another position?
>> > I've seen situations where standing at one position, it seems nothing
>> > connects, but then a retreat and attack from a different direction
>> > allows the attack to hit.
>> >
>> > Sometimes it seems related to where the monster is standing (ie next
>> > to a wall). Getting the monster to move allows the attack to connect.
>> >
>> > This is with any character / skill.
>> > It's all very annoying in any case.

>> Yup, I've had it happen with Jab, Fend, Concentrate, Magic Arrow, Guided
>> Arrow, Ice Blast, Fire Bolt, normal attack... happens to mercs too.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> There is no spoon.
>>
>> EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
>> My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
>> Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
>>

>With Fend it sometimes helps to hold down your shift key and aim away from a
>monster. I think it automatically targets the closest monster. I assumed
>my hitting problems with fend were from aiming for a monster out of range in
>a pack. Maybe it would help with solo kills too.
>
>=Steve

That's what I do with other skills too (especially Zeal).
That way the weapon's range doesn't limit your attack.

Steve W <stwysongREMOVE@sbcglobal.net> typed as if devouring a plate of
spoo:
> "EvilBill" <quake2lives@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Yup, I've had it happen with Jab, Fend, Concentrate, Magic Arrow,
>> Guided Arrow, Ice Blast, Fire Bolt, normal attack... happens to
>> mercs too.
>>

> With Fend it sometimes helps to hold down your shift key and aim away
> from a monster. I think it automatically targets the closest
> monster. I assumed my hitting problems with fend were from aiming
> for a monster out of range in a pack. Maybe it would help with solo
> kills too.
>
> =Steve

Cool, I'll give that a go :)